Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a terriable problem with Roxy trying to clip her nails. She has never been a fan of having this done, even as a pup, and as she is getting older & bigger its getting worse. This is what I have tried....any suggestions would be helpful

putting a muzzel on her....she nips & snarrles at you when you do this. having my sister try to clip while I distract or talk to her....lovey talk. have some one hold her down ......nothing seems to work.....Im lucky to get one nail done with out the jerking & pulling..she has never been hurt while clipping so that is not a reason for her actions....does anyone else have this problem? she is very well behaved & good natured any other time. Help!!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use a dremel. they aren't crazy about it, but tolerate it better than clippers. You might want to just start making an efforst to touch her feet all the time. When she's sitting quiet, just rub her feet. A lot dogs don't like their feet touched, and I think this helps.

Probably will take a while, but she should get better about it

Barb

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Lots of dogs don't like their feet touched.I start out when they are a week old.They way by the time they leave they are use to it.

Like Barb said try petting her feet when she is sleeping next to you,it will take a while and she might never get used to it.

You can ask your Vet if there is something you can give her to calm her down before tring to clip her nails.

Dooska fights pretty bad,she is getting better

We turn her upside down,I stradle her and hold her head,while Stephanie clips.It still takes a few more min.

Donna

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She will let you pet her feet & rub them ...its just the clipping that is a problem..she gets so anxious...trys pulling her paw away,jerking,crying & nipping, that im afraid of hurting her when she jurks & causing more anxioty. I hadnt thought of the stradleing. I thought about giving her a benadril...I had to give her this before for red ant bites ...It makes her sleepy & complacant.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Thank goodness my two girls are really good about trimming their nails , they just sit there... but if Kitty sees the nail trimmers she goes upstairs to bed ! so I hide them behind my backcall her over and start clipping
now Apollo is a trip he was good until he was about 8 months old then hestarted doingthe same thing as your pup does denini .Well shortly afterwards the problem got solved. How do you ask ? He started to jump and scratch at my privacy fence when he went out to bark at another dog or whatever and by him doing that I don't need to trim his nails he does it all by himself !!! If he didn't I think I would have to tranquilize him . My hubby has said he's going to scratch a hole in the fence and I said I don't care I'll replace it ! ( he doesn't do the nail trimming )Maybe you need a wooden privacy fence
it does the trick for Apollo !

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL....Now theres an idea...LOL...it really is only her front paws that tend to need clipping & for some reason the hind ones take care of them selves??? Well if nothing else Im glad she isnt the only bullheaded beast in the crowd.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
denini , all his nails are quite short he gets that fence with all 4 paws !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts