Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 beautiful puppies, 12 months Labrador, 11months Rottweiler, both males. Got them very small, 9 and 5 weeks old . They grew up together, they eat next to each other without a problem, they play good, rarely get a little ruff but ntn crazy. They spend night together in the backyard, ok size , about 3000 square feet. So far no problems, but i was thinking to neuter the Lab(as i want puppies from the rottweiler later on) in order to avoid future problems and fights when both in heat. Honestly I'm not a big fan of neutering, as it changes the hormonal balance of an otherwise healthy dog, so of possible i would like to avoid it. I'm hearing so many different opinions i don't know what to do. One side telling me I'm crazy and they gonna kill each other, others telling me ntn gonna happen as they grow up together and the rottweiler is so much more dominant that he will be the alpha while the labrador will accept his role as a follower and respect him........ Any inputs? Any experience with 2 non neutered dogs living together?

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
The problem having 2 intact males is that all can be fine while they are this young...but once sexual maturity really kicks in...things may not. Rottweilers tend to be same sex aggressive...and you may have big problems in the future. If you plan on adding a female pup into the mix, for sure have the Lab neutered. Females come into heat...male dogs don't.

The Lab may one day decide that he does not like to be bossed around...and that may trigger a fight. You still have very young dogs right now, as they mature things may change. Labs are notorious for wanting to wander....an intact Lab can be annoying looking for females .

·
Registered
663 Posts
The Rottweiler could kill your Lab. How would you feel if you came home to that? Honestly, you people who have this non-neutering fetish are very gullible. These are animals, dogs, they can be dominated by hormones that make them do horrible things they wouldn't ordinarily do. They are not like rational people, don't anthropomorphize them! It won't threaten your masculinity either.

Can you separate two large fighting dogs? Especially one who has the most pressure per square inch in his bite of any dog and can do a hell of a lot of damage to you or the other dog while his brain is dominated by hormones. Dogs who are neutered live longer so I don't see where the hormones make a positive difference in their lifespan. There are way more cons to this argument than pros. Don't wait until they fight or it's too late to neuter because one is dead or ripped up.

In your case, you have two dogs who might be vying for your attention and the competition is already there, hormones could just add a Molotov cocktail into the mix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Rottweiler could kill your Lab. How would you feel if you came home to that? Honestly, you people who have this non-neutering fetish are very gullible. These are animals, dogs, they can be dominated by hormones that make them do horrible things they wouldn't ordinarily do. They are not like rational people, don't anthropomorphize them! It won't threaten your masculinity either.

Can you separate two large fighting dogs? Especially one who has the most pressure per square inch in his bite of any dog and can do a hell of a lot of damage to you or the other dog while his brain is dominated by hormones. Dogs who are neutered live longer so I don't see where the hormones make a positive difference in their lifespan. There are way more cons to this argument than pros. Don't wait until they fight or it's too late to neuter because one is dead or ripped up.

In your case, you have two dogs who might be vying for your attention and the competition is already there, hormones could just add a Molotov cocktail into the mix.
Would u suggest it's better to get both of them neuter? Or i could get away by just neutering the lab? Of course i don't want ntn bad to happen.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Life would be much easier for you, and for both dogs to be neutered. You mentioned that you want to breed the Rottweiler....though there really is way more to breeding then keeping a male dog with testicles. You need to have his eyes and heart certified...by ophthalmologist vet, and cardiologist vet...Rottweilers do have genetic problems with both eyes and serious heart condition called SAS (sub aortic stenosis). At 2 years of age his hips and elbows need to be x-rayed and sent to OFA www.ofa.org . The stud also has to be screened for brucellosis and other STD's. Of course he should also be shown against other male dogs and a judge...to know if he is worthy of being used for breeding. He should also have some titles in obedience or sport.... These are all things that he should have if you want to be an ethical breeder and have your dog sire pups that are breed worthy.

No guarantee that having them both neutered that they will live without fighting...but getting rid of all that extra testosterone gives you a much better chance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts