Rottweilers Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
and yet. today even on the prong collar, he lunged and disregarded the collar. I don't have the effort for this. it is my fault. I used to have a network for rotties. I dont anymore. I have to give him away. that hurts.

·
Super Moderator
1,930 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Where is the collar placed? It needs to be firmly on and just below the ears. You cannot expect a new dog to be perfect....it does not work that way. There's lots of hard work for you and him ahead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have it exactly placed. It's just below his ears, high on his neck. He simply will go after another dog, no matter what I do. I have chosen to walk him at any odd hours where there will not be other dogs. If there is one, we will about face. Again, this is not my first rottie, nor my first male. I have just never had one be this protective.

·
Super Moderator
1,930 Posts
Almost all the Rottweilers that I have owned....could be dog aggressive. It's part of the breed standard. You have to teach him to ignore other dogs and the video shows what to do quite well. About face is good, and teaching a good "leave it" command will help. You've not had the dog long...this type of training takes time. Just because you walk him on a prong does not mean that it will teach him not to go after a dog. It will help you control him. You have to be able to read his body language...once he's riled up...is not the time to try to stop his behavior.

I really think you need a trainer that has some experience with working breeds that can help you. He is also not being protective...he's just being a jerk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Also, he is now scared of me taking him on a walk because I leash him on the prong collar. Our walks are not "lets walk' they are now forced walks where he is afraid. I AM AFRAID. I cannot trust him even on a prong collar to not go after another dog. He does every SINGLE time. I have NEVER had a Rottie that was this way. He will snore at my feet, lean on me, loves every human he sees, but is so aggressive to other dogs, IDK what to do. I have taken all of your advice to heart, but I literally cant have my rottie trying to attack every dog he sees.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Almost all the Rottweilers that I have owned....could be dog aggressive. It's part of the breed standard. You have to teach him to ignore other dogs and the video shows what to do quite well. About face is good, and teaching a good "leave it" command will help. You've not had the dog long...this type of training takes time. Just because you walk him on a prong does not mean that it will teach him not to go after a dog. It will help you control him. You have to be able to read his body language...once he's riled up...is not the time to try to stop his behavior.

I really think you need a trainer that has some experience with working breeds that can help you. He is also not being protective...he's just being a jerk.
i understant this. i understand the time it takes to rehab an abused rottie. you aren't hearing me. time is not the problem, straight out dog agression is. I live in a very dog friendly city. We cannot go for a walk without there being other dogs. Harley will go after them regardless of his prong collar or any commands. I very much understand the breed standard. You're getting fairly insulting with insinutating that I don't understand simple ideas with a rottie. I asked for help here with an agressive rottie that I can't control according to my history with the breed. One last time. I have had agressive/dominant rotties many times. I have never had to even try a prong collar. I have corrected every behavior with positive reinforcemnt. Harley ignores positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement when it comes to most other dogs. This is not a question of how long I am his current owner. He had 2 before me. I have to both correct his prior learning and give him a new mindset. I asked for help on here to correct that mindset, not to be insulted as if I was a first time dog owner.

·
Super Moderator
1,930 Posts
I'm hearing you!!! I think you are over your head with this dog. Either get some hands on professional help with the dog...a trainer that has experience with dog aggression or return him to the shelter where you adopted him. It's not fair to the dog or you. This is not something that can be solved on the internet.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.