Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with a broken heart that I'm posting the news that we had to have Jemma euthanized last week. She lived a good long life for Rottweiler at 11 1/2 years of age. She had been slowing down this summer...but we thought with the hot summer, and her age...it was just a part of growing old.

The vet thinks that she had hemangiosarcoma...and bled out from a splenic tumor. She was fine that morning had her breakfast, and a little walk. Was sleeping on her sofa...and quickly jumped off and wanted to go outside. She seemed to stagger around with her legs stiff, and her head hanging down, I thought maybe she was going to have a seizure. She did not want to come back inside...I finally coaxed her in..she layed down and could not get up. She was panting hard. I had some tramadol which I gave her for pain..after an hour she managed to get up, and drank a full bowl of water. She walked into the living room, where she lay down on the floor, and could not get up.

I called my vet, and because it was after a long weekend, and with this covid-19 crap...they are not allowing owners into the vet clinic..and having to wait in their cars,etc. they were packed with clients. I was told it may be an hour or two wait in the car to be seen. Jemma does not like the vet office, and has always had to be muzzled...not a good patient. I gave her more tramadol...and decided to see if I could get a visit to come to our place. No vets available in our area...sigh. She seemed to have perked up a bit later..but would not eat. I stayed up with her during the night, and did get her to go outside a couple of times.

Next morning got her into another vet clinic...and looking at her big belly..the news was not good. Instead of putting her through stress with tests,etc...we thought it was kinder to euthanize her. This is the first time in 44 years that we are without a dog...the house is so quiet and empty. Jemma was also our last Rottweiler. We are getting older, and handling a big, strong dog...just does not make sense anymore. I guess we will have to start locking our doors?(something I never worried about before).

We are looking into getting a Border Terrier. They are cute, and portable...and have some 'attitude'..which I like..LOL With Covid-19 it will take awhile to get another dog...either a pup, or we are interested in a retired breeding female. We shall see?? It will be 2021 before we will get one. For now, I will enjoy my boarding dogs.

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your condolences. I really would like another dog...we've always had 2 or even 3 dogs at a time...but because when we lost Baxter, Jemma was already 6, and not wanting to put up with puppy nonsense, we left it at one dog. Now with Covid-19, everyone and his uncle wants a dog...there are no dogs to adopt, and breeders have been inundated with requests for puppies. Our local shelter is shipping dogs from the reserves from up north...most of them are husky mixes. I don't want a husky mix. We will just have to wait and be patient for the right dog for us. I've volunteered for too many years to see what impulse buying/adoptions can do.

Jemma did not suffer...luckily I had a good supply of tramadol and I made sure she was comfortable. Trying to get a 90+lb dog that cannot walk into a car for seniors is not easy, and living in a rural area...our choice of vets is small. Between Covid-19, vets on holidays, and our own vet out on medical leave...it made things difficult.

I'm not sure if I'm up to a tiny dog...like a chi....but I do want to do barn hunt, earth dog, lure racing and other fun things with our next dog.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.