Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok peeps here is our issue. We have a 7 month old Rottie and he is so adorable but the little cutie when tired bounces around the whole house and trying to nip at only me really. It starts off like he is talking to me and then the barking, growling starts and he frightens the living crap out of me. I have tried to distrace him with his toys. Ive even offered treats which he will take but then start all over again. Im really stressed over this. Our neighbour said that he is trying to dominate me but im seriously stressed by him and I adore him. But if I cant handle him and have some control at 7 months what will it be like at 1 year or 2 years. Please any advice is greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! It does sound to me that he is acting like a brat...because he can. How much training does he get per day? Has he been to any formal obedience classes? I would get signed up for a class ASAP! If you cannot find a class...see if you can get a positive obedience trainer over to your place for a few lessons. It's probably you that needs the lessons more than your pup. A trainer can have eyes on you to see where you are going wrong with your relationship with your pup.

At 7 months of age...he is probably around 70 lbs of dog. He is strong, and he has big teeth. Forget about trying to distract him from biting. That's for young puppies. He is way too old, and strong now for the distraction stuff. He needs to know that you are in charge and will not put up with that nonsense! If you feel that you can without being frightened...keep a leash on your pup even in the house. If he starts the nipping, growling crap....just give him a serious pop on the leash...and in a big deep growly voice say "NOOOOOOO". That should get his attention. If he keeps doing that...either put him in his crate...or leave the room and slam the door in his face if he is trying to follow you.

He needs to understand that you will not be putting up with this nonsense anymore. Look up NILIF and start implementing it into his life everyday. You tell him to jump and he says "how high?". You need to be a leader and be fair and firm with him....or he may decide one day that he is running the show. That often ends up with the dog dying. :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds very similar to our 7 month olds behaviour when out a walk on leash. A couple of times he tried to instigate play like that by jumping and nipping and got a strong correction as BBD describes. Don't stress and remember he is still just a dog - you are the boss despite what his adolescent rebelliousness thinks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can't let him choose when to play but a preemptive obedience session or tug of war might help.. just don't reward him with games or treats for behaving badly! Treats when he calms down and plays nice..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank ye so much im going to try and implement this and get a trainer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts