Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WOULD LIKE TO START OUT BY INTRODUCING MYSELF AS THE OWNER OF 2 ROTTIES NAMED JAYDA AND JAZZO.

THEY GET INTO EVERYTHING BY CHEWING, TEARING AND DESTROYING. CHEW TOYS ARE A JOKE TO THEM AND THE BONES THAT WE SPEND A FORTUNE ON MAY KEEP THEM QUIET FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS.

I AM SO CLOSE TO JUST GIVING UP. THEY DESTROYED OUR BACKYARD AND THE GARAGE.

SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME SOME WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT OR SOME APPRECIATED ADVICE. I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT THEY ARE 1 YEAR OLD.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
First off Hi welcome to the group.

wow you are brave 2 puppies at one time.

Are they crate trained?If they were in crates they would not being destroying anything.

Go to your local meat market and get some soup bones,they are good for your dog and last a little longer then store bought bones.(make sure they are given raw.

Do you take them to any classes,a busy Rottweiler is a happy Rottweiler.If they go to school you can try and tire them out buy working them.

I hope we can help you here.

Donna

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome.. I am new here myself..

I can only say that the best way to deter the dogs from doing this is to TOTALLY take away the temptation or items they get into. It may be hard with a couple a youngsters like you have, but you can still Rott proof your home. (to some extent)
Edited by: Bellas Daddy

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi Kathyt,

Welcome to the club ! I myself have 2 litter mates that are 5 months old ! ( first time for this )I also have a male that will be 8 in July, a female that is 4, ...my 5 month olds and my oldest male are rescues. Donna is right about the crates . Do you crate? It's the only way to go ! My dogs love their crate's....I would't have a dog without a crate ! Don't give up ! ( do you think I like crates) If their chewing anything and everything all the time I have found that they are bored and usally insecure with themselfs ...... training is the key to a happy Rottie and a happy owner

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hi Kathyt!

I agree with everyone here. A tired rottie is a happy rottie. Sounds like they are chewing from boredom.

The big bones from a butcher are a great idea and the crate training is even better. It will protect both the dogs and your home.

And, you haven't said if you are doing any type of obedience work with the dogs. If you aren't that is the next step too.

Rotties are working dogs and do best if they have a "job."

And, don't forget to play with them. Play with them ALOT!

Good luck, train your dogswell andbe patient!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know what I would do with out a crate, I really would have ended up in an institution had I had to of left the house with Bronx running wild, and with Brooklyn, the pit bull, if they were out alone together man would I be sorry, they don't fight, but the house would likely be a mess and the walls and door frames would be gone.

Hell even with the crate, Bronx as a pup ended up chewing the door frame and a cupboard.

Words of encouragement, when they calm down you see why you put up with such crazy antics, its all worth it. Keep at it, and it will pay off. Good Luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
i agree with everyone with the crating idea. it does really work
wonders. you have more sanity than i do to take on 2 puppies at once.
emma dont care for chew toys or bones either but i am going to try the
soup bone idea.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Crating is the way to go it really works. I like to get my rotties the big beef knuckles I pick them up at the local butcher and there more than happy to cut the big or to long bones in half for me . As for being bored these dogs are like natural soccer players. I give my rotties a soccerball or a basketball and they run across the yard pushing the ball with their front feet just try and getthe ball away orget by them with the ball its a blast. Good luckand dont give upon thethem yetthey will bring you a life time ofhappyness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your advice. We use to have them in a crate and then my hubbie decided that they would be too bored to sit in there all day while we were at work so he got a kennel that would fit into the garage. it almost seemed like a good idea until they started sliding it all over the place and eventually whatever they could reach they would destroy.

I felt guilty for leaving them in a crate for 8 hours while we were at work. how do you guys feel about that? is that too long?

i will also be making a trip to the butcher shop to get some bones, thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I find that mine actually doesn't mind the crate, we say go to bed and he is in it right away, Its just good piece of mind knowing your pup isn't going to choke on anything it finds, and they really don't seem to mind them when they are trained for it. Bronx will lie down and stay lying down in it till I open up the door, we have a pillow in it for him, but the pillow did not get added right away, as a younger guy he would have eatten it. Its so much safer and you don't stress all day about them hurting themselves.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Kathyt,&nbsp ; Rotties like being a part of the family, my crates are in my dining room right next to my computer deskwhere I am sitting now ( I have a very large dining room) but my point is they like to be where the action is even ifyour notthere ....are they sliding the crate around while they are in it ?&nbsp ; I have found having my crates in my living area my dogs go in them at any givin time just to lay down and relax. you need to make it a safe haven for them not a place that is scary and out of site , I havetwo 5 month olds and they love their crates , after lunch and nite time, I know where I can find my babieswhen they are tired.... in their crate
all I have to do at night is shut the door !

·
Registered
914 Posts
YEAH the only way to go is definetly the crates and they do love to be where the action is. I was wondering are they ever in the house with you guys or are they always outside and in the garage? just curious cause that might be part of it too, they love to be with their people and can start showing out also if they don't get enough of your attention. and yes you need to get them some real bones they will love those and might decide to leave the other stuff alone if they have enough of those. well stocked supply is how we do it. I have a male that is almost 5 and a female who will be 1 soon and they can cause some havoc if we don't pay enough attention or give them plenty of alternatives to do with their time. So just listen to these people they will not steer you wrong and you may find that you are happy and wonder why you ever thought you might give up the best dogs in the world. but....that's just my opinion!LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dogs are in the garage most of the time because it was very hard to maintain the house with them in it. I had some serious issues with leaving them in the crate all day and really felt bad doing that. I wanted them to entertain each other while we were not home.

I thought when they matured a little bit hopefully with age we can move them back into the house. I also think that another problem can be that Jayda(girl) is fixed and Jazzo(male) is not. We plan to get him fixed by the end of this month.

What can I do about them digging enormous holes in our backyard? I guess by all the questions and concerns you can tell that I have some issues going on. They are wonderful dogs and I know that they miss being in the house with us like they use to, however, we can not afford the damages that they were making to the house and furniture and I did not want to crate them all day.

My husband came up with the idea to build the indoor kennel in the garage.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Kathyt, Again digging holes is a sign of boredom, not knowing what to do with themselfs ,. do you have a fenced in yard? their lonely being out in the garage all day . I know you think it's better but it's not you need to bring them in and crate them in the house . Since they are a yr. old they can hold their blatter with no problem,NO water or foodin the crate. Dogs will sleep all day ! Thats their job
Being left alone in a garage all day leaves them to get into mischief and things that could posilbly could hurt them
I know what I have in my garage ..... Do they sleep in the garage at night ?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
They do sound bored.Rottweilers are thinking dogs and need stimulation,if they do not get it they become distructive.

Being in crates for the day would be better then being together in a kennel in the garage.

Donna

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yeah they need to be in the house with you guys and crating them in the house is way better than being in the garage and yard away from you all day and nite. they are very social animals and they get lonely and bored and they think they aren't loved if they are kept out away from you all the time. Sorry but that is justthe way they are made.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.