Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am not a new Rott owner , I've had 3 Rott before this one although not in awhile. My other Rotts hated our cat and one of them finally hurt him so bad that he died. The other ones used to kill the barn cats. I was very concerned when we got our puppy that we have another cat hater.
Gus is 9 months old and about 90 lbs or so. I think he wants to play with my older cat but he's too rough. Yesterday Gus hurt my cat Wilbur, I heard him scream and he ran off. We looked every where for him and we finally found him this morning. He's hurt for sure so Im taking him to the vet but this has got to stop! I fear he's going to kill him. Im at my wits end. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks for listening

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat Wilbur. I have found that about the only way you can get a Rottweiler to ignore or leave a cat alone is to have them grow up together....a young kitten and a pup. For now because you have an elderly cat, and a older pup....you are going to have to do more training with the pup. Teach a good "leave it" command. You also will have to make some safe areas for your cat. Some people use baby gates so the cat can slip under, but the dog will not go over. Some people relegate their cat to the upstairs floor...and do not allow their dog up there...or the basement. Using closed doors or baby gates.
Now that Gus has actually hurt the cat....he may not want to give up and is chasing him down like prey. You need to really change things around in your home to save the cat. Step up training (you may want to try using an e-collar)...make sure some one that has used one shows you how to use it....and make the environment safe for the cat.

Having a trainer come into the house for some pointers with Gus's training may also help.
Hope your cat is not hurt bad and the vet visit goes well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am not a new Rott owner , I've had 3 Rott before this one although not in awhile. My other Rotts hated our cat and one of them finally hurt him so bad that he died. The other ones used to kill the barn cats. I was very concerned when we got our puppy that we have another cat hater.
Gus is 9 months old and about 90 lbs or so. I think he wants to play with my older cat but he's too rough. Yesterday Gus hurt my cat Wilbur, I heard him scream and he ran off. We looked every where for him and we finally found him this morning. He's hurt for sure so Im taking him to the vet but this has got to stop! I fear he's going to kill him. Im at my wits end. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks for listening
I have several cats and none of my Rottweilers ever attacked them. I didn’t think it was a breed that goes after small animals. My last girl grew up with kittens and the mama cat taught her to leave them alone. I have to admit though I’ve been hesitant to get another dog because I don’t want the dog to hurt my cats. You should be able to train the dog not to fight with the cats but I was told that once they killed and “got a taste for blood” they will do it again, no matter what the breed is. That may be a myth.

You have to really let Gus know that Wilbur is family and not prey. get a trainer involved if you need to. Hope Wilbur is okay. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Rottweilers do have strong prey drive! They will run and chase things that may look like prey to them. Often it can be a bicycle, or skate board, or squirrel or a cat running. Some have higher drive then others. It often depends on the dog, and the pedigree and lineage.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Rottweilers do have strong prey drive! They will run and chase things that may look like prey to them. Often it can be a bicycle, or skate board, or squirrel or a cat running. Some have higher drive then others. It often depends on the dog, and the pedigree and lineage.
Now that you mention it, my Rocky sure gave the bicycles a hard time when they passed by the house. Guess I didn't realize it was instinctual. He never harmed any of the cats, even newborn kittens. He actually scared the heck out of us when he picked one up in his mouth and helped the mama move her babies. Sure miss my dogs. They've all passed now.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I really had to train Mocha hard to not go after bikes that passed by us while we were doing walks. But eventually she learned and it wasn't a problem anymore thankfully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts