Rottweilers Online Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Anne and Ross

Thank you very much for you replies. I have been lurking here for a while and I knew I would get the honest answers I was looking for. I currently own a 7 year old rescue rottie mix. Every animal I have owned has been a rescue and I agree that rescues can be wonderful pets. Again thank you for your replies and taking the time to look at those websites. I promise you that I will do my due diligence before I make this very importtant decision. I also promise you that I will be back asking more questions.

Al
Can I ask if you actually talked to these breeders about their dogs at all or just skimming websites for review?

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
I've a question in that why do you want a dog from a breeder rather then from a rottie rescue? Think about that long & hard. The only thing you can't do with a rescue is the show ring. You can register a rescue with the AKC to do events like rally, carting, etc though many places don't even require it.
Its more about working with the dog then where it comes from. The more you work with them seems the smarter they become. And the amount of experience you have with the breed is a determining factor. You really don't want a high energy, high drive for your first rottie as it will probably be too much to handle. But that is where getting a dog from a rottie rescue comes in. They know the breed & can match you with a dog that will fit you.
And sometimes the dog you think you want isn't the right dog for you. A good rottie rescue will recognise that.

Ross

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I know of a fantastic breeder that has several litters per year and she's not making any money either, but I'll be damned if her dogs are not kicking butt in the show ring and performance events.

I'd like to know who the chicken s**t people are who can't contact me directly regarding this issue - I don't give a rats a$$ what people think of me. I have reasons for my opinions, and like everyone else, I am entitled to those opinions. I am, however, NOT afraid to voice my opinions, like some folks apparently are.

I'm done...not only with this discussion, but with this forum...ya'll don't like me...well, then, buh buy and good luck to ya'll...I'll sit back and watch the idiots and their BYB dogs with health issues cry about how they got suckered, and I'll sit and be happy about the well bred dogs doing well in events...but I'm not gonna post anything.

YOU WIN...happy now???!!!
I have already contacted Anne privately and asked that she reconsider and remain with our group. I have found her input very helpful, particularly to new members and those with little rottweiler experience.

Let's remember that we are all expressing opinions, or writing about our experiences. Each person has to take what is helpful from what they read.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey like I said, I have no problem with her on the forum. I encourage people to get help when try need it and her input may be good at times. My problem is when she is basing her OPINION on skimming a website or not actually reading it all. I also think making a comment to steer clear of my kennel is a little over the top for someone who not only doesn't know me, but makes comments based on things she knew nothing of. The guy asked originally if anyone knew of the kennels named. She jumped on the webpages and castes judgement without so much as reason the entire website or picking up the phone.

You cannot be angry with a breeder like myself when someone talks crap for what they ThougHt were valid reasons and they in fact were wrong.

Furthermore, just because I don't do Schuthund at the present time or have cd's at the end of my dogs names does not make me a bad breeder. That is NO reason to tell someone to stay clear. Also, anyone who knows me would know that I recently had posted on Facebook how excited I was that the kennel club i belong to was hosting a CGC day. I had planned to bring my dogs too. Also, this yeary main stud stud was going to be traveling to the shows to earn his obedience titles. But see, Anne didn't know that and through a judgement out there. That's just NOT right. I don't care what your excuse is about opinions. If you are going to give an opinion, base it on facts and REAL knowledge of the breeder. Just because YOU think that the dogs should have certain titles does not mean a breeder is bad.

I am sorry, Anne, if you got upset and wanted to leave the board. I think you need to step back and look at this through my eyes. I've worked VERY hard to be the best I can be and I am available to my puppy people day and night. I help people get into things like herding, carting, obedience, showing-- when no other breeder would give them the time of day to explain how those things work and how to get started. So many breeders out there just sell the pups and don't look back. Not me-- I am always inquiring about my pups. Anne, you can choose to believe what you want about where the money went with your breeder--- I could get into a big long convo about that but I won't-- what I am telling you is that just because I choose to take leftover (after litter expense) money and use it for showing or bills related to the dogs does not make me a bad person or breeder. I am not a rich person-- I don't drive an expensive car-- I live paycheck to to paycheck like most Americans. To think that I "cash in" on these dogs is a huge Misconception. I have been with this breed for over 20yrs. I know about this breed inside and out. I have helped with rescues, I donote money from every litter to rescues or the Rott health foundation.

There's no need to leave the forum. Stay awhile. Just don't be so quick to talk crap about a breeder you don't know.
After looking through posts from other forums you have commented on, I bet you didn't even know that you had told someone a breeder looked ok to you and in fact that breeder has done some not so ethical things. I think it just proves my point--

Typed this from my iPhone--sorry if there are errors.
-Krystal Ballard

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
Please, we all disagree sometimes but give the other person the respect you would want.

For those of us that have rescued, there are certain red flags on breeders websites. If a person wants a pup for a show dog pups previously bred by the people should have CH infront of their name. People wanting a pup for working should see from a breeder previous pups with working titles behind their name. I can't speak for Anne, but I would guess these are some of the red flags she had seen.

Ross

·
Registered
13 Posts
Understood Ross-- the OP never stated if he wanted working or show home. I have CH and almost all my dogs come out of strong Sch lines. I personally do not have the time to do Sch with a 6 yr old, a job, and all the other things we do-- 4h club with my daughter and her horses. Husband an I discussed it and thought it would be better to take on when we could give it 100% dedication. Still--doesn't make me a bad breeder.

What had been said is said. I hold to my opinions just as much ad Anne I'm sure. Just think a person coming to the Missouri Breeders section should get a fair evaluation of a breeder from someone that KNOWS the breeders I'm question. Not someone making a bunch of guesses and assumptions. Anne, I'm sure you would agree that this topic has been exhausted. Let's lay it to rest. No hard feelings. Just wanted you to know where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Understood Ross-- the OP never stated if he wanted working or show home.
And therein lies the problem. When posts such as these pop up, nothing is stated to the op's experience with the breed, what they are or are not looking for. And I'm guessing from this whole discussion none of the breeders asked about were ever contacted.

This thread has almost 600 views, one would hope (though I am doubtful) that some kind of learning has taken place here. That is, if you are looking for a puppy/breeder, you must pick up the phone and ask questions. People need to start doing their own legwork, if you want to know about a breeder or a breeder's dogs, the best place to get answers is thru that breeder's puppy buyers. Start researching pedigrees and/or lines and ask breeders about what they know of these dogs in the pedigrees, what these dogs throw in terms of temperment and working ability, health background etc. Out of all the members on this forum, there were only 2 that responded to the poster, and that was just basic information the op could've found on any forum provided the stickies listed all over this site had been read and studied prior. But I understand many live in the here and now, don't want to do legwork, afterall, it is much easier to just ask someone else. How unfortunate to make such an important and costly decision on the limited views/opinions of others.

But not to confuse asking about what different "foundation" dogs have thrown in temperment/working ability etc over the years, but choosing a breeder/puppy is a personal decision, while breeders pick puppies for buyers how on earth can one deduce forum members can pick thru a slew of dogs/breeders for a buyer having limited knowledge of the prospective buyer to begin with? Only thru meeting dogs/discussing dogs etc with different breeders, actually doing REAL research can one learn more about this breed.

As for Anne, she'll make her own decision as always. She puts a sincere effort to help people, it's a little daunting to hear about 28 people speaking in this manner, really, was this necessary? I understand threads such as these can get a little heated but it's the op's responsibility to make their own quest instead of just sitting back and watching all of this. I always find these threads useless, just pick up the phone people and maybe you will learn something, ask questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would go with someone else. Not all is what it seems. Some people are experts at fooling people from behind a computer screen. We got a pup from them and it had bad hips. She is fully aware, and chose to repeat that line. That is highly unethical considering ours was not the only litter mate to have hip dysplasia. I am sure she will comment on this and say I am making this up, but I can provide vet bills and x-rays. Also, we did not once ask for compensation or a replacement pup, nor sue as we were fully entitled to. We love our dog and are grateful he was picked by us as we are financially able to provide him the care he needs. It is not cheap, but we would rather him be with us than someone else who would neglect him. This breed is too special to be bred carelessly. The kennels you see in the videos are not shown in a full 360 view because on the other side of the 'heated floors' is a basically an open-air barn. They are exposed to all elements so the heated floors are not really effective. The dogs were also very skinny which was justified by saying it was because they were in heat. Feed them more! She tells you not to feed them anything with grain as the main ingredient, but what was she feeding them when we got ours? Purina!!! Breaks my heart for this breed.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Vom Kaiser Wappen in MO?
Took a look at their website...and I don't see anything about health clearances. I then went to the OFA site www.offa.org and put in the breeding dogs registered names...and again..nothing found. All breeding dogs should have clearances for hips, elbows,eyes and heart...and all verified on the OFA website. I see nothing. I also see no titles either conformation, or working titles on the dogs he is breeding. Looks like they got their hands on some dogs that had titled relatives...and is breeding his own dog without anything. ) : Just because a dogs pedigree has some titled dogs...does not mean that they produce quality dogs. To me it looks like the only thing they do with their own dogs is breed them.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forums. Can anyone provide any information in regards to Gauldin's Rottweilers. Thank you
No decent, COE breeder sells puppies on Nexday Pets. A good breeder will have a website, with their dog's registered names, pictures (usually win pictures) and their accomplishments, and the health scores. All health certs should be verified on the OFA website by inputting the dog's registered name. www.offa.org Good breeders have a waiting list of buyers before they breed....they don't need to advertise. They show their dogs, and are active in the dog world …...and word gets around.

This is a BYB, that does nothing with their dogs...but breed them. ): AKC registered does not mean quality.... When you see BYB's touting "German Rottweilers"...you know it's another selling ploy. Unless the pup was born in Germany, or the sire and dam are from Germany....they are just Rottweilers.

Just another BYB....peddling puppies.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts