Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

<h2 class=" nolinks">It’s about time! More states are requiring animal abusers to register as animal offenders, and we couldn’t be more pleased.</h2>

Tennessee has an animal offenders registry that requires animal abusers to register in a similar fashion to how sex offenders are registered once convicted, following the likes of ones in New York and Florida and even European countries.

Related: Logan’s Law Will Mandate Animal Abusers Registry, Tougher Penalties

Now several jurisdictions across the United States have introduced animal offender registries, and these registries allow the public to know about animal abusers in their area. Right now, Tennessee is the only state that has a registry, but smaller localities like New York City and Cook County in Illinois have them, with other counties and states in the country following suit.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) monitors the Tennessee registry and anyone can access information at the TBI or offices in any county of Tennessee. The information the on the registry details an abuser’s name, birthday, offense, conviction date and date that their conviction expires. Pet shops and breeders will be able to use this information to better serve their pets and to ensure their safety when moving to new homes.

Animal abusers who are convicted for the first time must register for two years and they will receive an additional five years in the registry every time they are convicted of subsequent offenses.

To register, convicted users will have to pay a $50 registration fine, and abusers 18 and older have to supply a picture and any aliases they may have. Failure to register, may mean a year in prison and a fine up to $1,000.

Related: Doctors Say Pet Abuse Should Raise Red Flags About Domestic Violence

Convicted abusers will be made to pay a $50 registration fine. All abusers 18 or older must supply a recent photo as well as any aliases they go by. If you fail to register, you’ll face a year in prison and a fine of up to $1,000.

The model in Tennessee is based on one in Suffolk County, New York. Suffolk County is in the eastern part of Long Island, and was the first principality in the country to develop a registry for animal offenders. John Cooper, Suffolk County Legislator says that research shows a strong correlation between those who abuse animals and those who participate in domestic violence. Evidence also shows that almost every serial killer at one time tortured animals, so he hopes that lives could possibly be saved by identifying and cataloging those who may end up being eventual abusers of humans.

~Petguide.com

·
Registered
651 Posts
It's about time they all did that. It's also important that places that serve as shelters for domestic abuse victims also take in their pets. Many time victims of domestic abuse can't leave because they can't leave a pet behind. There is a charity that started in Las Vegas that addresses that situation and serves as a place for not just human domestic violence victims but their animals as well. Honestly, society needs to understand that when people have pets, they are family members to them. Certain evacuation centers are starting to make arrangements so when they evacuate people they let them bring their pets with them. Some people wouldn't leave flood areas or other dangerous conditions if they couldn't bring their pets. I can't blame them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I agree all states should have a database like for sex offenders. It could prevent the abusers from adopting from city or county shelters, or maybe anyone with animals for adoption or sale could access the database and background check for that.

I see a lot of what I consider abuse around here. Especially dogs tethered in backyards. We get more than our share of dumped dogs too. I hate to see it and I know when I see a dog looking lost and afraid, someone just threw it out the car.

I know there are some people who are just ignorant in how to care for pets or don't look at them as part of the family, but as something to stick in the back yard to deter criminals. I've also heard about the connection between animal torture and serial killers/psychopathic behavior--very scary.

I've just always hoped that there is a special place in hell for people who abuse innocent animals.

·
Registered
651 Posts
There is one of the most wonderful charities called Fences for Fido... I swear if I ever hit the lottery I'd send them a stipend every month. Their mission is to create fenced yards for those dogs that are chained up outside. They take the money donated to pay for the fences and donated labor to put them up. They have some of the most amazing tearjerking videos of poor dogs who have been chained up their entire lives getting their freedom to run around their own yards on their website. They say that some people have been raised with dogs this way and think it's natural, and part of their mission is to enlighten people that it's inhumane to chain a dog up day and night. Here is their link:

https://www.fencesforfido.org/our-dogs/fido-videos

I do believe there are two branches of this charity, one in the southern states and one in the Oregon/Washington area. Bless their hearts, every one.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've had that same wish for years too--wishing for a windfall so I'd be able to give it away to help dogs have proper fenced yards and not be chained up. Another organization I saw on a TV series if the Guardians on Animal Planet. They are in the north: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania. They help all kinds of animals. There was one episode that had a Rottweiler named Jasper. He was the sweetest boy. I hope they return for season 2. It is the most wonderful thing to see how a dog who has been chained his whole life be set free to enjoy his new fenced area. I cried during every episode.

https://guardiansofrescue.org/

·
Registered
485 Posts
There is one of the most wonderful charities called Fences for Fido... I swear if I ever hit the lottery I'd send them a stipend every month. Their mission is to create fenced yards for those dogs that are chained up outside. They take the money donated to pay for the fences and donated labor to put them up. They have some of the most amazing tearjerking videos of poor dogs who have been chained up their entire lives getting their freedom to run around their own yards on their website. They say that some people have been raised with dogs this way and think it's natural, and part of their mission is to enlighten people that it's inhumane to chain a dog up day and night. Here is their link:

https://www.fencesforfido.org/our-dogs/fido-videos

I do believe there are two branches of this charity, one in the southern states and one in the Oregon/Washington area. Bless their hearts, every one.
Can't stop watching the fences for fido videos! and crying my eyes out watching the dogs running around free and happy in their new fenced yards.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Can't stop watching the fences for fido videos! and crying my eyes out watching the dogs running around free and happy in their new fenced yards.
Sorry about that.... I did that too.... it's such an amazing charity... and one where you actually can see your donation at work.... it's a beautiful thing to get those dogs off of chains. How people can own and treat their dogs like that and think it's normal is incredibly sad.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sorry about that.... I did that too.... it's such an amazing charity... and one where you actually can see your donation at work.... it's a beautiful thing to get those dogs off of chains. How people can own and treat their dogs like that and think it's normal is incredibly sad.
Oh no apology necessary. I love a good "happy" cry at something heartwarming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts