Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In April I adopterd a 4 mo old Rottie male from one of the local Humane Societies, who almost didn't give him to me because when they did his temperment testing he showed signs of food aggression and I have a six year old daughter at home, but since getting him home he has showed no signs of aggression regardless of how we 'bug' him when he's eating, I can even take away forbidden things right out of his mouth with no fuss from him. He has proven to be a darling dog with a extreme fondness for kids, especially little girls. We go to the bus stop every morning to take my daughter to school and he can't wait to get there so all the kids can dote on him. I've been using him to teach the children in the neighborhood that a dogs behavior depends on how you train them, and that there are lots of fun things like backpacking you can train a dog to do.

From what I can tell he had a rough puppy hood before, he has a small scar on one side of his muzzle, and a 6 inch long ropy scar on the back of his head, both are fully healed even though the Humane society had only had him for 6 days before we met him so whaterver happened must have been when he was very young, but you'd never know it from his attitude.

He's a very big boy although I'm not sure right now of his height or weight as we've been helping him reach a healthy weight because he was a bit too thin when we got him. I wasn't sure when we first saw him if getting a rottie rescue was a good idea, but now I wouldn't trade him for any other.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hi there ...
. THANK YOU for taking a rescue. I have two myself and they are great dogs and one of them was really abused. I had another that I lost to cancer who really had some issues and probably never should have been adopted out but he turned into the best dog I could ever ask for. Glad to have you with us !!! Post a picture when you can

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
2bad said:
Hi there ...
. THANK YOU for taking a rescue. I have two myself and they are great dogs and one of them was really abused.
Everything he said .....

Welcome to rottweilers on line .....

I have rescued a few .. and have both kinds presantly living here ..
X2

You will never regret rescue'ing a rottweiler .... they are VERY loving

its nice that you bring him around kids .... My boy LOVES lil girls too

Well Thanks again for helping a homeless ROTTWELER

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi CamieRose, Welcome to the group ! I also have rescued . It's the greatest ! I have 3 Rotties ..Kitty is 5 yrs olds ...and the terrible twins as I call them ..Apollo and Rhea are 19 months old and are siblings. Glad to have you here ..lots of info on how to handle a new baby and a rescue .

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good on you for taking a rescue!!!!

Like the others said it is the best thing you could do and you will never regret it.

Dogs are more itelligent than people give them credit, they know when they have been rescued and they will love you till the day they die for giving them a new life

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi there! I'm in MD too, and my present girl came from the PG County shelter, dumped by her owners, pedigrees, papers and all [didn't get that but they did get it from owners]. It's amazing the nice dogs that idiots dump into shelters or rescue. Not every dog in rescue is a BYB dog either, though undoubtedly, most are from less than stellar breeders. Even so, they're still fantastic dogs and rescuing is a very decent, wonderful thing to do. I advocate it all the time too.

If you're ever in need of a Rottn friend in Maryland, we visit the Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis on nice weekends, for the dog beach there. The park itself is stunningly gorgeous and dog friendly. Not the typical 'running amok' dog park, this one actually seems to draw crowd of decent, watchful owners. The dogs love the water, right on the South River at the Bay. I highly recommend it for family picnics, outings and doggy fun. They have free summer concerts there too, and dogs are welcome. Can't get better than that in MD!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Volvo, we have been to Quiet Waters once though not the beach since he was still healing from his neutering. My friends visit it often with their Golden Retriever though. I live close to the PG shelter so we looked there, but the only Rottie they had at the time was sullen and withdrawn as well as already full grown, we really wanted one we'd have time to train before it reached it's full size so we wnet to the Humane Shelter in DC, no papers for him, but they at least knew his birth date.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Congrads on your rescue. I hope you all have a wonderful life together.
And if I forgot to welcome you then... WELCOME

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi again, CamieRose, yes, the shelters can be hit or miss. I keep in mind that many rescue orgs get their dogs from them however. When I was 1st there, they had a huge male, a young guy, who was the biggest wiggle bug, and I was SOOO tempted to take him too. But I decided on one only at the time. FWIW, I can do a temperament eval myself, so I'm feeling fairly certain when I see/interact with a dog if it's going to be a good candidate or not. Food drive is a big indicator. The PG shelter tends to get a lot of Rotties and PBs, sad to say.

Keep in mind that a Rottie at a shelter is always going to be stressed out and the breed itself isn't usually a super outgoing one with strangers. Mine was very food motivated on first visit, but not all kissy face. That turned out to be due to severe kennel cough. That said, it took her about 6 weeks to emerge to her "true" self, which as it turned out, included being a kissy face. Well, with her family and babies [she really likes babies]. Adult strangers, never. So I'm glad my 1st impression was accurate.

Here's her Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=90255&j=t

Top photo was taken about 5 weeks ago. She's just about 6 now [Sept. 2000 bday]. Still quite radically prey driven, about zero defense and lotsa into her food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts