Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with either Ballardhaus Rottweilers or Vom Bullenfeld Rottweilers? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Not familiar with either, but Ballardhaus offers a 2 year hip guarantee - which is crap since you can't do squat in terms of OFA until 2 years of age - unless the breeder will accept OFA prelim results as proof the pup had a hip issue - that's issue #1 with those folks.

Issue #2: $2500 for a PUPPY? COMPLETELY OUTRAGEOUS!
Issue #3 - HEALTH TESTING! I see NOTHING listed on OFA for the dogs on their site except an occasional hip score...

Walk away from that one and don't look back!

Vom Bullenfeld - not thrilled with them either....just don't see enough on their site to make me consider further inquiry...

What do you want in a rottweiler? What experience do you have with the breed? I recall a conversation with someone who wanted a high drive dog with alot of attitude as they wanted to do EVERYTHING with the dog - Schutzhund, agility, tracking, herding, obedience, etc...well, their high drive insane dog killed a sheep while at herding training (instructor was also an idiot but that's my opinion only), and attacked another dog at agility class. The dog was then returned to the breeder because it was 'too much' for them to handle.

My reply was short and sweet - "Be very careful what you ask for - you just may get exactly that"

When I was looking for a rottweiler I wanted a smaller bitch with attitude and drive - I wanted smaller because I wanted an agility dog. Well, damn if I didn't get exactly what I wanted! She's small (a little winter chubby at 70 pounds), and has attitude to spare and lots of drive...but at the same time she's biddable (willing to work for me) and has an 'off switch'...

So, I recommend making a list of what you want in a dog and start with that list. I'd also recommend looking outside your home state, and be very willing to wait.

I also DESPISE a breeder that promises "pick of the litter" - the breeder is the only one that can properly match a pup they've bred to a potential buyer - what if the pick isn't a good match for the person who is paying for that pick? Then what??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anne and Ross

Thank you very much for you replies. I have been lurking here for a while and I knew I would get the honest answers I was looking for. I currently own a 7 year old rescue rottie mix. Every animal I have owned has been a rescue and I agree that rescues can be wonderful pets. Again thank you for your replies and taking the time to look at those websites. I promise you that I will do my due diligence before I make this very importtant decision. I also promise you that I will be back asking more questions.

Al

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
I suggest contacting all rottie rescues within several states of where you are. Let them know what you are looking for. Also, check out petfinder.

Ross

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know personally Dr. Vladimir Petrovic, I been in his house/kennel very good healthy environment, and is weird some people said on their website is not enough information that surprise me, they do have a very good website providing general information, males and females info, puppy info, puppy contract, about us page, they been breeding for 32 years in total, they moved 1995 to US from Serbia where having a rottweiler is like having a cow in India, if you know what I mean they deal with rotties for entire life.

If you want a good breeder in Missouri I reccomend them 100%, they give you 27 months warranty on hips that way you have enought time to get results from O.F.A. !!!

visit their webpage go to google and search vombullenfeld

ohh also they do NOT have ridiculous prices like 2500+ per puppy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just thought I would comment since I was mentioned in this forum. I had a few people send me messages about this.

SOMEONE must not have read everything on my site in the fullest. I have a 2 year hip and health guarantee, BUT it states in my contract which is online that you need to xray at 12 months and again at 2 yrs. If there is any question at that point on hips then you an additional 3 months to re-xray if lets say it was bad set up or something like that. I have OFA documents for all my dogs. Most were also done in Europe as well before ever shipped to me. Since I also do not trust all European scores I re-xray here in the states. I am also one of very few that guarantee a passing OFA and guarantee a correct bite for my show dogs.

As for puppy price. Never EVER have a sold a PET for $2500. My average pets are $1300 & $1500. Sometimes if I have a lot of money invested in a certain litter with the parents showing titles then I will charge $1800. Price is based on the individual breedings. NOT just a whatever price. This is about being able to recoup my showing costs and the money I make goes back into the breed. The little money I make on my pups pays for our bills associated with the dogs. For instance, last month my electric bill to keep my basement warm for my dogs was $844. I have proof of that if someone doesnt believe me. The puppy money paid that bill. I also buy all my fur-kids bones, treats, balls, and toys. They are not caged animals thrown out to be breeders. They are my children. I had one female up for sale that I couldnt find a GOOD home for because every one who wanted her ONLY wanted to breed her and wanted to throw her in an outside kennel. She is here with me and she will be until she is spayed and I find the correct home for her. if not, she will stay here until she dies.

I have always stood behind my dogs. ALWAYS. But honestly have never had any major problems. I have had 2 dogs xray and not pass on hips which in my opinion is pretty good in all these years! I practically beg people to xray their dogs hips so i can tell if there was a problem in a line that we used. Then I would never use it again. We all know that no litter is perfect but we can try our best to produce the best. I welcome ANYONE to add me on facebook, and publicly ask on my wall if anyone would give me a reference and I promise you will get flooded with people who have kept in contact with me for YEARS and know me. They also have been to my house. I do not keep my dogs kenneled outside. We have a walkout basement with a sectional couch and tv so we hang with our dogs all the time. I have loose dogs, like my stud dog that is all over the place upstairs and down. We rotate them as well. We recently just moved onto 16 acres to give the dogs more room to run and play.

I caution those that jump out to cast judgement when they have not worked with me personally. If you judged solely on what you see online, you will be sadly mistaken in your opinions because there are a few breeders in MO that claim to have full hip guarantees and when you read their contract they only cover for crippling dysplasia. There are many breeders in MO that have European ratings written, but I dare you to ask them for copies of their xray reports. There are also breeders in MO that claim they show and are active in the breed but have not shown in 3+ years.

I work with one of the top Handlers in the midwest. Julia Foster. She OWNS one of my dogs because she liked that breeding so much. She shows my dogs and has seen them all. She also has seen their health certificates. She won breed with Patrone (not my dog) at the 2010 Wesminster for those of you who do not know her. She knows me well and is more than willing to give a reference of me and my home.

I WILL NOT speak of the other kennels in Missouri on a personal level, but would tell most people to really do their homework. I care about the well being of my dogs and i enjoy the sport of showing. I am ACTIVE in the breed and do not breed solely for money. I feed ALL NATURAL food (TASTE OF THE WILD) to my dogs and I am also a dog groomer and make sure my dogs are groomed and well taken care of.

I have owned Rottweilers since I was 3yrs old. I grew up with my father being a member of the Greater St. Louis Rottweiler Club. We did years of agility and obedience with this breed. In high school I trained my own Rottweiler at the Tom Rose School which is very well known in St. Louis.I am also currently a member of Spirit of the Heartland Kennel Club that puts on a few shows a year at purina farms. I started showing for the passion of the breed and my first show dog was Dysplastic. I have YET to see a replacement and i vowed NEVER to do that to anyone else. I have a 6 yr old daughter that is learning to show and she is very active with the dogs. There is video on my YOUTUBE of my daughter running and playing with my dogs. Also showing and placing in the international shows with her Shar-pei. Very rarely will you ever see plain video on a website because people have too much to hide. I am an open book.

So please, before you cast judgement, feel free to contact me directly and see what I am about. I believe that the proof is in the pudding. When I first started actually breeding I made a few mistakes not knowing better and bred a dog at 20months old. I was told immediately that that was a NO NO....never in the years since have I done it again. I work to better the breed and I put A LOT of effort in my breedings. Ive spent hours researching pedigrees. I have worked hard to build a good CLEAN name for myself and do not want someone to get the wrong idea of me solely on misinformation.

If anyone would like to speak with me about my dogs feel free to call me. Krystal Ballard 314-280-8967
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh, as for the PICK OF THE LITTER thing....I make the final decision on who gets WHAT dog. We do a PICKING ORDER...and I evaluate each puppy and decide on a few that a home can choose from. I have my puppies evaluated by my handler as well because I believe it is important to have 2 sets of eyes on a litter. We do not just throw any dog with any person. We have an application and I make notes on the application on what kind fo puppy would be best suited for each person. I also have turned down many people in the past to get a dog from me. I am NOT a rottweiler super market and you WILL need permission to own one of my babies. --- As for drive, we breed for the total Rottweiler. We do not breed for something that is OVERKILL in one area. My puppies have gone out and done Schutzhund, herding, carting, obedience, therapy, and of course conformation. We also have a temperament guarantee in our contract that if for any reason a puppy didnt turn out in temperament they can come back for a full replacement.

Im sorry, but my Kennel just does not compare with a lot of the BS kennels out there. We have worked hard to make it a point to surpass that point and are ALWAYS striving to do better and better.

Krystal Ballard

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
As for puppy price. Never EVER have a sold a PET for $2500. My average pets are $1300 & $1500. Sometimes if I have a lot of money invested in a certain litter with the parents showing titles then I will charge $1800. Price is based on the individual breedings. NOT just a whatever price. This is about being able to recoup my showing costs and the money I make goes back into the breed. The little money I make on my pups pays for our bills associated with the dogs. For instance, last month my electric bill to keep my basement warm for my dogs was $844. I have proof of that if someone doesnt believe me. The puppy money paid that bill.
So you breed dogs in order to pay your bills and be able to breed more dogs????

·
Registered
13 Posts
So you breed dogs in order to pay your bills and be able to breed more dogs????
Really? Is that how you read that? Interesting. I believe I show my dogs too. Basically, I breed to create Champions..I breed to BETTER the breed.....I work hard to convince the people that call me looking for ROCKWILER to breed, NOT TO BREED...I try to help people do things the right way....I place about 1/3 of my litters into show homes...I breed to support my showing and for them to support themselves. I am sorry but if you see a problem with that....you are taking it the WRONG way. There are bigger fish to fry and unfortunately for YOU i am not one of them. You can twist my words or anything you see on my website any way you want. Ive said who I am and what Im about.

There is always someone who has negatives to say. I am confident in my breedings and all my reasons for breeding. Furthermore...you will not see that i am driving an outrageously priced car, nor do I live in a mansion. The focus should be on those who are paying for their LEXUS or ESCALADES with their dog money. I pay for my travel to dog shows, quality food for them, and things that pertain to that.

If i wanted to make quick cash i would have never put all the money into my dogs like I have. I have $3500 to $12,000 in my imports. Name a backyard breeder or puppymill that does that?

Enough said. I have defended myself for statements that were made based on information that was not factual. I encourage anyone to do their homework and find the right breeder. I do not hide behind a computer and make false statements or change things around to create drama....

Krystal Ballard

·
Registered
824 Posts
Oh, as for the PICK OF THE LITTER thing....I make the final decision on who gets WHAT dog. We do a PICKING ORDER...and I evaluate each puppy and decide on a few that a home can choose from. I have my puppies evaluated by my handler as well because I believe it is important to have 2 sets of eyes on a litter. We do not just throw any dog with any person. We have an application and I make notes on the application on what kind fo puppy would be best suited for each person. I also have turned down many people in the past to get a dog from me. I am NOT a rottweiler super market and you WILL need permission to own one of my babies. --- As for drive, we breed for the total Rottweiler. We do not breed for something that is OVERKILL in one area. My puppies have gone out and done Schutzhund, herding, carting, obedience, therapy, and of course conformation. We also have a temperament guarantee in our contract that if for any reason a puppy didnt turn out in temperament they can come back for a full replacement.

Im sorry, but my Kennel just does not compare with a lot of the BS kennels out there. We have worked hard to make it a point to surpass that point and are ALWAYS striving to do better and better.

Krystal Ballard
Thanks for coming on, it's always nice to hear the other side respond. Welcome to the site Krystal

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I breed to support my showing and for them to support themselves.

I am sorry but if you see a problem with that....you are taking it the WRONG way. There are bigger fish to fry and unfortunately for YOU i am not one of them.
Not twisting words at all - simply bring out a simple fact that you your self stated - you breed to pay your bills...you breed to support your showing - same thing.

Glad you're having success with that but you're not someone I'd ever recommend for that exact fact - I don't care that you spent a bajillion dollars on imports - I want to see titles at both ends of the dogs names and passing health clearances - I don't care what you've spent on your dogs. I DO CARE that the dogs you are breeding have passing health clearances and working titles - but your website makes it VERY hard to find that information - why not list the clearances and titles up front with the names of the dogs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you ever paid for a dog, which im assuming you you did.....or you rescued or whatever.......so anyway...if you EVER PAID for a dog/puppy, you in fact paid someones bills. What do you think they did with the money? Donated it? So did you tell the breeders you bought from they better not put that money into the showing of their dogs, or they better not allocate some of that money to pay an electric bill? Really? Does that sound logical?
Tell me then, why if what you are saying is right...why did you have to pay for a dog at all.....
Finally...MOST people do not even know what those health clearances are...BUT it is something I discuss with EVERY puppy person that calls me. I usually even ask them if they know what OFA is. I have links to OFA on my website and I have been working on a page for people to use that is similar to the sticky on this forum for finding the right breeder.

Titles are on their individual pages along with their parents info and titles. The titles I choose to work towards are showing titles. SOOOOOORRRRYYYY if my dogs dont have the other titles YOU look for. Does that make me such a bad breeder that you make a statement to someone to STEER CLEAR from my kennel? Seriously? Instead of skimming my website and casting judgement, take some time to go through it. If you cant find something feel free to call me. Ive gotten a TON of response on Facebook with this discussion and it seems that you like to give your opinion of Breeders fairly quickly. Ive received many private emails about you being a very active forum member who tends to throw kennels you've never even heard of under the bus. I suggest you not even judge a breeder from their website, but rather pick up a phone and talk to them. Ive seen some really shady breeders with ofa's and all kinds of stuff plastered all over their website...to make them look great...but know for a fact they have bred father to daughter, they have 5-6 litters on the ground in 2-3 months time and just dont post those litters. But it YOU got on their website you would say "looks good" because they have all the requirements that you have placed in YOUR head on classifies a breeder as a good breeder. Really in fact they are a glorified puppymill. Well now if this were the case and you told someone that was a great breeder....you just gave them information based solely on website. FIND people who know these breeders...call them..ask about them.....there are TONS of people you can ask about me....NOT ONE unhappy puppy client.....NOT ONE.....I appreciate the fact you are trying to help people. But taking odds and ends off my website and repeating them on here in a construed fashion without actually KNOWING the facts is not helpful to a potential buyer. Sorry my website was not informational enough for you. It has quite a bit more on it than most and I have tried to make it very easy for people to read and find things they are looking for...like training, health info, grooming and all that.

I am done with this issue. Im over it. But I feel like you should rethink dishing out advice about people you do not know. Instead, offer to give them tips of what to ask for and what to look for. If I dont fall in YOUR category then so be it. But dont go around trying to act like im not a good breeder because of it. Feel free to call me if you want to discuss any further. 314-280-8967

Have a good day.
Krystal Ballard

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
If you ever paid for a dog, which im assuming you you did.....or you rescued or whatever.......so anyway...if you EVER PAID for a dog/puppy, you in fact paid someones bills. What do you think they did with the money? Donated it? So did you tell the breeders you bought from they better not put that money into the showing of their dogs, or they better not allocate some of that money to pay an electric bill? Really? Does that sound logical?

Tell me then, why if what you are saying is right...why did you have to pay for a dog at all.....

Ive received many private emails about you being a very active forum member who tends to throw kennels you've never even heard of under the bus. I suggest you not even judge a breeder from their website, but rather pick up a phone and talk to them.
Three of my four dogs were adopted from rescue groups. I paid a $175 adoption 'donation' for Ben, which BARELY covered his veterinary care, including neuter. Baron failed his second evaluation for the rescue (passed the fist one done by my husband and myself) and my husband wanted to adopt him, so we essentially got him for 'free' except for the gas for transporting him and small fee WE paid to get him out of the shelter. Jayda was returned to the rescue and she had been our foster, so we were able to adopt her.

Neelah I purchased from a breeder BUT I know for a FACT that she didn't make ANY money on the litter - and that's NOT why she breeds. ANY money from selling the puppies went to cover her costs in breeding the litter - NOT to cover costs to show the dogs - the costs incurred in breeding the bitch, care before, during and after whelping, vaccines and care for the pups until they went to their new homes. There were 11 puppies in her litter, she kept one, two went to the bitch's co-owner and the remaining 8 were sold.

I know of a fantastic breeder that has several litters per year and she's not making any money either, but I'll be damned if her dogs are not kicking butt in the show ring and performance events.

I'd like to know who the chicken s**t people are who can't contact me directly regarding this issue - I don't give a rats a$$ what people think of me. I have reasons for my opinions, and like everyone else, I am entitled to those opinions. I am, however, NOT afraid to voice my opinions, like some folks apparently are.

I'm done...not only with this discussion, but with this forum...ya'll don't like me...well, then, buh buy and good luck to ya'll...I'll sit back and watch the idiots and their BYB dogs with health issues cry about how they got suckered, and I'll sit and be happy about the well bred dogs doing well in events...but I'm not gonna post anything.

YOU WIN...happy now???!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
This was not a game. Not about winning or losing. I'm moving forward with NO FURTHER COMMENT ON THE MAIN ISSUE
I think all I needed to say has been said. What you do with your future on this forum is your business. Just leave me out of it as you know nothing about me or my dogs. I do know that you have been active in rescue and I applaud you for that. Just hope that maybe you will think twice before casting judgements on others.

Thanks to the 28 people who privately messages me through this forum/my email/ and Facebook.
Krystal Ballard

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
I can name a puppy mill in Tn that bought Euro champions just to make their website look good. Said puppy mill was kicked out of Florida many years ago & still has law suits against them if they ever return to Fl.

Ross

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can name a puppy mill in Tn that bought Euro champions just to make their website look good. Said puppy mill was kicked out of Florida many years ago & still has law suits against them if they ever return to Fl.

Ross
I happen to know about 7 off the top of my head. It's sickening and it sad. There is one north of St Louis that has anywhere from 4-5 litters on the ground at one time and all his dogs are euro imports. Yuck

1 - 20 of 42 Posts