Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister in law is considering getting a Rottweiler puppy from JasperRanch. Has anyone had an experience with them, good or bad? Any more info is welcome!

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Could not find much information. They don't have a website to look up the dogs registered names and titles. They are selling puppies on AKC Marketplace which is never a good sign. :( They need to find out if the dogs have all of the health certs done and they should be able to find the results on www.ofa.org That means hips, elbows, eyes, and heart and genetic certs for NSL. To do that you need the dogs AKC registration numbers, or registered names. Without that I would not buy a puppy from them. Too much heartbreak in this breed with health problems.

Most breeders that show or title their dogs and do health testing are proud of what they do, and have a website with their accomplishments on their dogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could not find much information. They don't have a website to look up the dogs registered names and titles. They are selling puppies on AKC Marketplace which is never a good sign. :( They need to find out if the dogs have all of the health certs done and they should be able to find the results on www.ofa.org That means hips, elbows, eyes, and heart and genetic certs for NSL. To do that you need the dogs AKC registration numbers, or registered names. Without that I would not buy a puppy from them. Too much heartbreak in this breed with health problems.

Most breeders that show or title their dogs and do health testing are proud of what they do, and have a website with their accomplishments on their dogs.
Thank you, they have some of their dogs registered names on their Instagram. I will see if I can find the health testing for them on that website.

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Just took a look at the Instagram page....I don't see any show pictures, or even titles on the dogs. These people are supposed to be "trainers"....which would mean that they could easily put some obedience or working titles on their own dogs. They may be doing some things right....but without more information...it would be a hard pass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just took a look at the Instagram page....I don't see any show pictures, or even titles on the dogs. These people are supposed to be "trainers"....which would mean that they could easily put some obedience or working titles on their own dogs. They may be doing some things right....but without more information...it would be a hard pass.
Ok thanks for your feedback. I saw one of their dogs Raul has an ipo 3 title but for his HD and ED it says +/- do you know what that means ?

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Having a IPO title is good! Did they put the title on the dog? or import him from Germany like that? The HD ED is good...but it does not not give the score...
Take a look at this for more info : HIP DYSPLASIA scores comparison between Europe and the USA When dogs are being bred in the USA it's best for them to have their scores up front and posted on OFA...this is an open registry that anyone can see. Also, heart and eyes are very important...especially if the dogs are imported or from import lines. They do very little eye and heart testing in Europe. A genetic heart disease called SAS is very common in the breed...if the heart is not heard and tested by a cardiologist vet...most people don't know their dog's heart is affected...till one day they drop dead.

These people may be doing things right? But with just using Instagram and very little information...it's hard to know. Most good breeders have a website...put up show winning pictures, pictures of their dogs with obedience or working ribbons, etc. Often have links right to the OFA page for each of their dogs so that you don't have to go hunting for them...and all health certs can be verified. If it was me...I would look elsewhere just because of the lack of information on their dogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having a IPO title is good! Did they put the title on the dog? or import him from Germany like that? The HD ED is good...but it does not not give the score...
Take a look at this for more info : HIP DYSPLASIA scores comparison between Europe and the USA When dogs are being bred in the USA it's best for them to have their scores up front and posted on OFA...this is an open registry that anyone can see. Also, heart and eyes are very important...especially if the dogs are imported or from import lines. They do very little eye and heart testing in Europe. A genetic heart disease called SAS is very common in the breed...if the heart is not heard and tested by a cardiologist vet...most people don't know their dog's heart is affected...till one day they drop dead.

These people may be doing things right? But with just using Instagram and very little information...it's hard to know. Most good breeders have a website...put up show winning pictures, pictures of their dogs with obedience or working ribbons, etc. Often have links right to the OFA page for each of their dogs so that you don't have to go hunting for them...and all health certs can be verified. If it was me...I would look elsewhere just because of the lack of information on their dogs.
Ok thanks so much! Is there a breeder you can recommend?

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
I don't live in the States...so don't have any breeders to recommend. The first place to start a search is https://www.amrottclub.org/ It lists Rottweiler clubs in each state and the reps from each club should have some suggestions. Also google and do a search of any dog shows coming up in your area. The most likely will start in the New Year. You really have to do your own research. Do some reading on past threads in the Breeder & Pedigree forum...there may be some information there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One thing about the AKC Marketplace - breeders are listed in an order showing "better" breeders first. These are the people who strive for the betterment of the breed, and who show their dogs. The notations by AKC show "Breeder of Merit" and/or "Breeder with Heart". You can also click on their ads and find out what they do with their dogs; i.e. showing in conformation, obedience, agility, dog sports, etc. This gives you a pretty good idea who to start asking questions of. You can contact any breeder, whether or not they have puppies available. Sometimes it is good to build up a "relationship" with a breeder before acquiring a puppy.

BBD mentioned going to dog shows. Excellent suggestion. That is how I found the breeder that I got my first Rott from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thing about the AKC Marketplace - breeders are listed in an order showing "better" breeders first. These are the people who strive for the betterment of the breed, and who show their dogs. The notations by AKC show "Breeder of Merit" and/or "Breeder with Heart". You can also click on their ads and find out what they do with their dogs; i.e. showing in conformation, obedience, agility, dog sports, etc. This gives you a pretty good idea who to start asking questions of. You can contact any breeder, whether or not they have puppies available. Sometimes it is good to build up a "relationship" with a breeder before acquiring a puppy.

BBD mentioned going to dog shows. Excellent suggestion. That is how I found the breeder that I got my first Rott from.
Great thanks for your response! What’s a good source to find dog shows near me ? When you say dog shows are you speaking of confirmation shows?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just did a search by "dog shows 2022" and I got a ton of venues. You might want to specify the name of your state in your search string. These shows are all conformation. Sometimes obedience or agility will happen at the same venue,.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just did a search by "dog shows 2022" and I got a ton of venues. You might want to specify the name of your state in your search string. These shows are all conformation. Sometimes obedience or agility will happen at the same venue,.
Ok thanks. Would you agree having IPO titles I’d a good indicator of temperament? Thinking I will be looking for that as well

·
Registered
61 Posts
IMHO, I think dogs that excel at IPO are a little more high maintenance than others of the same breed. Now I don't believe for a minute that AKC is the be-all end-all of the dog world. I think they can make mistakes, just like any organization. But overall they are genuinely interested in encouraging the breeding of good dogs, and improving a breed's soundness. Breeders are asked to fill out a questionnaire when they list their kennel in the Marketplace. One of the things asked is what the breeder does with their dogs; confirmation, agility, obedience, tracking, etc. So, I have to wonder why IPO training is not on that list.

Just sayin'...

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Honestly, I don't know of any good ethical breeder using AKC Marketplace to sell puppies. Good breeders often have the litter sold before it's even conceived...or shortly after they are born. With Covid and shutdowns, many breeders did not produce any litters because of lack of veterinary care, problems with using a good stud,etc. There was a very small supply of well bred puppies....and they were hard to come by. Even now with breeders starting to show again and trial...there is a small supply of puppies...and it's best to get on a wait list and be prepared to wait.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
of good dogs, and improving a breed's soundness. Breeders are asked to fill out a questionnaire when they list their kennel in the Marketplace. One of the
Honestly, I don't know of any good ethical breeder using AKC Marketplace to sell puppies. Good breeders often have the litter sold before it's even conceived...or shortly after they are born. With Covid and shutdowns, many breeders did not produce any litters because of lack of veterinary care, problems with using a good stud,etc. There was a very small supply of well bred puppies....and they were hard to come by. Even now with breeders starting to show again and trial...there is a small supply of puppies...and it's best to get on a wait list and be prepared to wait.
ok that’s the plan. Thanks for helping me figure out what to look for in a breeder

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
With AKC Marketplace there is no one to verify any of the information that is given. The breeder can check that all health certs are done...and nothing has been done. The AKC is a registry...nothing more. Just like the DMV will register an old beater car, and a brand new Lexus. The only way to know if a breeder is doing all the health certs is to go to www.ofa.org and put in the sire and dams registration number or registered name in and the health certs pop up. Also local and state clubs will have a code of ethics that breeders have to abide by before they can be listed as breeders or have puppies available. That's why good breeders make it easy to go to their website and have pictures of their dogs, with direct links to the OFA website with their health certs. They are proud of what they have achieved with their dogs, and of all of the hard work and money that goes into health certs. They do the best they can to produce a well bred, healthy puppy.

Reactions: AF77777
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.