Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Keto Pet Diet

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  renasmith 
#1 ·
I had posted the info on that Dog Cancer Series under Vet's corner but since it is all about the food, I figured this is the more appropriate place to continue what I learned.

In the 3rd lesson they tell about the type of diet the dog should be eating to prevent or cure the cancer. In the 4th lesson they give 5 most important supplements and then try to sell you the documentary series for 2-4 hundred dollars. Well, I had already gone to keto pet sanctuary and downloaded the e-book that had all the same info the series was telling me.

So the food plan is to feed the dog a low carb, paleo style, keto diet high in fat, moderate in protein and low in carbs. What the research showed was that sugar feeds cancer cells and to stop cancer from growing and kill off the cells you have to stop feeding them. The documentary had several success stories where people put their dog on the diet and cured the cancer. None of the dogs in the series were Rottweilers by the way.

A Recap of the entire series before I continue:

To reduce chances of your dog getting cancer:
1) eliminate chemicals in the environment.
don't put herbicides or pesticides on your lawn
don't use chemicals inside the house (not even air freshener) unless is is deemed safe
2) look at what you are feeding your dog and see how many carbs are in the food you currently use
for dry food: add up the guaranteed analysis % of protein, fat, fiber, ash (6% if ash not listed) subtract that number from 100% and the result is the % of carbs in the food
for wet food it is a bit more complicated: add up % of guaranteed analysis of protein, fat, fiber, ash and moisture. Subtract that number from 100%. Then convert wet to dry matter for accurate values because the water in the food should not be part of the percentage values.

Example: crude protein = 10%, crude fat = 4%, fiber = 1%, moisture = 80%, ash = 2%
10+4+1+80+2 = 97
100 - 97 = 3% carbs on wet matter basis
for conversion: moisture = 80% so dry = 20%
3% / .20 = 15% carbs

I know----you need to like to do math here.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Continuing on here.

The series also talks about over vaccinating and use of flea prevention as causes of cancer. I plan to talk to my vet about all that and see if I can skip some shots. i know I have to get the rabies shot. I would be fearful to not give heart worm prevention.

By the way, I did start Bella on the keto diet and she is doing really good. She looks like she has lost some weight, which was a goal of ours. I won't know for sure until we go and get weighed. So far changes I've seen are:
Bella does not moan and groan in the night anymore (not sure why she was doing this)
She has a lot more energy and will often break into a jog when we are on our walks.
She looks like she has lost the weight the vet wanted her to lose. We won't know until we go back.
Bella's back legs and hips, which I always worried were weak, are stronger and more muscular and I now see her run like Rocky did where she used to tip toe.

There was a lot of math involved in figuring out the number of calories to feed and the ratio of protein to fat. Then you have to figure out those values for the food. It was a lot of work but it seems to be making a positive impact on her.

I will continue on with more info if anyone is interested. I know it is a lot.

here is a link to the keto diet guide:

http://www.theurbandogstore.com/upl...rents_handbook_for_keto_and_canine_cancer.pdf

#3 · (Edited)
Thank you Andrea for that information. I know not to use air freshner. It's worth mentioning that people who own birds don't use Febreeze because it can kill their birds. One time in our office we had an employee who was a real fussy person and would spray Febreeze around her desk. It made one of our dogs throw up. Febreeze is a really bad one, and they put that crap in floor cleaners and other things. I got a bunch of trash can liners recently before I realized they were scented with Febreeze. What is it with these companies who keep shoving this stuff at us? Why does our trash have to smell good?

I know about the shots too, it's better to do a titer test on your full grown dog before getting boosters, because if your dog has antibiodies for whatever the shot is for, the shots disrupt the immune system. Distrupting the immune system can cause cancer.

I never put my dogs on flea control until they have fleas. I' am lucky in that many years they don't pick up fleas, so they don't need it the whole year. There are different parts of the country where you abolutely have to do what you have to like heart worm meds. Years ago our dogs would get fleas every summer and they didn't have the flea control items that worked like they do now. We would have to give flea baths and bug bomb the house every 2 weeks for several months of the summer (Fleas have a 2 week gestation period). Flea control is so widespread now, at least in my area that we don't have that issue anymore.

#4 ·
Steph,
I'm glad you mentioned the titer test because I could not remember what it was called and I want to ask the vet to do that before giving Bella anymore shots. I want to also look into better/safer flea control. I met a couple of kids on Easter who each have a Rott and one mentioned a treatment that lasts 6 months. I don't know if a less-often treatment would be safer or not. I just know that before Trifexis, when we used topical treatments, they never got rid of the fleas and certainly didn't last a month. I think the size of the dog was the reason there.

So here is the remaining info that was in the Dog Cancer Series that I don't think is in the book.

The Top 5 Supplements for Dogs and the Benefits from each:
1) Turmeric - anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer
2) Medicinal Mushrooms (Turkey Tail Mushrooms) - supports immune system, anti-cancer, pre-biotic gut flora
3) Probiotics - boost immune system
4 & 5) Cannabis and Hemp (CBD oils) - stop cancer cells from growing

My take: Well I've been giving Bella turmeric for a long time now because of the anti-inflammatory properties (I take it myself).
I'm kind of afraid of mushrooms because some are toxic. I've never heard of the Turkey Tail Mushroom before and don't know where to get it. But if I find it, I will.
I have given her probiotics (for dogs I've got in Vitamin Shoppe).
Cannibis is not legal where I live but I do buy hemp seeds (grocery store) and add about a tablespoon to her food. I think this might be why she doesn't moan and groan and fidget trying to get comfortable at night anymore.

The keto Pet Diet is a raw food diet, which I never thought I would do. I've seen the video of the guy throwing the whole chicken to the dog. The key is getting the correct number of protein grams and fat grams in the bowl.

For Bella who needs to drop a few lbs I'm using 11 calories per pound per day (this info is in the book):

she weighs 140 x 11 = 1,540 calories per day.

I feed her twice a day so 1,540 / 2 = 770 calories per meal

For a dog without a cancer diagnosis the fat/protein/carb % is 69% fat, 30% protein and 1% carb. A dog with cancer would have higher fat and less protein.

Here are the calculations for feeding Bella. Here is where the math comes in:
69% of 1,540 calories = 1,062.6 fat calories per day / 9 calories per gram of fat = 118.06 grams of fat per day

30% of 1,540 calories = 462 protein calories per day / 4 calories per gram of protein = 115.5 grams of protein per day

1% of 1,540 calories = 15.4 carb calories per day / 9 calories per gram of carb = 1.71 grams of carb per day

Then I had to figure out how many protein, fat and carb grams were in the foods I wanted to feed and figure out the combinations that got me to the totals I wanted:
each bowl (plus treats) has approximately 59 grams of fat, 58 grams of protein, and 1 gram of carb

Example: what she ate this morning:

BOWL #1
Chicken Leg (w/skin w/o bone) 1 leg 6.3g fat 14.1g protein
80/20 ground beef 2 oz. 3g fat 31g protein
Whole egg 1 5g fat 6g protein
Chia Seeds 2 T. 9g fat 4g protein 1g carb
Tumeric 1 T.
Coconut Oil 2-1/2 T. 32.5g fat
55.8 g fat 55g protein 1g carb

The meat is raw but is kept frozen and barely thawed before feeding. I cook the egg white but the yolk is raw and I also give her a sardines (wild, no salt,organic) as treats to make up the rest. Also, I use chia and coconut oil for a lot of the fat grams because I don't want her having all that saturated fat. That is also why I feed beef heart and ground turkey. They are lower in sat fat.

Other combos have beef heart, kidney, liver, ground turkey. The liver is slightly braised not completely raw.

I was concerned about not getting her the proper nutrition. Then I found a list of important nutrients for a dog to have in its diet and where they are found. So, I think I'm covered.

Iron - liver, eggs, meat

Selinium - sardines, liver

Zinc - eggs, chicken

Copper - liver

Manganese - fish

#5 ·
Steph,
I'm glad you mentioned the titer test because I could not remember what it was called and I want to ask the vet to do that before giving Bella anymore shots. I want to also look into better/safer flea control. I met a couple of kids on Easter who each have a Rott and one mentioned a treatment that lasts 6 months. I don't know if a less-often treatment would be safer or not. I just know that before Trifexis, when we used topical treatments, they never got rid of the fleas and certainly didn't last a month. I think the size of the dog was the reason there.

So here is the remaining info that was in the Dog Cancer Series that I don't think is in the book.

The Top 5 Supplements for Dogs and the Benefits from each:
1) Turmeric - anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer
2) Medicinal Mushrooms (Turkey Tail Mushrooms) - supports immune system, anti-cancer, pre-biotic gut flora
3) Probiotics - boost immune system
4 & 5) Cannabis and Hemp (CBD oils) - stop cancer cells from growing

My take: Well I've been giving Bella turmeric for a long time now because of the anti-inflammatory properties (I take it myself).
I'm kind of afraid of mushrooms because some are toxic. I've never heard of the Turkey Tail Mushroom before and don't know where to get it. But if I find it, I will.
I have given her probiotics (for dogs I've got in Vitamin Shoppe).
Cannibis is not legal where I live but I do buy hemp seeds (grocery store) and add about a tablespoon to her food. I think this might be why she doesn't moan and groan and fidget trying to get comfortable at night anymore.

The keto Pet Diet is a raw food diet, which I never thought I would do. I've seen the video of the guy throwing the whole chicken to the dog. The key is getting the correct number of protein grams and fat grams in the bowl.

For Bella who needs to drop a few lbs I'm using 11 calories per pound per day (this info is in the book):

she weighs 140 x 11 = 1,540 calories per day.

I feed her twice a day so 1,540 / 2 = 770 calories per meal

For a dog without a cancer diagnosis the fat/protein/carb % is 69% fat, 30% protein and 1% carb. A dog with cancer would have higher fat and less protein.

Here are the calculations for feeding Bella. Here is where the math comes in:
69% of 1,540 calories = 1,062.6 fat calories per day / 9 calories per gram of fat = 118.06 grams of fat per day

30% of 1,540 calories = 462 protein calories per day / 4 calories per gram of protein = 115.5 grams of protein per day

1% of 1,540 calories = 15.4 carb calories per day / 9 calories per gram of carb = 1.71 grams of carb per day

Then I had to figure out how many protein, fat and carb grams were in the foods I wanted to feed and figure out the combinations that got me to the totals I wanted:
each bowl (plus treats) has approximately 59 grams of fat, 58 grams of protein, and 1 gram of carb

Example: what she ate this morning:

BOWL #1
Chicken Leg (w/skin w/o bone) 1 leg 6.3g fat 14.1g protein
80/20 ground beef 2 oz. 3g fat 31g protein
Whole egg 1 5g fat 6g protein
Chia Seeds 2 T. 9g fat 4g protein 1g carb
Tumeric 1 T.
Coconut Oil 2-1/2 T. 32.5g fat
55.8 g fat 55g protein 1g carb

The meat is raw but is kept frozen and barely thawed before feeding. I cook the egg white but the yolk is raw and I also give her a sardines (wild, no salt,organic) as treats to make up the rest. Also, I use chia and coconut oil for a lot of the fat grams because I don't want her having all that saturated fat. That is also why I feed beef heart and ground turkey. They are lower in sat fat.

Other combos have beef heart, kidney, liver, ground turkey. The liver is slightly braised not completely raw.

I was concerned about not getting her the proper nutrition. Then I found a list of important nutrients for a dog to have in its diet and where they are found. So, I think I'm covered.

Iron - liver, eggs, meat

Selinium - sardines, liver

Zinc - eggs, chicken

Copper - liver

Manganese - fish

#6 ·
Great info! They don't need it, but adding some fresh fruit (blueberries, bananas, apple slices,melon etc.) and some greens ...is also good as anti-oxidants. Through the years I have fed my dogs raw, home cooked, and a top kibble(Orijen/Acana). At one point I had 3 adult Rottweilers to feed...and found it hard to find reasonably priced supply of meat. One dog did not really care for raw, one loved it, and the 3rd developed kidney problems (not from the diet). I ended up doing home cooking for the kidney problem dog, because he would not touch the K/D prescription diet that the vet pushed.

The Rottie I have now..will eat raw, and will switch between raw and kibble with no problems. I have been doing titers on my dogs for years....and rabies vaccine is good for 3 years in our area.You can titer for parvo and distemper...usually around $200. that includes the blood draw and the vet sending to a lab. Jemma is 9 years old...and had her last parvo/distemper combo at 18 months of age. I titer every couple of years or so...and all of her anti-bodies were still high and she was considered protected. We really don't have flea or tick problems around here...I have Atvantage on hand if the cat, or she should get fleas....but have not had to use it. I do give her Heartgard Plus for 6 months of the year...and that's about it. Lots of fresh air, sunshine and exercise. Hope she lives a few more healthy years.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input and info on the tier test. I will ask the vet to do this before any more shots (except rabies). Our rabies last 3 years too but they make you get annually for first 3 years before they issue the 3-year certificate. I am taking some notes off your post to inquire about better alternatives for flea and heart worm. We treat year round way down here in Texas where the mosquito is the state bird.

I do put some raw greens in the bowl, usually broccoli or cabbage. I forgot to say that. Also, I plan to replace some of the coconut oil with flax oil because I know that flax oil is a cancer-killer and the solid coconut oil makes me nervous (artery-clogger?).

Starting the raw keto diet I just added one raw ingredient at a time to the regular food to make sure she could tolerate it. After giving her that first bite of raw beef I sat there watching to see if she was going to keel over. The only thing she got an upset stomach over was raw chicken feet. So I don't give that anymore.

I cut the chicken meat off the bone because I know I didn't she will pick up a chicken leg and go "enjoy" it all over her bed or the living room rug.

Oh, and I am able to find free-range organic chicken legs in a pack of 5 for around $3 or a pack of 12 for $7. The ground beef and turkey are also organic. The beef is $6 per pound, turkey is $4 but I'm good at getting e-coupons for Kroger to save $ on it. Haven't found any offal in the "organic" section though but I only give that 1 or 2X a week.

#8 ·
You may want to print and present this to your vet: https://drjeandoddspethealthresourc...-guidelines-2017-for-dogs-review#.Wtc1eUxFyF4
Dr. Jean Dodds and Dr. Shultz are both tops in their fields for immunology and now even the AAHA has tried to get vets to stop giving annual vaccinations.

I've never heard about having to have rabies yearly for 3 years.. the vaccine is the same...one year/three year. I live in an area that does have rabies...and pups need their rabies vaccine given alone at around 4-5 months, and then 1 year later a booster...and that booster is good for 3 years.

#9 ·
Thanks for the info bbb. I printed it out to take next vet visit.

Oh, the rabies shots given as a pup are good for 3 years but the certificate you have to present to the city to get the pet license is only good for one year. I think it's some city ordinance or maybe a state law here that they have to have them annually for the first 3 years. Just bs political stuff.

#10 ·
So Bella had her vet visit Tuesday. They did the blood work. Will have to wait for results on vaccine antibodies.

Anyway, so the good news was she lost 12 lbs. (in 6 months) She went from an overweight 142 to 130. Following the Keto guidelines for an overweight dog worked. Now I need to re-calculate the calories she needs for her new weight. I was so glad to see that weight loss because we feared she might have thyroid issues.

Also, the vet said I need to research the recommended daily allowance of minerals for a senior dog to make sure she gets enough calcium, etc. I mentioned foods I give with calcium, but I need to see if it is the right amounts. I'll post any good info I find.

#11 ·
Well, my head is spinning from all the information and attempts at number crunching micrograms and milligrams. I found a list of amounts of nutrients they need but foods don't list vitamins and minerals in exact amounts, only % of daily recommended amounts (and that is for humans).

Then I found a really good book and ordered it. The author is a well respected expert on canine nutrition and raw feeding. She holds a PhD in the field and even shows and trains Rottweilers. Sold!

Oh, and I "looked inside" and saw all I need to add is 3 t of ground eggshells to the food to get enough calcium. I've already been adding eggshells. I need to make sure I'm putting enough.

Here is a link for this book on amazon if anyone wants to check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Raw-Natural-...ie=UTF8&qid=1530297399&sr=1-1#customerReviews

#13 ·
Wow, this is some really good info. My Neo is going on nine and getting arthritis in his back and hind legs. right now he gets a prescription, however on the 15th I will be discussing holistic alternatives with his vet. Since Rotties get cancer so much, I want to switch or add to his food to give him the best chance of staying cancer free.
I'm on this stuff like white on rice! Thanks.

#14 ·
I got the book today and just thumbed through it. Her advice on anti-cancer diet is the same as what we learned from Rodney Habib: meat and fat mostly with little carb coming from fresh veggies.

If I run across specific info on arthritis I'll post it. I give Bella NuJoint for joint health and Turmeric which is supposed to have a lot of good benefits including anti-cancer and anti-inflammation in joints. I buy a big bottle or organic turmeric in the spice aisle at Sam's club. It is a lot cheaper than buying it in supplement form capsules that you have to empty.

I really need to look into the NuJoint and make sure it isn't full of carbs (like a lot of stuff is).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.