Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My rotti is almost 10 months. We have been playing with a variety of large breed puppy foods trying to find the "right" one that doesnt give him loose stools etc. Orajen is out, Fromm we like but the pieces are so small literally handfuls fall out of his mouth every meal. I dont think grain-free is the way to go unless your dog has a specific allergy. What does everyone else feed that you are happy with?

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Your dog is old enough to be eating a Large Breed Adult food. If you don't like Orijen, try Acana...made by the same company but not as high octane as Orijen. Fromm is good as is Open Farm, Wellness Complete, Canidae, Nulo, Go, etc.
If you are having problems with loose stools, it may mean that you are feeding too much. Try cutting back by 1/4 cup per meal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Veterinarians recommend large and giant dog breeds stay on puppy food for 12-18 months as they dont really reach maturity until about 2 years of age so Ill probably keep him on puppy food for a bit longer. Ill check out some of those brands, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
To be honest I would never go by what a veterinarian suggest for feeding a dog...unless it's a prescription diet that is needed for health reasons. They usually push Royal Canin, or Science Diet...both crappy grain based foods that they sell.
Rottweilers will do fine on an Adult Large breed food. If you take a look at Orijen Large Breed Puppy, and Orijen Large Breed Adult...there is very little difference. I've been in the breed for over 25 years...and as long as they grow slow and steady and are not overfed to grow and gain weight too quickly...Adult Large Breed after the main fast growth is fine. Your pup at 10 months is done with his major growth now...he will still grow, and gain weight....but not nearly at the rate before. I know many breeders that start feeding Adult food and recommend it after 6 months or so of age.

What does your breeder say?? They can give you some ideas. The best thing to do is to go to a dog food website. Look up the Large Breed Puppy ingredients and %'s, and Look up the same food in Adult Large Breed....there is very little difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To be honest I would never go by what a veterinarian suggest for feeding a dog...unless it's a prescription diet that is needed for health reasons. They usually push Royal Canin, or Science Diet...both crappy grain based foods that they sell.
Rottweilers will do fine on an Adult Large breed food. If you take a look at Orijen Large Breed Puppy, and Orijen Large Breed Adult...there is very little difference. I've been in the breed for over 25 years...and as long as they grow slow and steady and are not overfed to grow and gain weight too quickly...Adult Large Breed after the main fast growth is fine. Your pup at 10 months is done with his major growth now...he will still grow, and gain weight....but not nearly at the rate before. I know many breeders that start feeding Adult food and recommend it after 6 months or so of age.

What does your breeder say?? They can give you some ideas. The best thing to do is to go to a dog food website. Look up the Large Breed Puppy ingredients and %'s, and Look up the same food in Adult Large Breed....there is very little difference.
I was going to ask in the forum regarding large breed puppy food and found your post, I have a 14 week old female rottie. My breeder recommended up to 2yrs on large breed puppy food, to me at that age seems a little late? what are your thoughts on my breeder's recommendation sir?

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
I was going to ask in the forum regarding large breed puppy food and found your post, I have a 14 week old female rottie. My breeder recommended up to 2yrs on large breed puppy food, to me at that age seems a little late? what are your thoughts on my breeder's recommendation sir?
It really depends on the food you are feeding. What Large Breed Puppy food are you feeding? As I said previously...take a look at the ingredients in the Large Breed Puppy and the Adult Large Breed food...from the same company...then compare. Most will have all of the information on their websites.
The most important thing with any large or giant breed is to have them grow slow and steady. Do not overfeed, or try to have the pup gain weight quickly.

It could be that what your breeder feeds is more of a food that works for pups to adults?? If your pup is growing slow and steady, keep her on the food that you prefer. I would also make sure to change up her diet...pick a good company...and then rotate the different proteins that they offer. The Acana Regionals...has a chicken based food, and a beef, and fish, pork,etc. It helps to keep the pup/dog from developing allergies or food sensitivities.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Which Acana? There are so many different varieties of Acana...the Regionals have no grains, and then there are the Limited Ingredients Acana and now the Healthy Grains. I have always found that my own dogs have gas not from their food...but from other 'stuff" that they are getting during the day. A piece of pizza crust, would be enough to chase us out of the room, or even a chewie like a bullystick, or dried cow ear. If you feed your dog any rawhide, or Dentasticks,etc. that could be a reason for gas also.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I generally agree about Science Diet. However many years(30) back I had a Doberman and the only food that worked for him as an adult and puppy was Science Diet. His coat was great, his stools were small and firm, no gas and his health overall was very good. The moral of the story is that different dogs do well on different foods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello @big black dogs ,

I see that you recommend Orijen Puppy Large and I'm thinking of switching to it.
Do you know what would be the daily amount (cups or whatever measurement) for 5 month female Rottie (as i couldn't find it on actual bag)?

PS she is currently on Purina Pro Plan Large Puppy Breed food and i feed her 3 cups a day based on the recommendation printed on the bag. This was recommended by the breeder but after some research i might switch to some higher protein %/ no grain food.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The company that makes Orijen makes Acana another good food and is a little cheaper. Our boy is on the large breed puppy and has 1 1/2 cups 3 times a day. He gets lots of exercise chasing his GSP brother.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all,
My rotti is almost 10 months. We have been playing with a variety of large breed puppy foods trying to find the "right" one that doesnt give him loose stools etc. Orajen is out, Fromm we like but the pieces are so small literally handfuls fall out of his mouth every meal. I dont think grain-free is the way to go unless your dog has a specific allergy. What does everyone else feed that you are happy with?
I just made a post this past week. We seemed to have the same problem. We have always fed my GSP Kirkland brands. My rottweiller seemed to have issues with it. Her stools would get loose when we tried to introduce her to kibble. We are now trying the Walmart natural brand Pro Balance. So far the reviews I've read is pretty good. So we will see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you all again for your input.

My update RE: food switch.
Decided to go with Arcana Large Breed Puppy Food as per suggestions.
The transition went smoothly from Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy to Arcana and my puppy loves it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts