Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! I'm New here.!!!!

I'm from the caribbean (The Dominican Republic), and Rocco's proud owner!!

He's a month and a half old. He had his tail docked recently (yesterday) but he doesn't stop licking and "bugging his tail" and that is not good. I'm giving him medication to prevent infections, but I really need to know if there's a way to cure the wound, or something to calm his pain. My heart is really broken. I hate when that hurts him. What can I do????

Thanks.

Ps... He's soooooooooooooooooooo cute!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I have never in my life heard of anyone docking a tail at that age. Usually done at two or three days old for that reason. It isn't even called docking at a month old, it is amputation. Wow, wish I could help you. I feel for the poor thing. Not only is it probably hurting but the dog realizes something is missing. He had a tail for a month and a half. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he he didn't grow up full of fear when someone walks behind him or touches him back there.

Don't mean to sound harsh but geez, some countries won't even allow docking anymore and doing it at that age would get you put in jail in some places.

If they do strange stuff like that over there maybe someone will give you some pain meds over there too. I'd call around and ask. Welcome aboard and I wish you all sorts of luck. Hope you can make him feel better.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
They make those collars that look like lamp shades that you can put on him to stop him from licking.But I can say it will bother him for a bit,it will hurt to sit hurt to lay down,but he will get past it.

Some people dock (amputate tails) on older dogs.A Vet did one of my puppies tails too long and then they redid it when he got older.I left Elwwods longer as he will be big enough to carry a longer tail.

Some people also import and then have the tails done once they get here.Everyone has their own perference some people would never want a dog with a tail,but like imported dogs.Until we can not do it any longer,it is still allowed here at any age.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Poor baby... As for his pain, and he probably is feeling it since he is a little older than when they ususally dock them. Call the vet and ask for some pain med. They at least have a mild form of Ibuprofen for dogs that can ease the dicomfort for a few days. It will help...

Let us know how he is doing

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey!

Thanks for your concern. In my country, dog owners, usually take very good care of our dogs. I got my puppy the day before of docking his tail, my purpose was not to hurt him. I know that's not the perfect age to do that, but I had to do it before it was to late. His first "dad" didn't know this fact...I guess.

Rocco is doing pretty well thank God, and now it looks like he doesn't even care about it. His vet is also spoiling him a lot, and she's taking extreme care.

He's happy and playing with his5 brothers.. (5 chihuahua puppies)

Thank you all for your answers, I hope we keep in touch.

By the way, I always watch ANIMAL PLANET, and every time I see all the cruelty to dogs.. Especially in some parts of the united states, I really look up to those agents that work for the ASPCA. That makes me love my pets more than ever.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Gladto hear Rocco isdoing great... they are just like kids... It hurts some and then it's all gone.

Welcome to the site..

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Rocca said:
I see all the cruelty to dogs.. Especially in some parts of the united states,
SAD you got that right ...... right here in these United States

I think people that abuse animals should have stiffer punishments

in 1985 i helped pass the domestic animal law ... before then there

were no laws for domestic animals ..... just beast of burden laws

there is still along way to go in this country to help our PETS

BUT i am glad you boy is doing good with his injury / surgery

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi Rocco, welcome to the site ! glad to hear your baby is feeling better . Lots of great info here for you and your baby . Is he your first Rotty?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi!!!

Thanks for your comments!

I hate when people harm animals, and it's true they're like babies, sometimes they can't protect themselves -most of the time- IMAGINE! They hurt even puppies!!!! I have6 puppies at home right now, and I wouldn't stand if someone does a bad thing to them.

Anyways!

Rocco is not my first rott. I had Tokisha for nine years, unfortunately she died a couple of months ago. I was very sad, she had a huge hidden breast tumor.

I fell in love with rotts.

My chihuahuas are Mimi and Kiki, Kiki just had a BIG family.. Five tiny kids!!

Hey Kitty, all advices and info are very welcome. But first I have a question..

How can you stand 3 rott puppies!!! hahaha. My God!! Mine is driving me crazy.. I should have named him Taz!!! My shoes, socks, stuffed animals, even hair bands are almost gone!!! hahaha

I'm just mad in love with him.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ahhh! for those dogswho have rocco's same problem, I'm using besides medication, a plant! I'm sure you have heard of it..It's called aloe vera... I have lots of those plants in my backyard, It really works! The vet prescribed!!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Rocca, I'm not the only one here that has 3 or more ...Donna ( rutylr ) has 8 ! now thats allot !! Do you crate your baby? I couldn't have done it with out crating them thats for sure !! and they love their crates !!

Don't say it Dan

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
watch out with aloe vera make sure your dog does not lick it off.

Tea tree oil and aloe vera have also been reported to cause toxic effects. Aloe vera can cause vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain when consumed. These side effects are not usually seen when aloe vera is used on the skin (such as in shampoos) although they may be seen if the animal licks an aloe vera based product off its skin. Again, the key to preventing these toxicities in your pet is to prevent them from gaining access to potentially toxic plants, and if you have any questions ask one of our vets.

Like Kitty said we have 8 Rottweilers and 3 American Pit Bull Terriers here.We have 4 boys and 4 girls.I would really like to just have all girls.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
No they do not,So I juggle dogs.

Some can't even know the other one is close by.The girls are the worse,The boys we keep seperate just because they are boys.

The yard (so far) is fenced of into 5 kennels and the smallest being 12x12,and it can only get bigger.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wowww! That's a lot!!!!!

Thanks for the advice. ruttyl!!

I also love them all girls, but when I went to pick the puppy up, I wanted a girl, there were 2 of them, and to boys in the litter, But ta taaaaaan~~ I saw this huge, cute, and playful puppy (he had like an angry face) They all do hahah... Inmeditely fell n love with him..

Now I have him right here with me. He is staying in my bedroom while his tail is ok. He's almost fine. I'll send a picture soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts