Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here goes, I so need help in what to do with Xari and training him to walk on the leash like a good boy. I am tired of flying down the road like I want to run a race and the trainer and I have worked until we are almost over it. I have done the stopping don't move thing, I have walked backwards and at my age trust me that is not cute or safe and I have gone and bought the gentle leader. No none of this works or touches this guy. This is xari's only real bad thing to do so I really need help and I will try any thing any of you tell me to do. I so want to take him to the parks and we have a beautiful lake up town that you can go walk your dogs but I can't take him like this, he loves the water and he would have ole Sally out in the middleof it in a heart beat
No joke though I really need your help on this. Thanks

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Heres what i did .....

first i got the chain collar ..... then a lead

both of them have 12 inch leads ....

when he starts to pull you .... you pull back .... quick and hard

keep him right at your side ... use a choker

how i trained sampson for other things ( walking off leash ) rules

hold a treat in your hand ..... just let him smell it

he should ( follow ) you to miami

i walk a block and let him have the treat .... then cup another in my

hand and so on ....

today without any lead or rope anything .... he walks right at my side

but TRY that cupping a treat .... he should just walk along side you

with his nose buried in your hand

you dont have to do it forever just till he learns .....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well, my thoughts are pinch collar. they look terrible, but are way more humane than a choke collar. You will find normally with one or two corrections, you will need no more. You really should however have an experienced trainer show the correct way to use the collar. This was just posted on another board I belong to.

Jane has a long history of pulling like a freight train. Everyone who meets her seems to think they can "cure her." From trainers, to my spouse, father and other people at the dog park - everyone thinks THEY can make Jane heel

After close to 5 years of trying everything from Halties, to harnesses to martingales, I had actually resigned myself to getting pulled all over hell's half acre.

Then I read some posts here about the prong. Id alwaysb een scared or reluctant about it as it LOOKS so brutal, but I had the owner of the pet store put it on ME so i could feel it and it wasnt that bad.

Bought both JAne and Argo a prong collar this weekend and walking them is like walking butter. This is potentially the best thing thats happened to me and the ladies in quite some time - Mark and I are SO impressed we actually cant wait to get home and take them for a walk now. LOL.

Some call the prong, some call them pinch, either way same thing.

I Can't beleive your trainer didn't suggest one????????

Barb

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
barcurdan said:
Heres what i did .....

first i got the chain collar ..... then a lead

both of them have 12 inch leads ....

when he starts to pull you .... you pull back .... quick and hard

keep him right at your side ... use a choker

how i trained sampson for other things ( walking off leash ) rules

hold a treat in your hand ..... just let him smell it

he should ( follow ) you to miami

i walk a block and let him have the treat .... then cup another in my

hand and so on ....

today without any lead or rope anything .... he walks right at my side

but TRY that cupping a treat .... he should just walk along side you

with his nose buried in your hand

you dont have to do it forever just till he learns .....

Thanks Dan, I will try this and work hard at it. I might start this on our back porch which is big and then go to the sidewalk out front and give it a try. I have trained him on treats so this just might work. Thank you

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Barb said:
Well, my thoughts are pinch collar. they look terrible, but are way more humane than a choke collar. You will find normally with one or two corrections, you will need no more. You really should however have an experienced trainer show the correct way to use the collar. This was just posted on another board I belong to.

Jane has a long history of pulling like a freight train. Everyone who meets her seems to think they can "cure her." From trainers, to my spouse, father and other people at the dog park - everyone thinks THEY can make Jane heel

After close to 5 years of trying everything from Halties, to harnesses to martingales, I had actually resigned myself to getting pulled all over hell's half acre.

Then I read some posts here about the prong. Id alwaysb een scared or reluctant about it as it LOOKS so brutal, but I had the owner of the pet store put it on ME so i could feel it and it wasnt that bad.

Bought both JAne and Argo a prong collar this weekend and walking them is like walking butter. This is potentially the best thing thats happened to me and the ladies in quite some time - Mark and I are SO impressed we actually cant wait to get home and take them for a walk now. LOL.

Some call the prong, some call them pinch, either way same thing.

I Can't beleive your trainer didn't suggest one????????

Barb

Thanks to you also Barb, I will try this next after I see what happens with Dans suggestion. She did talk about it but she is very much against them. She thinks that if you put some thing on them that hurts they associate us with hurting them and they don't trust our hands. I don't know that is why I am asking, this is my first Rottie and first at really having to dog train. Always had little ones you could just pick up and say now you mind me, not the case here at all. At 9 months he is over 80 lbs. Thank you and I will keep this in my mind for next step.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sally, how old is Xari? I would be interest in hearing your progress.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Pinch collar.

If you yourself can not control him then you need some thing that can.

Do not buy the biggest one(they look so mid evil.)Get the med sise one (you will have to buy more links)

When walking him the first time on it LET HIM CORRECT HIM SELF you just walk and when you see he is pulling away stop and hang on.When he gets to the end and feels the pinch ,don't say anything.Call him to you praise and start again.Soon he will figure out it hurts to walk faster then you.

IT Will work.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The collars take less corrections that regular choke collars. You can do some research. Choke collars have done waaaaaaaay more damage to dog than pinch collars. I don't even make corrections, just a little jingle and she remembers.

Good luck

Barb

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok,Donna and Barbpinch collar it is. I will go this evening and get one and tomorrow we start. I will sure keep you up dated and thanks so much for help.

Nutz4Rotz.... Xari is 9 months old and I sure will let you know how this goes. I have tried it all and not just a time or 2 and I so want to walk him and go places with him. I look at all the others here taking their rottie's and doing such neat things and I can't go out to the side walk with out feeling like I am on the run way at the big airport here
Wish us luck

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for this information. I am printing it out and will put in his folder and then we get busy. I would like to talk to you more about the tail docking as I would really like to get one from Lydia. Thanks again for this and your time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry for not responding earlier... been way too busy in my yard lately too be on the net.

If youhaven't taught your dog yet,one of the mostmajor basic training methods, most everything else is lost, including walking on a leash.

You must have your dog's attention. If not, a dog will not listen or learn correctly.

Here are somearticles:

The Eye-Contact Game: http://www.dogscouts.com/attention.shtml

[url]http://www.dog-training-obedience.net/Dog-Attention-Exercise .php[/url]

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2002/attention.htm

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2002b/attention.htm

[url]http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=231&a mp;A=1015&S=1[/url]

http://www.wagntrain.com/attention.htm

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_WatchMe.html

http://www.thepoop.com/experts/pawz/newtoyou/watchme.asp

[url]http://www.mypetdog.net/learn-how-to-get-your-dogs-attention .html[/url]

http://articles.pointshop.com/pets/14008.php

Good Luck and Have Fun Training!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, I know what you mean about the yard...me too. I must explain a little about Xari, he is a great dog and has passed with flying colors on his Basic Dog Manners. He has a great trainer and he is so well trained that he will eye contact any one who comes near because we played a peak-a-boo trick with him from the time he was 12 weeks old. He sits on command, lays, stays and comes on his panic word. He was walking fine and all of a sudden out of no were he starts with this and nothing I am doing is correcting it. He is 9 months old and does every thing wonderful but this, and it is heart breaking because I want to take him places and show him off to tell you the truth, he is beautiful and so sweet. He is so well behaved that when the little girls come in the yard from next door to see him he falls to the ground. I just have to get the slowing down on the walk. His trainer just called me a little while ago and she is coming Thursday to work with us. Thank you so much for all the links you sent and your time. I will read them and keep all of you posted on his progress.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I use the prong on Zena too,,when she has it on she stays right next to me ,,occassionally looking up at me to check if shes doing ok,,,once in a while i will take her out on the retractable leash and she totally different,,,shes out ahead most of the time,, and stopping dead in her tracks ,sniffing things

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all of you for your great help and comments. We are going to get busy tomorrow when our trainer comes and that way I feel ok with using the pinch collar and that I am doing it right and not going to hurt him. I know it will pinch a little but the girl at the store scared me to death about it and said it was a very dangerous thing if you did not do them right and some dogs had ripped their throats out on them. Oh boy that did it, so the trainer is coming to teach right and see how he does on it. I will post about how we do. Thanks again.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You might want to try letting him correct himself. Just put the collar on and let him forge ahead, while you stand still. He will stop and when the leash is slack take a couple steps and see if he forges ahead again, stand still and let him correct again. He'll get the hint REAL quick. And the girl at the store is VERYwrong.

Barb

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Barb, I was sure she was but you know how it is, he is the first one I have ever had and until I got on here I had no help for this breed at all. You all have been great and I am a old coot and just so afraid of loosing him or hurting him. I make him mind, now don't get that wrong. I am tough on him as far as his minding me but I almost lost him when I got him and it was a long way back and I am so fearful of some thing going wrong and I also know at some point I have to give him up but not at my own hands
The trainer is so sweet and so good and she is just coming so I will not be alone when we do this and he loves her so that he will do as she wants him to very well. Thanks so much and you have made me feel so much better with your post. I will let you know tomorrow how we do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts