Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Administrator
I'm so sorry that Sophi has been diagnosed. 馃槩 Thankfully I have not had this diagnosis with my dogs ever...though bone cancer was the one that took most of my Rottweilers. How old is Sophi?? That may make a difference in what you plan to do. From what I have read...chemo treatments may buy her some time. Not sure if the cost, and the treatment are worth it for her quality of life?? The treatments can put them into remission for a while...but it most often comes back.

Check with a holistic vet and see if there are some treatments that can make her more comfortable. Often prednisone is given to slow things down...but it does not work for too long. What does your vet say?

For now spoil her, and love her and make every day special.

Registered
Sorry to hear that. The medical marijuana cancer folks (survivors) here in Oregon recommend high THC Rick Simpson Oil. 2:1 CBD:THC during the day and 2:1 THC:CBD at night. I've seen dogs live longer than expected on just CBD.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm so sorry that Sophi has been diagnosed. 馃槩 Thankfully I have not had this diagnosis with my dogs ever...though bone cancer was the one that took most of my Rottweilers. How old is Sophi?? That may make a difference in what you plan to do. From what I have read...chemo treatments may buy her some time. Not sure if the cost, and the treatment are worth it for her quality of life?? The treatments can put them into remission for a while...but it most often comes back.

Check with a holistic vet and see if there are some treatments that can make her more comfortable. Often prednisone is given to slow things down...but it does not work for too long. What does your vet say?

For now spoil her, and love her and make every day special.
The vet was an emergency vet and was not overly optimistic. Sophi is seven years and seven months. A steroid was prescribed it made an immediate difference but I know this is the beginning of the end. I鈥檓 just disappointed because I thought her awesome diet would prolong life. I guess I鈥檓 not God馃ぃ. I鈥檓 very saddened and find myself in tears during our walks.

Administrator
So sorry that Sophi has such a poor prognosis. :( She's not an old dog...which makes it so much harder. Genetics also plays a big part in a dogs life. Do you know her pedigree? How long did her dam and sire live?? or her littermates? Just enjoy and spoil her and love her....make her last days great.

Registered
I am not sure about lymphoma, but we spoke with a holistic vet when our girl was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. She recommended a series of high-dose Vitamin C IV infusions, and a turkey tail mushroom supplement. We noticed a lasting improvement in energy level after the Vitamin C infusions. Too soon to know if the turkey tail is making any difference. We also added CBD oil to our girl's meals and that definitely helped with pain. I'll be thinking of you and Sophi.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not sure about lymphoma, but we spoke with a holistic vet when our girl was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. She recommended a series of high-dose Vitamin C IV infusions, and a turkey tail mushroom supplement. We noticed a lasting improvement in energy level after the Vitamin C infusions. Too soon to know if the turkey tail is making any difference. We also added CBD oil to our girl's meals and that definitely helped with pain. I'll be thinking of you and Sophi.
Thanks for the well wishes. No she鈥檚 not an old girl and I鈥檓 disappointed that my whole food diet didn鈥檛 prevent this.

Administrator
Thanks for the well wishes. No she鈥檚 not an old girl and I鈥檓 disappointed that my whole food diet didn鈥檛 prevent this.
I know the feeling....you try so hard to keep them healthy, feeding the best of foods and giving them what they need with exercise and lifestyle and they still get sick. Some things are out of your control. I always wonder about lawn treatments? The chemicals that are used for weeds, and grass. Even if you don't use them on your own lawn...your dog can still be walking through those chemicals on their daily walks.

I also wonder about the flea and tick medications and heartworm medications!!! They are wonderful to keep dogs tick and flea free and save them from death of heartworm....but I wonder if they are also part of the cancer problem? It's like you hear of people that drink and smoke and eat grease...and live to 95...and then the poor soul that exercises and lives a clean, healthy lifestyle and dies at 60. :(

Let us know how things are going.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts