Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, not to go into too much detail but, we let our gorgeous girl off lead while we are walking through fields and cross country! She has ok-ish recall so we keep tabs on her for other dogs and what not but that's not the issue. The concern for us is, she loves to run! She'll hang back just so she can run to us. I'm not talking a gentle trot, no I'm talking full on sprint. I'm a worry wart when it comes to Harley, so I try and reign her in just to slow her down. At the same time though I know she enjoys running in circles and darting across the fields.

Can anyone lend their thoughts on this please? Only because i've heard some horror stories about running rotties! Also, please understand we DO NOT make her run, she does it of her own accord.

Cheers for now.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grass Companion dog

·
Registered
233 Posts
Don't worry about her running as long as she listens when you call her. Our boy is 20 months and has chased our other boy who is a GSP for ever. Now though he can catch him. They both love running and chasing each other on our treed 1 1/2 acres. They have no fat but lots of muscle. Let her run, she will know when to stop.

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts
I agree! Nothing wrong with your pup running. Running is bad for a dog that is under 18 months of age if it is forced type of running. That means leashed and running beside you jogging on pavement, or running leashed to you when you are biking, etc. A dog running freely will know when its tired and slow down and eventually stop. The only thing I would warn you about is to watch your knees when they come zooming along at a full run. I have a creaky knee now because of this. :oops: :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts