Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for training my dog Bilbo to jump into the boot (trunk) of the car. I had been lifting him up when he was small, but he's 8 months old now and almost 40kg. He's reluctant to jump up and acts kind of confused when I try and get him to. I have tried using treats but this hasn't worked. He's not the bravest dog though and he's only just started to jump out of the boot (trunk) himself quite recently. I know that its not too high for him as I've seen him jump up onto benches or similar height etc no problem.

Any one have any experience of this? I don't really remember what I did with my previous dogs (Weimaraner & Lab), they just seemed to be a lot more eager and jumped straight in without any effort on my part. And its not a case that Bilbo doesn't like cars, I've taken him out since 8 weeks old and he knows it means he's getting a "good walk" and he's more than happy once I lift him in. Also just to note there is no cover on my boot/trunk so Bilbo can sit up and look out the back window which he loves to do - so its not a case of it being a dark enclosed scary space.

The only other idea I had was to get my dad's lab (expert at jumping into cars) to come with us and maybe Bilbo will follow his lead as he follows him everywhere else! - although knowing how tentative Bilbo can be I'm not convinced. See picture for context.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as my lower back is breaking :)

Thanks,

Sam.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice looking boy !! It will be a workout but try lifting him in and out a bunch of times. He should then get used to it. Looking at it it's very deep so that's probably got something to do with it. You could always try the hammock type seat cover so he can ride in the back seat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice looking boy !! It will be a workout but try lifting him in and out a bunch of times. He should then get used to it. Looking at it it's very deep so that's probably got something to do with it. You could always try the hammock type seat cover so he can ride in the back seat.
Thanks for the reply! Yes it is quite deep to be fair.. maybe he's still a little too young for the jump? We actually have the hammock seat cover but we let our other dog (Cavalier King Charles) ride in there and have been keeping them separated for car journeys.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Agis hates the car (he gets nauseous) but we give him leash/harness lift prompts and that helps. He also learned from our other two, which helped.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use the hammock style cover in the back seat for Vader, now he's a bit older (5 and a half months) he jumps in easy and out willingly most of the time.
I'd agree the depth could be what puts Bilbo off (great name btw!). Could you raise the floor with some kind of mattress type thing maybe? (even at one end so he doesnt need to jump the lip?)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agis hates the car (he gets nauseous) but we give him leash/harness lift prompts and that helps. He also learned from our other two, which helped.
Thanks for the reply!
Bilbo loves the car thankfully - he just likes to be lifted in! I'm going to try harness lift prompts and I'll try using another dog for him to learn! Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the hammock style cover in the back seat for Vader, now he's a bit older (5 and a half months) he jumps in easy and out willingly most of the time.
I'd agree the depth could be what puts Bilbo off (great name btw!). Could you raise the floor with some kind of mattress type thing maybe? (even at one end so he doesnt need to jump the lip?)
Thanks for the reply Camy, Vader looks gorgeous! Bilbo is actually 8 months old, he's just a little undersized. I'll definitely try raising the floor with a small foam mattress that's a good idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts