Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a problem with my dogs wanting to jump up on people when they come into the house. It started with my boy and then my girl started to follow his behavior. I always stop them right away tell them no and make them sit before they are allowed to have any attention from anyone, but this or anything else I seem to try does not work. Any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
144 Posts
<DIV>

When you have visitors, it might be best to crate your dogs,place them in another room, or if possible, keep them contained safely outside. After they have calmed down, they may not be prone to jumping on people, as much as in the beginning. Only you will know how they are reacting to the situation, too see if they are calm enough, once again,to greetvisitors.

Also, when you have someone visit, that doesn't mind you spending time to train your dogs, do use this to your advantage. Use a collar and lead, inside and outside your home, correcting the bad behaviorto not jump on greeters when they come through the door, and just as important, reward the goodbehavior. You can use the method of having your dog sit/stay or stand/stay calmlyfor a treat given by the visitor. You can also catch your dog in the act of trying to jump on someone and teach it that this response is not desired. Your timing and persistence is crucial to the learned behavior.

You having the dogs sit can be very useful, if, and only if, they know how to not break a stay with many different types of distractions, for a certain time period. Too be fair, a dog in a sit/stay position, can only be heldfor so long, and should be released.

Also, start practicing in a walk-in obedience dog class with many different dogs and people. Explain to your instructor the issues you're having and see what they can do to resolve this issue. Make sure you continue using short intervalsand different types of trainingmethods, so your dog does not become bored or catches on,even after the dog learns what is and what isn't appropriate behavior.

You might also want to try a no-jump harness that keeps dogs from jumping.

There is more then one way to go about this, and hopefully you'll find what you need. I'm sure if you do a search on Googleabout thiscommon behavior problem, you will find much more. Good luck!</DIV>

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree,, I use to have a dog who all he did was jump.. I used to crate him, and then slowly introduce them to the visitors in time. While he was on a leash, and then when he calmed down,, then I let him off the leash.

It worked really really well.. I hope that helps.. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts