Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here we go....we have a 2 year old Rottie. we've had him since he's about 4 weeks old. extremely intelligent, quick to learn new commands, excellent with other dogs, excellent at dog park, excellent behavior at home...But, there are a few issues we are currently encountering. 1. he seems very aggressive while on walks in our neighborhood, if he sees anyone he notices them immediately and is cautious of them and if they get close he growls and wants to go towards them, he does this to just about anyone he sees. I don't know if is out of fear or actual aggression or protective instinct of the breed. He does the same thing when he's in the car with us, if anyone comes too close to the car he goes berserk. 2. while out on walks he will walk half way up the block and then stops and wants to turn around and go back the other way, but if I take him off leash he follows me once he sees that I'm getting far from him. I don't like forcing him to walk a certain distance if he refuses and wants to turn around. he is also extremely nervous and jumpy, he freaks out if he hears any sudden sounds like, motorcycles, any loud motor cars, any sirens from police, fire, ambulance etc. fireworks of course, does not like skateboards, motorcycles, anyone on roller blades, or anyone on a bicycle. sometimes when at home he'll freak out for no apparent reason and goes to his bed in our bedroom and just lies there for approx 30 minutes or so. I have no idea why he's showing this type of behavior...any help is greatly appreciated.:cool::):)

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
He sounds like he is weak nerved, and fearful. A confident dog would not be reacting that way. People walking by are not a danger therefore there is nothing to be protective about. One of the problems may stem from getting him at 4 weeks of age. A pup should not leave it's littermates before the age of 8 weeks...and in fact in some states it's against the law to be sold before 8 weeks. By leaving so early he did not learn from littermates.

How much formal training has he had?? I think you may have to take much more of a leadership role with him. Him not wanting to walk past a certain point of his walk and you allowing him not to....is showing me that he is running the show....not you. Him being allowed to growl and be aggressive while on walks shows again...that he is getting away with bad behavior. You are in charge...you tell him what behavior you want. Teach him "leave it" so that he ignores people...and keep on moving. What would happen if he pulled the leash out of your hand when he became aggressive to people on the street? Do you think he would bite them?

He is a young dog, and his behavior will escalate if not changed. Find a trainer that knows about working breeds and get some help!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I agree with BBD Reiner needs obedience work. You need to call the shots on the aggressive behavior the sooner the better. He'll get more confidence in himself as he matures too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts