Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Dropped my Regen off at my handler's house today and she asked me if I knew of anyone who wanted a pet/companion dog. She has an 8 month old male rottweiler that she would like to find a home for. I didn't think to ask the specifics on him because at the time I didn't know of anybody that was looking for a dog. Then when I got home I thought that I could tell all of you about him. I know that he is out of one of her bitches. His name is Oscar and he is very well socialized around other dogs and people. If anyone is interested, I know that she said she could work some kind of a deal out for him. Let me know and I will contact her and get back with you.:D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Meli, probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway. Having two males together is not good. We did that for awhile when we got Chaos before we lost Zeb. We could never have the two of them out at the same time. Made it very difficult to rotate dogs in and out. But hey, it's the same with bitches. Maddy and Regen are okay together, but I think it's because Maddy is spayed and so old, so Regen leaves her alone. We don't let Lor and Regen out together though because my trainer said that Regen would dominate her and put in her place and if we want to do schutzhund with Lor, it is not good to have another dog dominate her as it lowers her self-confidence. We can't have Lor and Maddy together either, for the same reason. We very seldom have the dogs out together anyway, but occasionally it happens when you are rotating dogs in and out of kennels, crates, yard, etc. Regen and Chaos are the only ones that we have together sometimes and that is when we put them out in the yard for playtime. Still, we don't do that very often either because we don't want them to bond to each other.

Let me know though if you know of anyone who might be interested in Oscar. He is registered and show quality. Roxanne and Johann have beautiful rotties. Johann showed their dog, Avatar Luck of the Draw - aka Ace at Westminster and won. You can google Johann Emedi and Ace and look at what this dog has done.

·
Registered
497 Posts
wow Ace is awesome, beautiful dog!. i will ask around and see if anyone is interested in a rottie, a good friend of mine shows rotties, so im going to ask him. i have a question, odin and jack are together most of the time, they play rough and go out at the same time too, but i can tell that jack lets odin dominate him, when they go inside the house and drink water, jack usually starts to drink first and as soon as odin goes to drink water jack stops and lets him drink by himself (from jack's bowl, odin has his own water bowl but likes to drink from jack's), once odin is done, jack goes and drink again. We thought jack was going to try to dominate odin since he's been with us for so long and hasnt been neutered yet, but its the opposite, jack lets odin get away with everything, sometimes odin bites him hard and jack doesnt do anything :/ is that good or bad? i know they like each other and they get along but i dont want any of this to affect odin and his training.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meli, I forgot that you already have two males together! Dah, brain fart! Welllllll, it looks like it is working for you! That is good. Since you are doing schutzhund with Odin and Odin is the dominant one, I don't think you have to worry about Odin as far as self-confidence. The thing I would worry about is the two of them bonding to each other. Especially if you are doing schutzhund, you want Odin to bond to you and not another dog. You want the focus to always be on you. I am just repeating what my trainer has said to my husband and me.

I know you don't like crates, but our trainer is big on them and I have to say, so are we after listening to her reasoning about their use. Again, especially if you plan on doing schutzhund. It would be hard for me to explain all the reasons for this here, in a post. I wish we could talk in person, then I would be able to explain better.

I wouldn't worry about Odin pushing Jack out of the water dish. I would however, not have the two of them together so much, especially if you want to do schutzhund with Odin. Talk to your trainer about this though, he may have different thoughts about this. What I have learned over the years is that all trainers have the same goals in mind when training for schutzhund, however, they all seem to have different methods to get there! LOL You should listen to them when they get together and talk! What a hoot! :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thank you Jan, i will talk to him next saturday when he comes to see odin. over all odin listens to me, but there are times that he likes to be stubborn, however when he's stubborn i make him listen with a treat in my hand lol he goes crazy over treats! (i give him the liver treats, he loveeeeeees them). I wish you lived closer lol it'd be cool to meet with the dogs and talk in person. what my trainer told me was to take the training step by step and not just focus on schutzhund right now, he said odin needs to learn different things before schutzhund, he said he knows what i want to do with odin and my goals so i guess he knows what hes doing lol, youre so right, trainers have different ways of training, however i've been doing the puppy steps from the website you recommended me, you will be surprised to see how smart odin is (im not saying that just because hes my dog lol i promise), he's a quick learner! i cant wait till we start doing the real schutzhund training tho :p

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are right on, Meli. As far as Odin being smart, I have no doubt. Rottweilers are very, very, smart, sometimes too smart for their own good! LOL But, that's what makes them such an awesome dog. Your trainer is having you focus on obedience I'm sure, but the obedience for schutzhund is slightly different than regular obedience. You have to have the obedience down solid before starting protection training, but ask your trainer about playing with the tug with odin as this really promotes high drive. Since I have already have been through this training with Regen, my trainer doesn't mind me working with the tug, however, your trainer may prefer that you wait because you are still learning. You are doing the real schutzhund training now, even though it doesn't seem like it, even if you are just doing the obedience, as I said, the obedience for schutzhund is different than regular obedience. Getting the obedience down really gives you and Odin the foundation that you will need for the protection part. Be sure to check with your trainer too about doing the puppy steps from the website, as your trainer may have different ideas. Again, your trainer is the expert. It's easy for me to sit back and tell you what to do, or how I have been doing things, but like I said, every trainer has his/her own way of doing things and I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes! LOL Who is your trainer by the way, maybe my trainer knows your trainer. Wouldn't that be cool!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Meli, I have heard of Carlos Rojas before. I don't remember where though. I will have to ask my trainer if she knows him. From what I remember, he is very good and really knows his stuff. I think he is big into GSD's though. Anyway, I think you are in very good hands!:cool:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes he also breeds GSD too and trains them. He has tons of people that have trained their dogs with him and has amazing feedback, he's very popular in this county.

·
Registered
677 Posts
i had two male rotties at one time, they are ok if they are properly exercised and knows who is the alpha, and now i have 2 females and 2 males, no problems! thank god, even though i keep the latest addition crated since shes so tiny! the rottie walks all over her, and i was worried about her safety, its better if she stays crated! the other day he pushed into her to get a treat and she banged against a wall, poor thing!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aisha,
Zeb was a very, very, dominant male and was 9 when we got Chaos who was 6 months old at the time. Even if the dogs know you are the alpha, doesn't prevent them from fighting. I have no doubt that if Zeb had had a chance, he would have killed Chaos, especially since Chaos was so young at the time. If you have two dominant males together, you are looking at a fight, hands down. However, if you have one dominant and one submissive male, you are probably okay, and two submissive males together you are fine. Having dogs that are spayed or neutered also makes a difference, as well as the age of the dogs. When we got Chaos at 6 months, he too was very dominant but would have been no match for Zeb.

The same goes for bitches as well. We can have Maddy and Regen out together, but only because Maddy is so old and submissive and she is also spayed, whereas Regen is younger and very dominant. I know we could never put Regen and Lor together because both of them are very dominant and we would be having a bitch fight. Not yet, as Lor is only 13 weeks old, but definitely down the road. Also, because we plan on working Lor in schutzhund, we don't want Regen dominating her and compromising her self-confidence.

I also know that down the road we won't be able to put Chaos and Lor together because Lor is THE MOST dominant bitch I have ever seen. Even more dominant than Chaos, and I am certain that there would be a fight.

I know that I have my work cut out for me training Lor and I know that she will be challenging ME down the road and I wouldn't expect anything less. She is one DOMINANT little bitch!:eek: No pun intended! LOL I am looking forward to the challenge because I know that in the end I'm going to have the most awesome schutzhund girl! I'm hoping that she out shines all the boys on the field, especially all the GSD's! LOL :p

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Meli, you definitely have a little fighter on your hands! He definitely shows drive for the tug. Here's one suggestion though in regard to "outing" the tug that I picked up from the dvd I rented on Grip and Drive Development for Puppies that my trainer really liked too and is now incorporating in her training for puppies and that is blowing in the puppy's ear to get them to release the tug. However, in the beginning of drive development you should not encourage the puppy to "drop it" this will come later in your training. Focus on having Odin carry the tug and you run with him holding it in his mouth.

If you get a chance, I would highly recommend signing up for the BowWowFlix, it is the best find I think I have ever made! The dvd on Grip and Drive Development for Puppies by Kraftwerk is superb, and really makes sense. I watched it many times and wrote myself notes so I could apply this to my training with Lor AND Regen. The price is really reasonable and definitely is cheaper than buying a dvd.

Sylvia (PAGreatDog) thought it was a good idea, but suggested looking into the background of the trainers before renting them. I have done that with several of the trainers, including Kraftwerk, and there are several really good ones to choose from, and of course, several trainers that I would stay away from too. The turn around for the dvd's are not bad either. I bought the cheapest package, which gives me one dvd at a time for $10.95, and I can keep it as long as I want without getting late fees, when I return it, they immediately send me the next one in my queue. It's pretty cool. Since I can only watch one dvd at a time anyway, I saw no need in getting the more expensive package, and I need the time between returning the dvd and getting the next one, to actually practice what I learned from the dvd. Does that make sense?

If you were to rent the same dvd's as me, we could be doing the same things with Odin and Lor and compare notes. Our puppy's are very close in age and this would be a very cool way to train together without really being together, ya know?

Anyway, think about it and talk it over with your hubby and give it a look together. Here is the website again: BowWowFlix.com: Dog DVD Rentals | Dog Training Dvd | Dog Dvds | Rent Dog Videos

In the left hand margin are the categories and I think I clicked on schutzhund/guard and then went to the second page and found the Grip and Drive Development dvd by Kraftwerk. Stay away from Ed Frawley and anything by Leerberg.

I better go, I have stayed up too late again tonight. I am really becoming addicted to this forum! LOL I have training at 8:30 tomorrow with Lor and Regen and I usually take Regen for a walk before training. Don't think that will happen tomorrow! LOL :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thank you Jan, thats a great website, kinda like netflix lol pretty cool! i will show hubby when he gets home. ive been doing the tug exercises and he really enjoys it, he gets me tired easily lol i actually heard of leerberg before, how come you dont recommend it?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Meli, just me personally, I don't really like the clicker training. Though I know a lot of people swear by it, that use it. Clicker training is just another way of giving positive feedback when the dog has shone an appropriate behavior, I personally like to give my dogs the positive feedback through my voice, actions, etc. I just think the clicker is so impersonal and I want to be more "personal" with my dogs. I want them to focus on me, not the sound of a a clicker. The nice thing about the clicker though, is it is immediate, and timing is everything when you are trying to reinforce an appropriate behavior. Again, it is a matter of preference. Ed Frawley is big on clicker training. I have heard and read some not so flattering things about him as well, that has kind of turned me off.

I really like the looks of Odin, he is going to be one BIG boy on the schutzhund field! Those helpers better watch out, especially if they are used to catching a GSD. Odin is sure to knock em down! LOL Anyway, good luck, Meli with your training, you are off to a great start.

Talk to Carlos about what you are doing at home, and I'm sure he will give you good feedback. I always talk to my trainer just to make sure that I am doing things right and not messing up Lor or Regen's training. Most of the time she tells me I'm doing fine, BUT she has yelled at me too for doing things that I shouldn't have been doing. Not fun getting yelled at!LOL:( I totally understand though as most of the time, or should I say ALL of the time, it is the handlers that are making the mistakes, not the dogs. I got yelled at for playing the two ball game with Lor, where you throw one ball out and when they bring it back you show them the second ball and when they drop the first ball you throw the second ball and just keep playing. My trainer said that by having Lor drop the ball, this will affect her when she does her retrieves with the dumb bell later on. Now, being new to schutzhund, I hadn't thought about the ramifications of playing this simple little game. The dogs are supposed to bring you the dumb bell and sit in front of you until you take the dumb bell from their mouth. Having Lor drop the ball will encourage her to do the same with the dumb bell for her retrieves. Makes total sense now, and I am glad I talked to her about it before I had been doing it for a long time. So be sure to share what you are working on with Odin with your trainer so that both of you are on the same page. ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Meli, i wish I could help you more, but I am just learning about schutzhund too. That is the main reason I got on this forum. Though my trainer is big into GSD's, she does really appreciate any good working dog, and she is the one that told me I should find a good rottweiler forum and just start talking. I so love her, and all the knowledge she has shared with me. I know I come off strong sometimes, and I think that is because when I start something I am so passionate about it that I go overboard, ya know. I just want to be the best at whatever I am into at the time, and right now that is schutzhund. I am finding that the more I learn about schutzhund, the more I realize that I don't know. I'm sure that you are feeling that as well. It can be very overwhelming sometimes. I just wish I had found this forum before I really got into rottweilers 11 some years ago. I also wish that I had known more about schutzhund when we bought Maddy and Zeb, as I think I would have enjoyed doing schutzhund with them, instead, we just did basic obedience and I did enjoy it, but now that I am doing schutzhund I really LOVE this. It really gives the dog a job to do that they really ENJOY doing. This sport isn't for everyone though, I think I shared that most of my teacher friends don't really understand the sport, and they think I am training our dogs to be mean and aggressive.

I have to laugh, because I'm like you, I have been watching videos like crazy too.LOL What a hoot! WE are obsessed!!!!!!!! I'm sure it has to be harder for you though as your husband hasn't totally bought into the whole schutzhund thing. My husband however is the one that got me started when he bought Chaos and started training him. I went to watch and I was hooked. That is when I bought Regen and started her. Eckart Salquist was her breeder and he showed us his stud named Quic. We thought that he was such an awesome dog and asked him to let us know when he was breeding him because we wanted a puppy out of him. We hadn't expected it to be so soon, and that is why we ended up with Lor, because Eckart called us and said he had bred Quic and if we wanted a puppy he would put us down for one. My husband said that this would probably be our last chance to get a docked rottie because as of January, the U.S. will not longer allow docking. I had wanted to wait and title Regen before getting a puppy, especially since I am the one that has been doing all the training, and I am still learning. That is one reason why I was so excited when I found that you wanted to do schutzhund with Odin too. I thought that we could learn together. Yes, I know a little about schutzhund because I have been watching my husband and all the other club members for about a year now, but I still consider myself a novice. Regen has just started working the blinds, but is still on a long line for that. We have a long way to go before getting titled. First comes our BH, which I don't feel like I am going to be ready for in the fall, though my trainer seems to think I will.

Sorry, I'm getting sidetracked again. I wish I could give you the names of other trainers in your area, but I don't know of anyone. Like I said, I have heard about Carlos, and from what I have heard, he is very good, and knows his stuff. I personally think it is good to start a puppy early as they are like little sponges and pick up on learning things so quickly. The video on Grip and Development for Schutzhund Puppies really explains this well AND shows a 9 week old puppy starting work on the tug. You should rent this dvd and have your husband watch it and see if this is something he would want to do with Odin. You can cancel this membership any time, so even if you just watched one dvd and decided not to do schutzhund, you could cancel and you would only be out $10.95. I totally understand that training is expensive and you don't want to keep changing trainers. I think you would be bored if you only did basic/advanced obedience with Odin.

Personal Protection is different from schutzhund, in that schutzhund is a sport, and personal protection is not. My trainer does Personal Protection training too, and helps train the K9's for the Michigan State Police. I don't really know all the differences between the two, other than in personal protection the dogs are allowed to bite the helpers anywhere; on the arm, leg, etc. Much more serious training is involved for personal protection, I think.

Whatever you decide to do, Meli, just go for it! Have fun with Odin, that IS the MOST important thing. I just wish I had gotten into the schutzhund scene earlier in life instead of later! LOL

Do your research, and don't be afraid to look at other avenues, like agility, flyball, rally, and other sports that also are fun for you and your dog. You are so much more ahead of the game than my husband and I were when we got our first rotties. There is so much information out there now on the internet that gives you so many more possibilities to choose from.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thank you Jan, i will be looking for other options, however ive gotten into shutzhund a lot! i even told me husband the other day "what if i become a dog trainer and specialize is shutzhund?" lol he laughed. im in nursing school full time and currently work from home part time (most of the time i work from home sometimes i have to show up in the office :/) but im really considering taking dog training classes as a hobby :), dont know where to go to become a trainer tho lol i guess im going to start going to schutzhund clubs and ask around lol dogs are my passion, i love them, i actually wanted to be a vet but my plans changed, got married young and hubby wants kids in a couple of years so going to school for 8+ yrs isnt an option right now, i also have to help him financially so i chose nursing. Anyways, im going to try to contact clubs here in jersey and see if i can get any help from them, i really want to do this with odin and odin seems to enjoy being active and training as well. I will keep in touch with you :) and definitely become a member to the dvd site, i already told my husband about it :p. its nice to see pics of your dogs in the field, and i cant wait to see pics of lor doing work too :p
i cant believe after january docking wont be allowed, is it in some states or all US?!! thats crazy, i better get my female rottie before january then!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can definitely tell from your posts, Meli, that you have a passion for dogs. You really need to follow your passion if you can. If you google schutzhund dog training schools I'm sure you will come up with something. I do know that the west coast has been light years ahead of the rest of the U.S. in schutzhund, and some of the best working rottweilers are found there. They have so many clubs and training centers out there, it's amazing!

And yes, docking will not be allowed anywhere in the U.S. after January. You can thank PETA for that. The only two countries right now that allow docking are the U.S. and New Zealand and it will only be New Zealand, after January. Because Europe has banned docking, the U.S. cannot show any dogs in schutzhund over there unless it has a tail, that is one reason why a lot of breeders here have already quit docking tails. Otherwise we cannot compete on an international level, only here in the U.S. Also, clubs can't get international judges to judge our schutzhund trials here because the Europeans judges are not allowed to judge a rottweiler without a tail, so the pressure is really increasing to do away with docking altogether. That includes other breeds as well, like dobermans. Can you picture a doberman with a long tail and ears that are not cropped? Man, they will look just like those black and tan hunting dogs! LOL I personally, can't picture a rottweiler with a tail. My preference is a rottie with a docked tail, but that's just me I guess. I think it should be a choice, not rammed down our throats the way it has been. But don't get me started on that! LOL

Nursing is a good field to be in right now. Anything in the health care is where to be, especially with our aging population. There will always be a need in that field. I call that job security! LOL :p

Check and see if there are any club trials going on in your area this summer that you could go and watch. That way you could also talk to some people about your interest in training. It is also a great way to get to know the sport. I have been to a few trials here and really learned a lot just be listening and watching. I was surprised to learn that someone going for a schutzhund 2 or 3 could have their dogs miss all the articles during tracking and still pass! Wow! I think that if you googled upcoming schutzhund trials in New Jersey or other states around yours, you will find something. Check Carlos' website too, he might have events listed on his website.

Keep those pictures coming of Odin. He is changing every day. Really starting to turn in a gangly teenager! LOL:eek:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, and I forgot to mention, put a thread out there asking if anyone knows any good trainers or clubs in New Jersey or close by. Right here on this forum is a good place to ask. :cool:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Jan i did look on the web today and found a couple of clubs, also i decided to train with Carlos, i think im just rushing into things, i have to trsut him, at the end of the day he's the expert not me. he does have upcoming schutzhund events so i asked hubby if we can go and he said YES!! so excited. i will keep you posted :p keep me posted on your babies progress as well :)
thank you!
ohh i will ask the forum when i get back, im getting ready as i write this lol i gotta go but will be back later.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good for you Meli!;) I'm sure you will be happy working with Carlos. Give him a call though and let him know what you have been working on with Odin, even though you won't formally start your training until he is 9 months. Let me know what you think about after going to a trial. I think you are really going to enjoy it!:cool:

I have been so busy with training that I haven't had time to take pictures of the dogs working. I will try to take some pictures on Wednesday at training. Maybe I can get some pics when we are tracking too.

Have a great day!:p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts