Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a big issue with trimming our Rottys nails. HE DOES NOT WANT TO HEAR IT!!!! He goes for walks regularly but it doesnt help. We've tried hand held motorized and non motorized files. The best we've been able to do was to see our vet for a prescription for Acepromazine to calm him enough to strap on a muzzle and hold him down and cut the nails. I do not think it is a good idea to continue using this method as I dont know what the long term affects of Acepromazine are and the unnecessary stress on him (its a wrestling match). The vet quoted a price of $250 to sedate and trim. Thats crazy. His nails grow like weeds and cutting the quick is unavoidable. Id be there every 3 weeks or so. Does anyone have ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
I adopted a rescue Rottweiler that was exactly the same. He HATED getting his nails cut. My son owned him first, and had to take him to the vet to be sedated, to have his nails cut. Holding him down caused blood vessels to burst in his eyeballs. It was terrible and stressful !! When their daughter was born....they could see Duncan was not going to be safe around the baby. We ended up taking Duncan into our home.

I knew that I was going to have to deal with his nails...and I was not going to sedate him to cut them. I started by tiring him out well...a long game of fetch and an off leash walk. I got things ready before starting. I put a muzzle on him that had the open end....got a long wooden spoon...and smeared it with peanut butter. Got hubby to hold the spoon in front of his nose while he was laying down...and started to clip. I think the first time I tried...I only cut two nails on one foot. A couple of days later...did it all over again, on the other foot. At this point I did not care how many nails I clipped...as long as he stayed focused on licking the peanut butter off of the spoon. It took a couple of months....but I did mange to cut all of his nails every couple of weeks at one sitting. He never loved it....but as soon as he saw me get the wooden spoon, and the clippers and muzzle...he would lay on his bed...and allow me to cut.

It's important to be very patient....be firm...if he starts wrestling and jiggling around...take a break....but don't quit because he's acting up..even if you only cut another nail. Talk to him and praise him when he's being good. I honestly never thought that I would ever be able to cut his nails....but was proud of him that he did allow it.

Also, very important to work with good equipment . What kind of nail clippers are you using? I find the large scissor type the best...and they must be sharp. Take off only a little...as the quick often grows long when nails are allowed to grow. The more often you trim back...the shorter the quick gets. Let us know how things go.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just want to add I have the Andis scissor type clippers and love them. Andis is one of the bigger name brands for various types of hair clippers:)

I haven't had to trim the Rottweiler yet, so the peanut butter on a spoon suggestion is a great one.

The Catahoula/Pit Bull grows long toe nails considering all the outdoor time he also gets. At least his nails are white so I can see the Quick Line:)

Anyway, I really like the Andis scissor clippers. I bought them at Chewy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I once accidentally cut the quick on one of Rainah's nails. It didn't bleed but I could tell it hurt her. The next time I tried cutting her nails she didn't like it at all! So I got some treats and trimmed only a couple of nails at a time, talking to her and praising her, and she did really good. However, I'm still really nervous about trimming her nails because I don't want to hurt her! I have the Safari trimmer that has a safety stop so that helps some but I'm always a little unsure how short to cut them. Can anyone give me some advice?

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
I once accidentally cut the quick on one of Rainah's nails. It didn't bleed but I could tell it hurt her. The next time I tried cutting her nails she didn't like it at all! So I got some treats and trimmed only a couple of nails at a time, talking to her and praising her, and she did really good. However, I'm still really nervous about trimming her nails because I don't want to hurt her! I have the Safari trimmer that has a safety stop so that helps some but I'm always a little unsure how short to cut them. Can anyone give me some advice?
The black nails do make it a bit more difficult to gage on how much to cut. The best thing to do is to cut just a little off...but do it more often...like once a week or 10 days. Also cut a little, then cut a tiny bit more if you think the nail might be a bit too long. Usually the more experienced you get the more you just know how much, or how little you should take off. I usually try to cut less...but them Dremel the nails after for my own dog. I board dogs for a living, and cut the boarding dogs nails for free while they are staying with me. So I do lots of nail clipping..lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts