Rottweilers Online Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
My brother-in-law is an Akita lover as well.
Beautiful dogs but not fond of other dogs. Best of luck with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My brother-in-law is an Akita lover as well.
Beautiful dogs but not fond of other dogs. Best of luck with them.
Akitas can be a handful and this is our third one and all have been paired with a Rottweiler. The secret seems to be raising them together as puppies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It is no longer simple when looking for a quality pup these days. We have been in contact with a number of breeders and have made 3 long trips to meet them. We have traveled a total of 7000 miles, we are retired and have the time and the right vehicle. Our perseverance paid off, we found two great puppies, one in Iowa and the other in Colorado. One was an Akita and one was a Rottweiler. We picked them up and drove home on two different trips, because we don't like our puppies shipped. The absolute worst thing about traveling with the puppies was staying in Motel 6, other then that the ride home went great. It was lot of time and expense traveling so far, but our dogs are family and worth every penny.
It’s discouraging. We’re still looking and haven’t even found a communicative breeder that has litters coming up. At this point I’m looking globally and will just pay the premium.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I should also note, there have been some super nice and helpful people that have responded. They just aren’t breeding...

·
Super Moderator
1,347 Posts
I think with Covid still being around, and not being able to travel...I would be very careful to have a pup shipped from Europe right now. There are just as many bad breeders of Rottweilers in European countries , especially the Eastern countries. They do not do as much health testing..often only hips and elbows....hearts are not commonly screened...as are the other DNA genetic diseases. You are just going to have to be patient...and keep looking...and get onto a breeders list. I waited almost a full year for my last Rottweiler...and that was 12 years ago...with no covid around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think with Covid still being around, and not being able to travel...I would be very careful to have a pup shipped from Europe right now. There are just as many bad breeders of Rottweilers in European countries , especially the Eastern countries. They do not do as much health testing..often only hips and elbows....hearts are not commonly screened...as are the other DNA genetic diseases. You are just going to have to be patient...and keep looking...and get onto a breeders list. I waited almost a full year for my last Rottweiler...and that was 12 years ago...with no covid around.
Sorry, I should’ve worded that better. I’m still going to be looking for the same criteria regarding health checks. I’m just opening it up outside the SE United States.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts