Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy just doesnt know he can jump. At the park dogs get up on the picnic tables and he wonders. I have to hoist his 90 carcass in and out of the sedan. Does anyone know how to teach a dog to jump?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
put a 2 inch wide stick and have him jump over it.Say over or up.when he does go over it make a big deal out of it Yah!!!!.Make the jump wider .He will get it.Make sure to always make a big deal out of everything your dog does right.Make them want to please you.

Donna

·
Registered
387 Posts
I trained Dallas to jump with treats. She loves to ride in our truck. But she would not jump up in the back. I was having to pick her up to do it. I would put a doggie treat in the front of the bed and if she really wanted to ride and a treat i knew she would get in. Now i can't keep her out of the truck. No treat needed. (She is tide in so she can't jump out or hang herself) She loves to ride to the vets and a friend of mines house. (she gets treats there to) But if you are just wanting her to jump over things Rutylr idea would be best. Shell

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
This will also help with training to jump up.Start small.This is a big breed and can hurt them selves jumping if not done properly.

Donna

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Well my boy doesnt jump and thats just OK with me. I used to have to pick him up too, But ever since he jumped out of the back of a pick-up truck ( chipped his tooth ) that was the end of the jumping ... Now he jumps no further then his (my) bed ...

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
My dogs are not trained to jump until after they are two years old and have had their hips x-rayed.Then we start the jumping training.In UKC obed the dog must jump over a jump on the recall.

Donna

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.