Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We are beginning to look at adding another dog to our home. We currently have three senior dogs and I would like a puppy to train and help keep me in shape. I’m looking for a great temperament that I can work with in some sort of dog sport. I’m not interested in size, I’d prefer under or around 100lb honestly. I have some experience with obedience and protection already (no bite work)

We have a home in the Atlanta area with a 3/4 acre fenced in yard.

I would love to hear recommendations on breeders and sporting clubs around here if anyone has any insight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
A Rottweiler puppy is going to go after and play nonstop with your senior dogs. Day and night. Make sure your dogs can have the energy to withstand any play moves by the puppy. You can't just lock away the puppy all the time to keep him away from your seniors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Rottweiler puppy is going to go after and play nonstop with your senior dogs. Day and night. Make sure your dogs can have the energy to withstand any play moves by the puppy. You can't just lock away the puppy all the time to keep him away from your seniors.
Ok. Thank you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your senior dogs will snap at it when they have had enough of him so that will solve the puppy problem. We once did the same thing and the old grump never got close to the new puppy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your senior dogs will snap at it when they have had enough of him so that will solve the puppy problem. We once did the same thing and the old grump never got close to the new puppy.
Yeah, I’m fully confident in my other dogs ability to handle a pup. I’m actually hoping for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts

This is an X-ray of a 2 week old puppy.
Look at how far the bones have to grow before they become a proper bony joint! This is why you should never let puppies jump, walk up/down stairs, over exercise or over train. Doing to much impact activity at a young age will cause serious issues later in life, or even at a young age as hip dysplasia and other orthopaedic conditions are rising in puppies!
Remember the puppy rule for every month increase activity by 5 minuets! For example an 8 week old puppy only needs 10 minuets physical activity a day - a 6 month old only needs 30 minuets a day of physical activity!!
*physical activity includes - going for a walk, training, playing fetch, running, playing with other dogs etc.
Enjoy your new puppy but remember you wouldn't make a 6 month old baby run a mile a day so don't make your puppy either!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There seems to be a lot of assumptions being made here and I have no idea where they are coming from. I never said I was locking my puppy away, at all. I never said I was going to run with a puppy. I have experience with training dogs and raising puppies.

I’m assuming everyone means well but I really was hoping for some breeder recommendations and groups in the area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In my reply, it's just a very interesting article that I came across.
As to breeder recommendation, there is an excellent breeder in Florida. Shelly Garton. She has Premiere Rottweilers. She imports her breeding stock. Everything is all up to date on health certs, OFA hips and elbows, JLPP, heart and eyes. She produces outstanding pups. I can get you her contact info if you wish.

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
Look up some of the past threads that I have posted on in the Breeder part of the forum. I don't live in the USA, but I know that you should be able to find some ethical breeders in your general area.
I also agree...that I'm not sure where some of these replies are coming from?? Puppies are NOT made of glass! A Rottweiler puppy coming home should be about 15 lbs (more or less)...and grow rapidly. No puppy should be allowed to bug an older dog that is happy, and king of the castle. Puppies sleep a lot at the beginning and need regular naps crated. Introductions should be made slowly, and supervised. Some puppies grow up with older, smaller breeds and are fine...some just never learn how to be gentle or respect the older dog. That's when you have to just keep them separated. Can it be done?? For sure....just more work.

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
View attachment 18922

This is an X-ray of a 2 week old puppy.
Look at how far the bones have to grow before they become a proper bony joint! This is why you should never let puppies jump, walk up/down stairs, over exercise or over train. Doing to much impact activity at a young age will cause serious issues later in life, or even at a young age as hip dysplasia and other orthopaedic conditions are rising in puppies!
Remember the puppy rule for every month increase activity by 5 minuets! For example an 8 week old puppy only needs 10 minuets physical activity a day - a 6 month old only needs 30 minuets a day of physical activity!!
*physical activity includes - going for a walk, training, playing fetch, running, playing with other dogs etc.
Enjoy your new puppy but remember you wouldn't make a 6 month old baby run a mile a day so don't make your puppy either!
:rolleyes: Not sure what article you have pulled this from???...but some of the information is not right. An 8 week old puppy needs 10 minutes physical activity per day?? a 6 month old 30 minutes?? Maybe a stuffed dog....but for sure NOT a Rottweiler puppy. Pups can go for walks....short ones, more frequently allowing the pup to sniff and explore. If they want to sit down...let them. A 6 month old pup should be ready for a slow one mile walk....jogging and biking is not recommended till the growth plates close around 18 months of age.

No need to be carrying puppies up and down stairs either. The sooner they learn how to go up and down stairs the better....they just need to be leashed and not allowed to fly down the stairs. It just has to be remembered that they are young, and to use common sense. You would not take a toddler on a mile hike, but you might take a 5 year old on one. A 12 year old child can handle more exercise....then a toddler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I’ll dig through your history tonight. I’m sure I’ll have more questions after that.

thanks again

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
Take a look at this thread....https://www.rottweilersonline.com/threads/time-for-a-new-puppy.21751/#post-159274
There are some good suggestions there...for a FB group to join, and also I would look up www.amrottclub.org to see what Rottweiler Clubs and breeders are in your area...and AKC to see if there are any dog shows coming up in the Atlanta area. Both Von Marc and Neu- Rodes are great breeders. They are not in your area...but I suggest that you e-mail them or FB them to see if they have any suggestions for breeders in your area. Breeders usually form a tight group...and help each other.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm sure the information stated in that article was for a very young pup.
But, it's just an article, what I liked about it was the x ray.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take a look at this thread....https://www.rottweilersonline.com/threads/time-for-a-new-puppy.21751/#post-159274
There are some good suggestions there...for a FB group to join, and also I would look up www.amrottclub.org to see what Rottweiler Clubs and breeders are in your area...and AKC to see if there are any dog shows coming up in the Atlanta area. Both Von Marc and Neu- Rodes are great breeders. They are not in your area...but I suggest that you e-mail them or FB them to see if they have any suggestions for breeders in your area. Breeders usually form a tight group...and help each other.
I have reached out to both, as well as Von Eman. I’ll keep looking and asking around. Thanks again for the start in the right direction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
:rolleyes: Not sure what article you have pulled this from???...but some of the information is not right. An 8 week old puppy needs 10 minutes physical activity per day?? a 6 month old 30 minutes?? Maybe a stuffed dog....but for sure NOT a Rottweiler puppy. Pups can go for walks....short ones, more frequently allowing the pup to sniff and explore. If they want to sit down...let them. A 6 month old pup should be ready for a slow one mile walk....jogging and biking is not recommended till the growth plates close around 18 months of age.

No need to be carrying puppies up and down stairs either. The sooner they learn how to go up and down stairs the better....they just need to be leashed and not allowed to fly down the stairs. It just has to be remembered that they are young, and to use common sense. You would not take a toddler on a mile hike, but you might take a 5 year old on one. A 12 year old child can handle more exercise....then a toddler.
I would have to agree with BBD here. There is no way, in my opinion, to limit a puppy to 10 minutes of activity a day. The puppy will chew you up out of boredom. I have a 2.5 year old Rottie, and we recently added an English Bulldog puppy to our home (12 weeks when we got him, 15 weeks now). He only has two gears - full steam ahead and passed out asleep). He is full steam ahead for a few hours a day at least.

Getting to the original question, although my Rottie is not a senior, I still have areas of the house that he can go to get away from the puppy when he needs a break. I think allowing the existing dogs the choice of when/how much to socialize helps the situation a lot. I was nervous at first, but my two are becoming best buds already. Good luck to you.

edit - I forgot to add - I found my breeder (West Coast and not currently breeding) searching this forum, and I couldn’t ask for a better Rottie. I think you made the right choice using these forums to look for breeder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

We are beginning to look at adding another dog to our home. We currently have three senior dogs and I would like a puppy to train and help keep me in shape. I’m looking for a great temperament that I can work with in some sort of dog sport. I’m not interested in size, I’d prefer under or around 100lb honestly. I have some experience with obedience and protection already (no bite work)

We have a home in the Atlanta area with a 3/4 acre fenced in yard.

I would love to hear recommendations on breeders and sporting clubs around here if anyone has any insight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Might be too far, but you might look into Earl Antonious line. Believe they are located in Virginia. My girl's sire is Tito Earl Antonious. They breed working rottweilers. My girl's dam was show, so not sure who contributed to her looks and temperment, but she's got a phenomenal temperment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Might be too far, but you might look into Earl Antonious line. Believe they are located in Virginia. My girl's sire is Tito Earl Antonious. They breed working rottweilers. My girl's dam was show, so not sure who contributed to her looks and temperment, but she's got a phenomenal temperment.
Our Vader is descended from Tito Earl Antonious (his great grandfather).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll take a look. Thanks!

It's actually proving to be much more difficult that I expected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll take a look. Thanks!

It's actually proving to be much more difficult that I expected.
It is no longer simple when looking for a quality pup these days. We have been in contact with a number of breeders and have made 3 long trips to meet them. We have traveled a total of 7000 miles, we are retired and have the time and the right vehicle. Our perseverance paid off, we found two great puppies, one in Iowa and the other in Colorado. One was an Akita and one was a Rottweiler. We picked them up and drove home on two different trips, because we don't like our puppies shipped. The absolute worst thing about traveling with the puppies was staying in Motel 6, other then that the ride home went great. It was lot of time and expense traveling so far, but our dogs are family and worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts