Rottweilers Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know Ihave recently adopted a 7 month old Rottweiler, Rio (my third time owning this breed),from a family who had to get rid of himbecause of the landlord not allowing them to have a dog. He was raised with a baby, 4 yr old and 7 yr old. When I meet him I used your techniques to establish my presence to a point but he came up to me wanting to play and be loved. Heisa very sweet and loving pup. He lives in the house with us but also is put in his dog pen or on the front porch if I have to run into town.After having him for a week or soI started discovering issues. He was scared to death of everything, dogs, unfamiliarpeople, his reflection, new objects. This was the first timeI had experience afearful Rottie. So I begantaking him out into the public,working withhim, having him deal with the situations. Redirecting his attention. Giving strangers treats to give him so he would associate a positive thing with strangers. Introducing him to others dogs, teaching him how to be a dog, to sniff and be snifft (if that's a word) Enrolled in 2 month obedience class for the socialization factor. Another issue arose some weeks later, he showed aggression towards my husband over a raw hidechew. We address that issue with having my husband work with him to establish his alpha position.He seems to becoming along.He is now 11 months old.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>A fewmore problems haverisen there ugly heads and I do notknow how to deal with them. That is why a write today for some advice. First issue, Iwent out of town for a couple of daysand Rio went to my sister's house, she hastwo dogs and they all get along just great. He was tiedout in the yard and had found a bone or chew, my sisters husband went outside and Rio started to growl at him. So my sister took control of the situation.She went outside went up to him, told him "no" and "drop it" and he dropped the bone out of his mouth with no problem.Second issue, Rio was outside tiedon the front porch, my step son and his wifewhom he has meet twice before came to pick up their son. As soon as they approached the house Rio growled and gave a warning bark, I immediately went out and corrected him by telling him "SHHH".He immediately backed down, they approached him, he sniffed them and was fine. Next situation, on the porch again, I had run into town and a neighbor came to return a dish. Rio had meet her a couple of times and really likes her and she him. As she approached his hair stood up, he showed his teeth. She said"Hi Rio" andtalked to him and approach slowly, as soon as she tried to ring the door bell he growled very viciously and his hair was standing up clear down his back to his tail. So she backed away. Being aware of this now, I ask my other neighbor,who he has meet numerous times on and off leash, to come over today while he was on the porch and told her to stand confident and correct him if he started to growl, while I hide in the garage. He growled a little and went around the corner and peeked back at them I told her through the window telling "SHH" as she stepped on to the porch he jumped out at her barking and then backed up against the doorstill growling and barking,I immediately came around the corner corrected him and took him off the lead and made him lay on his side in submission. As soon as I did that and let him up, he sniffed them and was fine, wanting to play. It scared me to seehow vicious he looked. My nieghbor said hes a great guard dog but I do not want a dog like this. Sorry about the novel. Does anyone have any advice.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanx</DIV>
<DIV>RW</DIV>

·
Registered
914 Posts
It's hard to say but I think as he's becoming more comfortable with you he's getting more protective and if your not there he wants to make sure no one is gonna get in your house or on your property. I'm sorry I'm not more help here but I haven't had that happen with mine so I don't really know what to say.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree with Missy. Rotts from what I have ready are very protective of there home. Max just turned 5 months old and I can tell you this. If you come into my yard without me,the wife or boy standing there, he's gonna get real upset with ya. If we are there he is very cool to everyone. Max is highly protective of his home. I did not teach him that. I am cool with the way he acts. Infact I love the way he is. People should not be coming in my yard when I'm not there.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
It seems to me that you are handling the situation very well , and doing the right thing to help correct the problen at hand . He's doing his job protecting his home . I have 4 rotts and nobody can aproach my homeeven instealth mode ! Only my family can and thats the way it should bebecause they are guard dogs ..... They are protectors of their land ..... You have to remenber he's still a puppy and still learning and everyday is a training day . Also he has been put in a situation of the 3 F's ... flight, fight , or freeze .... with your neighbor and he was doing just that ! First he was going to flight but couldn't so he went into fight cause he was cornered .....and a dog cornered will be aggresive or evenbite !!!! I'm the only one or a family member who lives here......thatcorrects my dogs not a friend not a neighbor nobody....... it wouldn't work anyway they would look at them and just chuckle in a rottie kind of way
.....good luck and let us know how he's doing .....

·
Registered
656 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

From the sounds of things your rott wasn't socialized outside of his previous family hence the fear of new things. The protectiveness you see in him of his territory is normal. Rotts are known to be very territorial, and will be suspicious of anyone they don't know coming into their yard-this can also include people you know that the rottie will accept with you there, but not tolerate while you are gone. His reasoning being he is supposed to protect his home, and he knows they don't live there, but if you show you are okay with them being there he will tolerate them WHILE YOU ARE THERE. He's just doing his job. My pup totally ignores people going by outside our fence and plays with his toys but just last night saw a shadow from the street light move in our yard when I took him out, and growled at it. Once I told him it was alright he was fine and played again, but when I went out later with him he did the same thing-he was doing his job, protecting his yard and he's only ten weeks old! He's in no way vicious, just doing what has been ingrained in him to do. The rawhide thing is another matter-keep working with him, but be aware that he may let you take the rawhide from him without complaint but strangers (this includes anyone who does not live at your house whether he knows them or not) doing this would probably be looked on as trying to steal from him. Good luck with your Rott!</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
First off he is on a chain.Most dog bite accure when a dog is chained(tied ).You are giving him a small space that is his own and telling him to guard it.It's his space and no one will be allowed in it.Thats what tieing up does or leaving a dog in a kennel to long.The only way to stop it is don't tie the dog.If you could get a kennel for your yard and leave him in there when you are not home.That way he will not be near the door.

All my dogs are in the house crated if I have to run any where.If a dog bites someone when you are not home you can still be held lieble and sued.

Donna

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<DIV>

That is the conclusion I have come to also that I shouldn't tie him. The only reason I did was that in the afternoon for a few hours his dog pen isn't in the shade, there is a dog house but it is much cooler in the front. I do occasionally crate him in his crate to it just the weather as been so nice.

One of my real questions with this whole thing is how do you correct a fearful rottie? How do you built there self-esteem where he isn't so scared of situations? Is that possible? If you correct him strongly when he is scared wont that make him associate a negative thing, thus making it worse? Did he miss the opportunity of socialization? Or is it just going to be more work now that he is older? I am open to all suggestions.

Thanx
RW </DIV>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
It is hard to say if your dog is fearful from his up bringing or if it is just the dog.Daphney was raised the right way socialized and training and she freaks out once in a while.loud noises spook her for a few seconds,fast movements also.It's just the way she is and no amount of working with her has helped she is almost 4 and I just know it will happen.

You should not correct a fearful dog but show how good things are.Take them places and reassure them.It could take alot of work or it might never get better.Like I said it's hard to tell without not seeing the dog.

Donna

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yeah as usaul Donna hit the nail on the head there with that one!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<DIV>

Get this. I had another friend help me. She has only meet him twice. This time he was in his pen/kennel and she drove up, parked, walk to the back yard up to his pen talking to him and he didn't do anything. She said he looked a little nervous at first but pretty much sad there and looked at her and the chickens. Is this a good sign?

RW</DIV>

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
YEP ....

IF thats what you want a ROTTWEILER that listens to EVERYONE ......

Please remember these are noble animals that are ONE owner dogs or if

raised properly are GREAT family dogs .... FAMILY maybe you have an

extened family ( only you know ) But in your first post i think you said

" maybe this is NOT the dog for me " you maybe RIGHT .... you can't

change a lepords spots ..... And a ROTTWEILER will NEVER be a

golden retreiver .... socislization is key to having a Rott you can trust

OFF LEASH ...... however there is only one ALPHA to a pack ...

and beleive it or not ROTTWEILERS have a pack mentality .....

" GOOD LUCK " training your Rottweiler ....

PS : just how many people feed him ?????? cause the more the better

if you want a passive , submissive GAURD DOG !!!!!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Having people come up to HIS pen is also not good.He might be a little fearful now,but wait til someone flinches just a bit to him.You might not see it but he will.and he will learn he can scare people while in the pen.Then it will only get worse.

My Zelda learned she could scare men(only men,not women or children)if she growled a little.It was a game she played with every man she met.If I had not had her and she started doing this,she could have bitten someone.

Do not put your dog in a confusing situation,they are guard dogs and to tell him not to guard when a strange walks up is not good.

Donna

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.