Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12-year old boy has had hip problems lately, more difficulty getting up and walking slower, I've been giving him joint supplements most of his life. Today he stopped getting up. I tried to help him but he growls and cries at the same time and falls back down. I'll take him to the vet as soon as I can, but what's the usual outcome of this? It's most likely arthritis. I've heard there is very expensive medicine to keep him walking. How many do the medicine, how much, on average, does it cost, and how long does it prolong their ability to walk? He's otherwise healthy, is this the end? Do some put their dogs to sleep once they can't walk? He's 130 lbs, it's going to be hard to have him go pee tonight....any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did some research online and gave me 120mg of naproxen NSAID, if it's arthritis, it should make him get up, and then I'm going to up the dose of glucosamine and also give him mega 3 and 6 fatty acids. but if it's the degenerative myleopathy, I regret my friend, I won't be spending thousands to keep him alive... he's had 5 expensive surgeries over the span of his life, there is a point where treatment has to stop, especially at 12 years of age...this is sad...I've given him vitamins, supplements, good food all of his life, did a lot of exercise in the younger years, not so much in his senior years I must admit. this is my first and last dog, I will never get another dog, that's a whole another discussion though.

i'm debating what's better for him, buffered aspirin or naproxen. at this point, my only goal for tonight is for him to be able to walk outside and pee. even if I manage to carry him out (I can), he won't pee while i'm holding him up on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
So sorry to hear you are going through this with your boy. You can give him an aspirin...but I'm afraid that this may be the end of the road for him. My 12 year old Rottie Baxter ended up like that. He was on all sorts of arthritic meds and then one day his back end just went and he could not get up. We ended up getting a big beach towel under him, and lifting it up under his belly. He got his front legs up, and with the towel under his belly we managed to get him outside. We got him to the vet, where he was euthanized.

Can you get a vet to come to your home?? Can you get a friend or relative over to your home to help you get him on a blanket and make a stretcher to carry him to the car? Please do not let him suffer. If he is trying to bite...make a muzzle out of something soft like a gauze bandage, or pantyhose.

Let is know what happens.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Very sorry to hear this, We went through the same thing with one of our boys. Our Vet came to the house to put him down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update, last night i gave him 120 mg of naproxen NSAID, waited 45 minutes, then lifted up his hips, he stood up and we went for a long walk, he did all his stuff and even sniffed around everywhere. i'll put him on daily nsaid, high dose of glucosamine and omega fatty acids and see how it goes. he doesn't suffer when he's walking around, he'll even pull me out of the way to sniff around. it's just hard to get up for him.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
Glad that you could get him up. I would call your vet and ask if giving him that amount of Naproxen is okay. I would be worried that it may cause stomach problems....like diarrhea! Then you may really have a problem if his stomach goes. At 12 years of age, he is an old senior. I would start preparing for what is to come. Better to take him for shorter more frequent walks....then one long walk. He may decide to just lay down on one of his walks...and not get up.

Has he had bloodwork done recently?? NSAID can be hard on the kidneys also....and damage his kidneys.
Let us know how things are going.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
How is your boy doing? Still able to get up and walk? Hope all is well with him??

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
DO NOT GIVE NAPROXEN TO YOUR DOG!!!!! It is toxic to dogs and cats...as little as 220mg can cause major issues.

Reactions: big black dogs

·
Registered
499 Posts
I did some research online and gave me 120mg of naproxen NSAID, if it's arthritis, it should make him get up, and then I'm going to up the dose of glucosamine and also give him mega 3 and 6 fatty acids. but if it's the degenerative myleopathy, I regret my friend, I won't be spending thousands to keep him alive... he's had 5 expensive surgeries over the span of his life, there is a point where treatment has to stop, especially at 12 years of age...this is sad...I've given him vitamins, supplements, good food all of his life, did a lot of exercise in the younger years, not so much in his senior years I must admit. this is my first and last dog, I will never get another dog, that's a whole another discussion though.

i'm debating what's better for him, buffered aspirin or naproxen. at this point, my only goal for tonight is for him to be able to walk outside and pee. even if I manage to carry him out (I can), he won't pee while i'm holding him up on the ground.
Sorry to hear what your going through. We had to carry our Ringo at the end. He had bone cancer in the shoulder. BBD already suggested what I was going to say about lifting his back end up. We do all we can but in the end they simply don’t live as long as we do. 😢

·
Registered
60 Posts
DO NOT GIVE NAPROXEN TO YOUR DOG!!!!! It is toxic to dogs and cats...as little as 220mg can cause major issues.
That’s not true. You need to monitor dosage and if given regularly could cause issues with liver. This is true for chronic issues not for the occasional soreness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts