Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Snout

My Ziyah has been off her food in this recent heatwave we are having. She is eating but not her normal daily intake.
She's not a greedy dog by any stretch, unlike our 2 pugs 馃榿 but she normally enjoys her food. Just wondering whether to change her food for a short period or keep her on what she's used to? ( Orijen large puppy). I dont want to create a fussy eater, but want her to get all the nutrient's she needs.

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forums! How old is Ziyah? Often by about 9- 10 months or so, the big growth period and weight gains are behind them. They just don't need as much food as they did while growing at a fast pace. She will still continue to grow and fill out....but at a much slower pace. The warm weather often has their appetite slow down also. Is it possible to feed her early in the a.m. and then once again later in the p.m. while it's cooler?? I would not be changing her food....but you could add a tiny bit of something that may entice her such as a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, or a bit of scrambled egg, or spoonful of plain natural yogurt. How much is she eating of kibble right now? It may be time to cut back the amount? Also, could she be coming into heat?? The hormones can make their appetite fall.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for your reply.
Ziyah is almost 11 months.. she had her first season at 7.5 months with no issues.
She's currently being fed twice a day 420g split between 2 meals.
She seems fine in herself, just not particularly hungry, especially in the mornings. Like I said she really is not a food orientated dog.
I tried mixing plain yogurt and a beef stock cube into her food ( not both at once ) 鈽 but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Registered
Vader goes through spells of not eating in the morning / during the day - normally either when its hot or there is a bitch in heat in the area. He'll still eat when he wants to though. Unless it's for a prolonged period i wouldn't worry too much to be honest.

Premium Member
what a gorgeous girl. Your heat in Britain is peaking. You're not as hungry either. Give that doll lots of water and feed her the normal amount. Keep her cool. That double coat isn't always a blessing

Registered
Hi there! I just came here because I have the same issue with my girl. She's been eating really poorly for the past few weeks... I assigned it to the heat wave. But here the temp has dropped to high 70s so it's not so hot and she's still refusing to eat most meals. She will still eat half a meal every other day or so.... but she's eating so poorly I started thinking I should take her to the vet but... she's also not vomiting, no diarrhea, no coughing no sneezing... her activity level is normal when we go for our daily walks/weekend adventures. Other than her eating I'm not seeing a sick dog... so I'm torn on spending the money because I know it's gonna be at least $600 of testing to make sure she's ok when there aren't obvious signs.

Super Moderator
Hi there! I just came here because I have the same issue with my girl. She's been eating really poorly for the past few weeks... I assigned it to the heat wave. But here the temp has dropped to high 70s so it's not so hot and she's still refusing to eat most meals. She will still eat half a meal every other day or so.... but she's eating so poorly I started thinking I should take her to the vet but... she's also not vomiting, no diarrhea, no coughing no sneezing... her activity level is normal when we go for our daily walks/weekend adventures. Other than her eating I'm not seeing a sick dog... so I'm torn on spending the money because I know it's gonna be at least $600 of testing to make sure she's ok when there aren't obvious signs.
How old is you dog??? If she is feeling good in every other way but eating....it may be what you are feeding her? What food is she eating?? How long has she been eating this food. Honestly at this time of year with heat and humidity...it could be that the food has gone rancid. I would try buying a small bag of some other food...that has a different main protein. If she has been eating a chicken based kibble....buy a beef or fish based kibble and see if that will get her interested. You can also add a dallop of plain natural yogurt or some scrambled eggs , etc. to her food and see if that gets her going. Sometimes it's the food you are feeding.

Registered
How old is you dog??? If she is feeling good in every other way but eating....it may be what you are feeding her? What food is she eating?? How long has she been eating this food. Honestly at this time of year with heat and humidity...it could be that the food has gone rancid. I would try buying a small bag of some other food...that has a different main protein. If she has been eating a chicken based kibble....buy a beef or fish based kibble and see if that will get her interested. You can also add a dallop of plain natural yogurt or some scrambled eggs , etc. to her food and see if that gets her going. Sometimes it's the food you are feeding.
She's 3.5 and I make her food home-made. I do use cans from time to time. Fromm, which I only buy 12 cans at a time since its back-up food, but they get replaced every 3 months or so. She's been fed both for years. The home-made food can't go rancid. I make enough for a week and a half at a time, and i freeze it in 3 day portions. Its definitely not the food.

Super Moderator
Has she always had a good appetite before this? All of the Rottweilers that I have had and the ones that I fostered have always been good eaters. Honestly, if one of my dogs was not eating well...I would be concerned. Is she in heat/has she been spayed? Is there any chance that she may have been bitten by a tick? If the picky eating keeps up...I would have her to the vet and ask for a CBC bloodwork. Sometimes appetite is the only thing that may be off? or it could lead to bigger things??

Registered
Has she always had a good appetite before this? All of the Rottweilers that I have had and the ones that I fostered have always been good eaters. Honestly, if one of my dogs was not eating well...I would be concerned. Is she in heat/has she been spayed? Is there any chance that she may have been bitten by a tick? If the picky eating keeps up...I would have her to the vet and ask for a CBC bloodwork. Sometimes appetite is the only thing that may be off? or it could lead to bigger things??
She does this every year during the summer. But as the temp dropped again I've been getting concerned. Like I said she's eating just not a lot. She refused breakfast but ate a her dinner last night. I fed her a half meal this morning and she ate just fine. She DID get bitten by a tick around 2 months ago. Which pissed me off because she's on simparica trio. So 2 months ago she got doubled up with a dose of advantix, which now that you bring that up, I wonder if that's it?? It's around the same time. Good call on that one!

Registered
She does this every year during the summer. But as the temp dropped again I've been getting concerned. Like I said she's eating just not a lot. She refused breakfast but ate a her dinner last night. I fed her a half meal this morning and she ate just fine. She DID get bitten by a tick around 2 months ago. Which pissed me off because she's on simparica trio. So 2 months ago she got doubled up with a dose of advantix, which now that you bring that up, I wonder if that's it?? It's around the same time. Good call on that one!
Also she's only 3.5 and she's had 4 full panels already. Every time she's fine. She's spayed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts