Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, having only previously bred German shepherd. Just had our first litter of rotties I think there very small possibly 6/8oz born full term had her scanned at 5 weeks they said 7+ I knew she wasn't progressing as she should so had her rescaned at 8 weeks and vet only saw 3 heartbeats 6 dead pups and 3 tiny but sucking. Any thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
So sorry to hear this. Most healthy Rottweiler pups weigh 1 lb or more at birth...it depends on the size of the litter. The three pups that you have left are half the size they should be. I would be worried that they will survive. :( It could be genetic or maybe the bitch has a virus? Was she checked for Brucellosis before being bred?? Was the male??
She most likely should not be bred again...until you find out what the problem is. Let us know how the 3 remaining pups are doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So sorry to hear this. Most healthy Rottweiler pups weigh 1 lb or more at birth...it depends on the size of the litter. The three pups that you have left are half the size they should be. I would be worried that they will survive. :( It could be genetic or maybe the bitch has a virus? Was she checked for Brucellosis before being bred?? Was the male??
She most likely should not be bred again...until you find out what the problem is. Let us know how the 3 remaining pups are doing.
Hi, sadly smallest pup has today died (8 days) after a very rocky start being revived at birth and not latching on to start seemed to be doing well gaining weight (14oz) other two are now 1lb 5oz & 15 oz . Mum has loads of milk and looks after them but what concerns me she is reluctant to lay with them as she is too hot she is very much an outside working dog and not used to this heat. There is a heat pad in one corner of whelping box but pups keep crawling off it I'm scared they will get cold.

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
So sorry to hear that you lost the smallest pup. :( So hard that he lived for 8 days and was gaining weight. That whole litter seems like their were problems. Keep an eye on the 15 oz pup....it should be bigger than that after a week on a dam with overflowing milk. Is this the bitches first litter? How old is she?? She should still be very interested in staying and laying with the litter. Usually they don't want to leave the pups for the first 3 weeks...then gradually work up to more time away. What temperature is the heating pad? Lay a kitchen thermometer on it and see. With only 2 pups it's hard for them to regulate their body temperature. If there were 6-9 pups you would not have to worry. What temperature is the room the pups and the mother are in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have doubled there birth weight. Yes first litter she's 3. If they would actually stay on the heat pad!! Room temp is 80f we have show ponies so spent a lot of time outside so poor mum is not used to this heat and I think would rather be outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts