Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new to this forum and hope I will learn alot about Rotties in general. My son gave me a puppy for Christmas. So far she is doing great. I hop to learn some training tips specific to Rottweilers.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Companion dog
Dog Carnivore Road surface Asphalt Dog breed
Dog Wood Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

Dog Carnivore Road surface Asphalt Dog breed

Dog Wood Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Companion dog

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! Willa is a cutie!! The best advice I can give you is that Rottweilers need and thrive on training. Get enrolled in a Puppy K class with her and continue in some sort of classes for the next couple of years. They are smart and love to learn!!
How old is Willa?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Willa is 12 weeks old. She was born 10/26. Yes, she is a fast learner. We have been working on sit, down, stay and come. She is doing great for her age. We are working on walking on a leash now. I took her out for her first socialization trip a week ago. I couldn't let her interact with other dogs because she's not fully vaccinated. She was quite nervous at first because of all the different sounds, but did great. I plan to repeat it this week.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once Willa is fully vaccinated, I may sign up for puppy classes. I would like to see how I can do. I have two labs that I trained, and they are well behaved. I am strongly considering signing up for advanced classes in the future. I would like for Willa to learn to cart when she is old enough. My son has always had Rottweilers and I dog sit for him sometimes, so I am familiar with the breed.

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
Hi,
Willa is 12 weeks old. She was born 10/26. Yes, she is a fast learner. We have been working on sit, down, stay and come. She is doing great for her age. We are working on walking on a leash now. I took her out for her first socialization trip a week ago. I couldn't let her interact with other dogs because she's not fully vaccinated. She was quite nervous at first because of all the different sounds, but did great. I plan to repeat it this week.
Try to get her out more often. Socialization does not mean meeting and playing with other dogs....it can mean seeing people from a distance...hearing different sounds and sites. Seeing a garbage truck, seeing cars going by. Sit her in a shopping cart in Home Depot or whatever places dogs are allowed and take her. Just don't take her to a pet food store where there are strange dogs around. Sit on a bench with her and people watch. The time for socialization is now...because that window will be closed by the time all of her vaccinations are done.

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
Once Willa is fully vaccinated, I may sign up for puppy classes. I would like to see how I can do. I have two labs that I trained, and they are well behaved. I am strongly considering signing up for advanced classes in the future. I would like for Willa to learn to cart when she is old enough. My son has always had Rottweilers and I dog sit for him sometimes, so I am familiar with the breed.
Most puppy classes require them to have their second set of shots...usually first set are given at 8 weeks and second set around 11-12 weeks. She should be fine now if she has had her second set of shots. Most places that do dog training require extra cleaning etc. Puppies should be safe. You will enjoy classes and so will Willa. Carting is fun...I have a friend that does that with her Rotties. I did tracking and obedience with mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts