Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 11 month old intact male Rottweiler, and at this age I would expect him to at least show signs of confidence. I see nothing from him, I have to force him to work, at the bare minimum he doesn’t even seem to even show force at all. It’s really disappointing, you would think at this age especially because he’s intact, he would have some type of spark in him, but he’s too passive. You could say it’s age, but I don’t think so. His parents were alarmingly chill, and since he was a pup he didn’t have the usual puppy crazy’s. I know this would be a perfect dog for anyone else, but for me it’s not the best. I’m a young guy, and I needed a dog to match my work ethic, and I expected this pup to be the same. He’s a pup still I know, but at this age you should be at least seeing signs, and I haven’t seen any. I would be really worried if at 18 months he’s still passive, but I digress. Any opinions from some of you breeders and Rottweiler aficionados?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello, I have a 11 month old intact male Rottweiler, and at this age I would expect him to at least show signs of confidence. I see nothing from him, I have to force him to work, at the bare minimum he doesn’t even seem to even show force at all. It’s really disappointing, you would think at this age especially because he’s intact, he would have some type of spark in him, but he’s too passive. You could say it’s age, but I don’t think so. His parents were alarmingly chill, and since he was a pup he didn’t have the usual puppy crazy’s. I know this would be a perfect dog for anyone else, but for me it’s not the best. I’m a young guy, and I needed a dog to match my work ethic, and I expected this pup to be the same. He’s a pup still I know, but at this age you should be at least seeing signs, and I haven’t seen any. I would be really worried if at 18 months he’s still passive, but I digress. Any opinions from some of you breeders and Rottweiler aficionados?
What do you mean by "force him to work" and "he doesn't seem to show force"? Are you wanting him to be a working protection or Schutzhund dog?

Seems like he has understandably taken his temperament from the parents maybe.. which sounds good to me!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by "force him to work" and "he doesn't seem to show force"? Are you wanting him to be a working protection or Schutzhund dog?

Seems like he has understandably taken his temperament from the parents maybe.. which sounds good to me!
Yes, I want to put him into guard training, but if he has no drive, it would be useless and a waste of money.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Not sure what guard training is?? Rottweilers are naturally protective. You still have a puppy....he should not be showing protection yet. Would you think a 12 year old child would be as brave as a 30 year old man???? Let the pup grow up and mature....and make him confident and socialize him. This way he will know what is suspicious . If you wanted a dog to be protective you should have bought from a breeder that has dogs being used for protection or titled in the protective sports such as Schutzhund. If both sire and dam were even tempered, and not used for protection...then I would assume the pups will be chill too.

I'm afraid you are asking too much of your pup. Do you have dog training club that you can take him to? German Shepherd people should know about sport clubs, and there you can have him assessed. I would much rather have a nice easy going Rottweiler....just their presence will keep most bad people away...then some suspicious dog, attacking everything that moves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what guard training is?? Rottweilers are naturally protective. You still have a puppy....he should not be showing protection yet. Would you think a 12 year old child would be as brave as a 30 year old man???? Let the pup grow up and mature....and make him confident and socialize him. This way he will know what is suspicious . If you wanted a dog to be protective you should have bought from a breeder that has dogs being used for protection or titled in the protective sports such as Schutzhund. If both sire and dam were even tempered, and not used for protection...then I would assume the pups will be chill too.

I'm afraid you are asking too much of your pup. Do you have dog training club that you can take him to? German Shepherd people should know about sport clubs, and there you can have him assessed. I would much rather have a nice easy going Rottweiler....just their presence will keep most bad people away...then some suspicious dog, attacking everything that moves.
Thank you for the reply, but you can train any dog in those programs if they have the drive to, but he doesn’t. And I wouldn’t say I’m asking too much of him, he’s coming up on a year old, so I’m afraid of his confidence, it won’t be too long before 18 months which would be very worrying. I’m not saying he’s a bad dog, he’s fantastic. But his temperament is really not what I expected, he’s way to laid back. I mean everyone and everything is a potential friend to him. He would be perfect for an owner that wants a intimidating dog without the hassle of socializing him.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Again he’s has excellent temperament, gets along with kids and new people, and dogs fine. He’s the perfect dog for most people. He just doesn’t have drive at all. No drive to work, no drive guard, no drive of testosterone it seems. Even though he’s intact. I love him he’s a good dog, but for what I need, he isn’t there. And I don’t think he’ll get there from the temperaments of his parents.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Again he’s has excellent temperament, gets along with kids and new people, and dogs fine. He’s the perfect dog for most people. He just doesn’t have drive at all. No drive to work, no drive guard, no drive of testosterone it seems. Even though he’s intact. I love him he’s a good dog, but for what I need, he isn’t there. And I don’t think he’ll get there from the temperaments of his parents.
I have just been reading some of your past posts. You mentioned you got him from a friend that bred his AKC dogs, then you want to know if your dog looks like a German Rottweiler, then you mention that your 11 month old intact dog is sniffing females...and now you are saying he has no testosterone because he has no guard drive.:confused:

I may be wrong...but it seems to me...you got this pup from a BYB...that bred his dogs with easy chill temperament. I assume that the sire and dam are not titled?? Now you wonder why your pup is not wanting to work, or guard???? You cannot make a silk purse from a sows ear. If you wanted a drivey, working dog...you look for a breeder that does this with their own dog and has working titles to prove it.

If he's not the dog you want...then find him a good home....and start looking for working Rottweiler breeders...breeders that do something with their dogs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have just been reading some of your past posts. You mentioned you got him from a friend that bred his AKC dogs, then you want to know if your dog looks like a German Rottweiler, then you mention that your 11 month old intact dog is sniffing females...and now you are saying he has no testosterone because he has no guard drive.:confused:

I may be wrong...but it seems to me...you got this pup from a BYB...that bred his dogs with easy chill temperament. I assume that the sire and dam are not titled?? Now you wonder why your pup is not wanting to work, or guard???? You cannot make a silk purse from a sows ear. If you wanted a drivey, working dog...you look for a breeder that does this with their own dog and has working titles to prove it.

If he's not the dog you want...then find him a good home....and start looking for working Rottweiler breeders...breeders that do something with their dogs.
Mind you it was a breeding between two registered dogs, that were my friends. they just happened to be even tempered. Which is perfect for any family, he sold his puppies very quickly because of the temper. Which is what most breeders go for, am I right. It was my first Rottweiler, so I just expected them to come out the gate ready to work, no matter what the parents are like. That can turn that switch so to speak. But sadly not for him. I can’t reiterate this enough he’s a good dog, a clean specimen, perfect for a first time owner, to an experienced older owner who wants a relaxed young stud. But the way he acts isn’t for me, I’m young and active, I need my dog to be as well. I like to train, I have the time, I like to work, I want to give my dog the stamina to last long hours, in any weather conditions or terrain. I might have gotten the wrong type of dog, I guess I really do need a working dog with drive, and tenacity.

Sorry I might get this message twice on the thread the moderator supposedly has to approve it.

I might have to take you up on that offer, I’ve been looking at the famed Dogo Argentino. Seems to have all the characteristics I need in a pup. Most likely imported hunting lines. The Rottweiler is a beautiful breed, but it seems to be hit or miss now a days. Especially with AKC Rottweilers, you gotta go with the imports for tenacity.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow, I agree he sure has the wrong dog. I hope he doesn't make him a mean Rotti. He sounds like a dog most of us would want to have.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Registered dogs does not mean quality...just that they have AKC papers. Also, something I should have mentioned. You say your dog is chilled and relaxed...does he ever seem stiff or slow getting up after laying down?? Does he seems too easy going? Dogs with hip dysplasia often seem too layed back and easy going....also Rottweilers are prone to genetic heart problems...that could also be another reason that he is so easy going and does not have stamina.

Honestly I would be looking at another breed. Rottweilers do like to exercise...but as a breed are way more layed back then a German Shepherd. They will not last long hours out in any conditions or terrain. They for sure cannot be out in hot humid weather....expecting to work for a long time...it will kill them. I think you have the wrong breed. A Malinois sounds like something you need.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am not sure I'd recommend a Malinois to a novice dog owner. Or a Dogo Argentino for that matter. I've been around Dogo/Presa dogs when doing threat training with my female German Shepherd and those are not easy dogs to handle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not sure I'd recommend a Malinois to a novice dog owner. Or a Dogo Argentino for that matter. I've been around Dogo/Presa dogs when doing threat training with my female German Shepherd and those are not easy dogs to handle.
I have handled unruly dogs before, I have a strong hand, and a strong voice. I don’t take disobedience, and I have time to work with those types of dogs. Because In the end what causes unruly dogs is lack of attention and time to the dog. Which that did pup won’t be lacking.

·
Registered
384 Posts
An unruly dog is not the same thing as a high-drive dog with potential for innate handler aggression and fight drive.

Perhaps I just got the impression from you thinking getting a Rottweiler from 'registered parents' was enough to guarantee you a dog that would be a good guard dog was a sign you don't know much about working dogs and how to assess, purchase, and train one. If that's not the case, my bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An unruly dog is not the same thing as a high-drive dog with potential for innate handler aggression and fight drive.

Perhaps I just got the impression from you thinking getting a Rottweiler from 'registered parents' was enough to guarantee you a dog that would be a good guard dog was a sign you don't know much about working dogs and how to assess, purchase, and train one. If that's not the case, my bad.
My thought was Rottweilers naturally would have a drive to guard, even at a young age. I was horrendously mistaken. So I’ve decided to look into high drive hunting line Dogo Argentinos. I need a challenge, that’s how I’ve always lived my life, and a dog that needs work is like a magnificent project for me. But the breeder I’m currently talking to has pedigree hunting line Dogo Argentino imports, with excellent drive and excellent temperaments. And some of the best structure I’ve ever seen on dogs. I guess you could say it’s the best of both world's

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Slow down and learn! You are going from a BYB produced Rottweiler to a Dogo. This breeder of the Dogo, may be all talk. What has he/she done with their dogs?? What do you know about structure?? Are you planning on hunting with this dog? What do you know about drive and temperament for Dogos, except what this breeder has told you??
Dogs should not be a challenge!! They should be your companions and friends. Please educate yourself on the Dogo breed. Go meet some from different breeders....not just this one you've seen on-line.

I feel sorry for your pup....not good enough for you. 😕

Reactions: Agis

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you are looking for a working dog I would definitely make sure of the line and the titling and the effort that goes into Breeding for that sort of temperament. Perhaps you should look into getting a pre-trained guarding or working dog and then acclimate it to your life? Guard dogs and any dog with more than very basic obedience training need to continue their training at least yearly in my opinion. It would still be a challenge if you got a dog that was pre-trained and you would be safe in the knowledge that their temperament is what you were looking for. There are many programs that offer these animals and there are military and government service dogs that are always available for adoption if you do not have young children in your home.
i have a 17 month old intact rotti. He has a sweet temperament, he does not guard, he does not protect, anyone he sees is a potential best friend, and he will do anything to get belly rubs from someone and he hates to work. Instead of being disappointed in this sweet loving dog (although we also were hoping for more Gaurd dog abilities) we took the opportunity to switch our training and mentality from guard dog to Therapy dog. If you love your dog and want to keep him but still want a challenge- recognize that he has different strengths, discover how to activate His drive to work, and train to those strengths. You could get him his therapy dog certification and start taking him around to places that could use a big loving dog to hug. VAs. Fire stations, funeral parlors, schools etc. Maybe you’ll find that Training a dog to obey perfectly, and to calmly and quietly take pain away from people offers you an intense challenge on a different level.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I want to put him into guard training, but if he has no drive, it would be useless and a waste of money.
Why guard training. What makes you a capable owner to own such a dog. You want your dog to show anxiety so that he responds with aggression? If is parents are chill why did you pick him? I have more questions but others, including BBD I’m sure!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it’s perfectly acceptable to want a guard dog. You don’t have to be any specific type of person to want a well-trained guard dog and Rottweilers are seemingly an appropriate breed for this type of training. However unlike what most of the movies and TV tell us, Rottweilers are a particularly lazy breed and lean much more towards lovers than fighters. They look the part, but more often than not they are more interested in their own pleasure than pleasing an owner in training. If you’re looking for a good guard dog, German Shepherds Are much more suited towards the work and training that guard training entails. While you don’t get as much of an intimidation factor in looks, the obedience finesse and drive are pretty unmatched.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It's not unacceptable to want a guard dog, but it comes with certain responsibilities, including training and controlling the dog, being accepting of liability if the dog hurts someone (or worse), particularly if it shouldn't have (I do not know all the ins and outs of this in the US in terms of liability).

I really don't think anyone who just expects a dog of any breed to perform a certain behaviour without looking into the lines/breeding/working ability of the dogs the pup is descended from is in a position to do that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts