Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My rotti is almost 10 months. We have been playing with a variety of large breed puppy foods trying to find the "right" one that doesnt give him loose stools etc. Orajen is out, Fromm we like but the pieces are so small literally handfuls fall out of his mouth every meal. I dont think grain-free is the way to go unless your dog has a specific allergy. What does everyone else feed that you are happy with?

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
Your dog is old enough to be eating a Large Breed Adult food. If you don't like Orijen, try Acana...made by the same company but not as high octane as Orijen. Fromm is good as is Open Farm, Wellness Complete, Canidae, Nulo, Go, etc.
If you are having problems with loose stools, it may mean that you are feeding too much. Try cutting back by 1/4 cup per meal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Veterinarians recommend large and giant dog breeds stay on puppy food for 12-18 months as they dont really reach maturity until about 2 years of age so Ill probably keep him on puppy food for a bit longer. Ill check out some of those brands, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
To be honest I would never go by what a veterinarian suggest for feeding a dog...unless it's a prescription diet that is needed for health reasons. They usually push Royal Canin, or Science Diet...both crappy grain based foods that they sell.
Rottweilers will do fine on an Adult Large breed food. If you take a look at Orijen Large Breed Puppy, and Orijen Large Breed Adult...there is very little difference. I've been in the breed for over 25 years...and as long as they grow slow and steady and are not overfed to grow and gain weight too quickly...Adult Large Breed after the main fast growth is fine. Your pup at 10 months is done with his major growth now...he will still grow, and gain weight....but not nearly at the rate before. I know many breeders that start feeding Adult food and recommend it after 6 months or so of age.

What does your breeder say?? They can give you some ideas. The best thing to do is to go to a dog food website. Look up the Large Breed Puppy ingredients and %'s, and Look up the same food in Adult Large Breed....there is very little difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To be honest I would never go by what a veterinarian suggest for feeding a dog...unless it's a prescription diet that is needed for health reasons. They usually push Royal Canin, or Science Diet...both crappy grain based foods that they sell.
Rottweilers will do fine on an Adult Large breed food. If you take a look at Orijen Large Breed Puppy, and Orijen Large Breed Adult...there is very little difference. I've been in the breed for over 25 years...and as long as they grow slow and steady and are not overfed to grow and gain weight too quickly...Adult Large Breed after the main fast growth is fine. Your pup at 10 months is done with his major growth now...he will still grow, and gain weight....but not nearly at the rate before. I know many breeders that start feeding Adult food and recommend it after 6 months or so of age.

What does your breeder say?? They can give you some ideas. The best thing to do is to go to a dog food website. Look up the Large Breed Puppy ingredients and %'s, and Look up the same food in Adult Large Breed....there is very little difference.
I was going to ask in the forum regarding large breed puppy food and found your post, I have a 14 week old female rottie. My breeder recommended up to 2yrs on large breed puppy food, to me at that age seems a little late? what are your thoughts on my breeder's recommendation sir?

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
I was going to ask in the forum regarding large breed puppy food and found your post, I have a 14 week old female rottie. My breeder recommended up to 2yrs on large breed puppy food, to me at that age seems a little late? what are your thoughts on my breeder's recommendation sir?
It really depends on the food you are feeding. What Large Breed Puppy food are you feeding? As I said previously...take a look at the ingredients in the Large Breed Puppy and the Adult Large Breed food...from the same company...then compare. Most will have all of the information on their websites.
The most important thing with any large or giant breed is to have them grow slow and steady. Do not overfeed, or try to have the pup gain weight quickly.

It could be that what your breeder feeds is more of a food that works for pups to adults?? If your pup is growing slow and steady, keep her on the food that you prefer. I would also make sure to change up her diet...pick a good company...and then rotate the different proteins that they offer. The Acana Regionals...has a chicken based food, and a beef, and fish, pork,etc. It helps to keep the pup/dog from developing allergies or food sensitivities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts