Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself to be not only a responsible DOG owner, but i take extra percaution given there breeds. I live in a very country setting. Last house up a private drive, all my neighbors are family exept one. Nothing but Woods around us and a 5 acre field.

Even though it is so private i respect my neighbors and keeps my dogs fenced in at all times when i am gone and i am ALWAYS with them when i let them run in the field. I can count on one hand how many times my dogs have gotten away. It was always while i was right there and just had my back turned long enough for them to bolt into the woods and go down to my aunts house. within minutes i was there to get them. So with that being said...

The one neighbor that isn't family. They have 2 fairly mean German shepards that they got to guard there tree farm. These people are not nice people at all and have caused my family alot of trouble over the years. My uncle told me last night that there dogs have been coming to my house and attacking my fence and the dogs were going balistic on each side of the fence. I have a 6 foot fence, but if Ty really wanted to he could jump that no problem, as i am sure there dogs could as well. but what worries me most is sometimes when my dogs see something that they want and there prey drive kicks in they will turn on eachother. They have never got into a full blown fight, but i worry that because these dogs don't leave unless my uncle goes out there that they might.

I am not sure how to approach this situation. If it was up to my aunt she would want me to shoot em. I guess they have chased there grandson before and snarled at my uncle. But i could never do that. I could threaten it, but never do it. DO i call animal control? I am so mad because i take the resposibility for my dogs and keep em contained.

What would yall do?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
we live in almost the same kind of place.5 acres on the end of the road,yard fenced in.

The neibors next to us are not nice and call when ever the dogs bark.We have told her to stop as it is harrassment.I have called the police on their dog who has chased the car and ran after me and Elwood once while walking on the drive way.

I would call every time the dogs come in your yard.So the cops should get sick of coming out there and ticket them.Also take pictures of them in your yard.

If you are not home I would think of leaving the dogs in the house.Both dogs could really hurt each other while you are not there.

Donna

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the hard part... Tango will get into the garbage. I can trust Ty. And Tango has been fearful of a crate since i got him. No matter what i did he got out of it and he freaks out in it.

Should i call them and warn them?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Dogs of any kind should not be out running free to harass anyone or other dogs that are fenced or even on a leash . I would call the animal control and report it . You don't want these dogs hurting you or your dogs or anyone else !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just called her and told her that i have 2 dogs fenced in on my property and a son (didnt metion he is only 7 months old since he will be running around before we know it) and that i have had reports of her dog on my property more then once. I told her that I have 2 very powerful dogs on my property and one could easily jumpt the fence.

She told me that her Dog is ALAWYS by her side! I said you have a German shepard right? She said yes. I said well she is up here harrasing my dogs. If anything happens to my dogs, myself or my son there will be repercussions and next time she is on my property I will call Animal Control.

She asked me where i lived again... I said I am the last house up the drive way past Paul Charbonneau (my uncle). SHe doesn't know I am related because my last name is different. She says in a snotty tone. I thought only Charbonneau's live up there! I said well since you must know I am a Charbonneau but i don't think that matters here so please keep your dog on your property and have a nice day maam and hung up.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I had a problem like that in the past. I brough a neighbors dog back to them and told them to keep it home because I didn't want to bring it back to them in a bag. They got the message !

Here in NY we have a leash law. If your dog is not fenced it better be on a leash. If you can get one picture of her dog on your property call animal control and give them the picture and I'm sure they will talk to the woman about keeping her dogs at home.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UGH I was informed by my Aunt (another neighbor) that she will be pissed if i call Animal control because none of her 4 dogs are registered or licensed... Hmmmm MINE ARE!!! Not only are they licensed they are fenced in on my property! UGH

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Same here Donna !

Tango, I would tell your Aunt to get the license for her dogs they aren't that expensive and they don't have to be registered , well here in Pa. they don't have to be , my Rhea and Apollo aren't registered because they are family pets . They do however have license's .

·
Registered
144 Posts
<DIV>

This idea might be some work for you and some cost, but in the long run, will make your life and your dogs, much more safer and comfortable, with less stress from your neighbors. Place somenice sized kennelruns, for both of your dogs, completely on the opposite side ofyour neighbors' yard, and if possible, in a shaded area.

Make your kennel runs completely dog proofed withhousing, a roof, slightly sloping flooring without any possibility ofdigging,usea stronggauge for the run so they cannot chew or bend it with extra reinforcement at the bottom of the gates, and lockable kennel gates.

Also, place a strong high privacy fence,around your kennel runs completely with a lockedpadlock, inside your existing fence, with some room for the dogs to get out of their runs and for yourself to clean, etc.Pea-gravel is great for the area surrounding the runs to help keep dogs clean and drywith proper drainage,cleaning, and prevention of parasites/insects, etc. You can even make a nice ex area for them inside your privacy fence so they can play, do their business, etc. when your outwith them. Because you have such a large yard, you can make this ex area around the kennel runs, as large as needed - so long as you keep it far away from your neighbors! It also gives you an area of yardto have guests come over without your dogs under foot,to your liking.

Use thelocksto keep people out and keep dogs in!Using bungee cables around all gates, alsoprevents dogsfrom escaping by pushing on the gates and distracts people from trying to get inside your yard.

This will give you and your dogs privacy from your neighbor, andit's less likely that your dogs will get injured or get out, when your not around. Especially, when your kennel runs will havetwo fences surrounding it, ifyour dogs, oryour neighbors' dogs,did by chance ever get out of their own areas. This will also keep them from barking and getting to one another, due to the fence fighting, if you walkyour dogsby leash to their own area.

Obviously, youwould be the onechanging your yard,not your neighbor. But doing thiswill give you a peace of mind,stopping this horrible cycle of the dogs fighting. It's hard having neighbors, that also have dogs,when neither person agrees or works out an arrangement, but it's up to an individual to change their own life, if they want to do so. I wish you the very best!
</DIV>

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
I'm with the aunt .....

if you cant shoot em POISON em .....

or just wait till they attack your son ....... all the I'm sorry's

in the world aint gonna help after that ......

animal control ????? your the one with the dangerous dogs

or so they say .....

oh ya " welcome " to the forum

·
Registered
218 Posts
Please do not hurt the dogs.. If you do something illegal, down the road it is going to bite you in the rear-end. They are not bad dogs, they have bad owners and that is where you have to hit them. Take the legal route. Call animal control everyday if you have to. Tell them you have a small child and you are frightened of them. Try to barrier you place as well as possible and keep calling. Let the owners get fined and ect... it will hit them where it hurts in the pocket. You cannot worry about what others think either. You need to do what is right for your family. The legal way

1 - 14 of 14 Posts