Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

im wondering if anyone can help me or share any similar experiences.

Yesterday all of a sudden our Boy just started limping... he hadnt been for a walk or had done any playing, we only noticed when we let him out in the garden to do his business. Over the day it got worse and he was lifting his left hind leg and not putting any weight on it. He isnt crying in pain and is letting us touch and feel his leg without any whimpers etc, so we think it may be muscular. We spoke to a vet in the early hours of this morning virtually and they said it may be a sprain, muscular, ligaments or possible fracture and to leave it 48 hours before contacting our local vet for a proper examination.

My question is- Could it be possible growing pains?

We are monitoring him closely and today he is much the same but has a bit more life in him which is good, he hasnt been off his food or water. He is still able to walk on it just with a limp and today he even got excited and stood on his hind legs without any pain it seemed. I am just curious as we are concerned for our boy and hate seeing him limping but have read that larger breeds especially males suffer from growing pains and wondering if it is just this.

We are getting him checked by the vet tomorrow if things don't improve, but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience, or tips or even remedies to ease the pain for him.

thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pup. At 5 months of age...it could very well be pano (growing pains). It often shows up with lameness in one leg, and then moves to another leg. What are you feeding him? This can be caused by diet...and just growing too quickly. The vet will usually take x-rays, and can tell from that. It could also be a sprain, strain...or anything? Puppies can do crazy moves....and then pay for it later.

Did your pup come from breeders that do hip and elbow x-rays on the sire and dam? Another thing it could be is hip dysplasia. It often shows up a bit later...but severe HD can show up with limping in the hind legs.
Let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear about your pup. At 5 months of age...it could very well be pano (growing pains). It often shows up with lameness in one leg, and then moves to another leg. What are you feeding him? This can be caused by diet...and just growing too quickly. The vet will usually take x-rays, and can tell from that. It could also be a sprain, strain...or anything? Puppies can do crazy moves....and then pay for it later.

Did your pup come from breeders that do hip and elbow x-rays on the sire and dam? Another thing it could be is hip dysplasia. It often shows up a bit later...but severe HD can show up with limping in the hind legs.
Let us know what the vet says.
Yes this is what I read! which it seems like it may well be and obviously hoping it is! He is on a raw diet with veggies. Oh I know and he is one crazy pup when he wants to be.

Yes they did that and advised us he was fine, he was also checked by our vet when we brought him home and they seemed happy with him and how did bones were, he is due a 6 month health check soon, but obviously we do not want to leave this longer than 48 hours! God I really hope not :( just feel so helpless as they cant tell us exactly where or what the pain is and trying to get him to rest is a nightmare too :( Our poor boy! I've read organic tumeric is quite good for anti-inflammatory for dogs and also glucosamine. Ive read yumove is good too has anyone tried these?

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
Is the raw diet you are feeding a commercial raw diet? or are you giving him your own made up raw diet? Puppies really need a balanced raw diet when they are growing and gaining weight quickly. Do you have a crate for your pup? Try to get him to rest in his crate while you wait to take him to the vet. Tumeric and glucosamine take a long time to take affect...more for an older dog. He may need some anti-inflammatories and pain meds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts