Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone. I a really enjoying this site and all the great advice on here. And again I am in need of some more. We are starting to take Xena on walks to get her used to a leash. She is already pulling harder then my Boarder Collie did. I was wondering does anyone recommend any specific type of collar to help or any suggestions how to break this habit. I realize now she is small but in a couple of months this could be a real problem. Any help is appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
429 Posts
How old is xena?? People always use chokers for rotts. I do too but notfor walking them. I rather use a harness instead.

keep walking him every day, if its possible, the same hour or time, that'll help!

And remember!! You're walking him, not him walking you!!!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
196 Posts
treats ,treats ,treats.i rottie pup will do any thing for a treat.wheni am leash training my pups i always carry treats in my pocket,just a lil incentive!when ever one starts to walk ahead of me i just stop.regroup and continue to move forward,and i just keep doing that until they get the message that they are to walk on my side and not ahead of me.now i can walk them and ride my bike with them on my side with no leash.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Xena is a female that is 3 1/2 months old she is doing wonderful, I think the treat idea is great and I have read some terrible things about the chockers. We walk at roughly the same time each night so I think its just a matter of time.

Thanks for the info

Mike

·
Registered
196 Posts
mike
your right its just a matter of time.and with rotties they are easy to train and willing to please.
i once had a neighbor who tied there dog outside with a choker chain and it got entermangled from the dog run in circles;it could have choked or embedded in the dog neck if the owners had not been attentive.yeah they can be dangeruos

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Any collar is dangerous ifnot used properly.

All of mine are started training on a leather buckle collar (as puppys).Then they move up to the training collar (choke chain),and if I really need to get the attention we put the prong on for a few reminders.

I also treat when training,but I use hot dogs and spit them from my mouth at them.That way their attention is always on my face.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Chokers look very niceonrotts....But just for that!! Right now, mine is using a leather collar, but I'm trying the harness when we go for a walk. He's doing good so far...He's always waiting for 7:eek:o pm.... Puppy's going out!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ido the same as Donna.

I started with a leather buckle, then during training and walks, I use a choke chain. Sometimes when Zeus is testing his leadership ( which they always will at some point) I would use a prong. For a while I used a prong and had the little rubber stoppers on the ends of them because I did not want to hurt his neck. I was wondering why he was not even phased by this collor until I realized the rubber was just a really good cushion and he could not even feel the collar.

Rotties are I think like German Shepherds in the phyical aspect of having very powerful necks... When Zeus had neck surgery in March, they said he had 8 inches of muscle on his neck, that is how strong that area is.

I thinkRotties also have such a powerful chest... I think a choke chain is a great tool if applied and used properly during walks. The main thing is you want to have total control of your dog when he is out in public.

Just somethin to think about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts