Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
besides sleeping, how much time in the day, should the less than year old puppy spend in the Kennel or cage?

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
It depends?? How old is your pup? I've always found that my goal was to have my Rottweilers not need a crate. It depends on how much time alone your pup spends? How much training and exercise your pup gets? For a pup that is less than a year old...that still likes to get into some sort of trouble when you turn your head.....I would put the pup in the crate when you cannot be watching them...such as cooking, taking a shower and just busy. If you are watching t.v. or on the computer and can keep your eye on them..they should be laying in a dog bed close by.

I would also close access to certain rooms that they can get into trouble. The older they get and the more they mature...you can start giving more freedom. My Jemma HATED the crate...I think she lasted till she was about 6 months...and after that we just tried to confine her to a couple of rooms when she could not be watched.

·
Registered
280 Posts
We do similar with Agis - when we're out, he goes in the second bedroom. Neb and Xerxes (not Rotties) are in the master. Neb is fine out, Xerxes is a chewer of wires, so they go in. We've had to puppy proof the second bedroom as we realize things Agis has figured out, but mostly he sleeps now (we think). We've done that since Agis was 7-ish months old.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends?? How old is your pup? I've always found that my goal was to have my Rottweilers not need a crate. It depends on how much time alone your pup spends? How much training and exercise your pup gets? For a pup that is less than a year old...that still likes to get into some sort of trouble when you turn your head.....I would put the pup in the crate when you cannot be watching them...such as cooking, taking a shower and just busy. If you are watching t.v. or on the computer and can keep your eye on them..they should be laying in a dog bed close by.

I would also close access to certain rooms that they can get into trouble. The older they get and the more they mature...you can start giving more freedom. My Jemma HATED the crate...I think she lasted till she was about 6 months...and after that we just tried to confine her to a couple of rooms when she could not be watched.
Dixie is 11 wks old today. She's resting with Hank, 3 yrs old, soon to be her best bud.... He plays well with her. She chews everything she kind find, especially wires. Thankfully she only goes after the speaker and phone charging wires. Having read how important it is to be cage or kennel trained, I was wondering how many hours a day, in the kennel?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dixie is 11 wks old today. She's resting with Hank, 3 yrs old, soon to be her best bud.... He plays well with her. She chews everything she kind find, especially wires. Thankfully she only goes after the speaker and phone charging wires. Having read how important it is to be cage or kennel trained, I was wondering how many hours a day, in the kennel?
Being quite cold out, we don't get much chance to take her outdoors except for pottie breaks. She exercises with us playing or Hank. When it gets warmer, we'll start training her on a leash, but January and February in Ottawa, Ontario is not puppy friendly. Am I wrong about this too?

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
What a great picture of Hank and Dixie!! At 11 weeks of age she needs to sleep quite a bit still. They often get annoying and bitey when they get overtired...very much like a toddler. I would put her in her crate at least twice a day for naps...and also when you cannot directly watch her. It also gives Hank a bit of alone time....and spoiling time for you.

I do understand about not getting out much because of the snow and cold! We got our first Rottie pup in February...and it was not fun to be throwing a parka and boots on all of the time. We also live in the snowbelt...and hubby had to blow out pee paths for the dogs...just so they had a place to "go". LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts