Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My name is Robert and I live in Cedar City, Utah - about 2.5 hours north of Las Vegas right on I-15. Beautiful rocky terrain up here at 5,500 feet and I highly recommend visiting the National Park in the area, both Bryce Canyon and Zion are incredible. I joined the forum because I have a three year old male that I love to death and am interested in learning about breeding. I'm not looking to make a bunch of money, I just want to carry on his lineage so I can get one of his grandsons down the road. He's registered and a perfect specimen. Anyway, I'm looking forward to joining the community and my wife and I will get some pics up this weekend. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
1,686 Posts
Welcome to the forums! There is way more to using your dog for breeding and wanting to breed because he is a' perfect specimen'. What is his pedigree? What have you done with your dog to know that he is a perfect specimen? What show titles or working titles has he achieved? What are his hip and elbow scores, heart and eye certs?? These should all be done...he is old enough now. They should all be posted on : www.ofa.org What are his sire and dam's scores? These are all very important to know so you have no surprises coming into your blood lines. Rottweilers can be an unhealthy breed...things often don't show up till the dog is older, or it skips a generation.

Everyone loves their dog, and thinks their dog is the best...as it should be. When you think of breeding that means bringing in 10 + pups into the world...that could suffer with hip dysplasia, or elbow dysplasia or drop dead at the age of 2 because of SAS (heart problem), etc. Don't become a BYB. If you like your dog so much , then buy a pup from the breeder you got your pup from...they should have the same bloodlines to carry on.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Have you discussed your desire to breed with your dogs breeder?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forums! There is way more to using your dog for breeding and wanting to breed because he is a' perfect specimen'. What is his pedigree? What have you done with your dog to know that he is a perfect specimen? What show titles or working titles has he achieved? What are his hip and elbow scores, heart and eye certs?? These should all be done...he is old enough now. They should all be posted on : www.ofa.org What are his sire and dam's scores? These are all very important to know so you have no surprises coming into your blood lines. Rottweilers can be an unhealthy breed...things often don't show up till the dog is older, or it skips a generation.

Everyone loves their dog, and thinks their dog is the best...as it should be. When you think of breeding that means bringing in 10 + pups into the world...that could suffer with hip dysplasia, or elbow dysplasia or drop dead at the age of 2 because of SAS (heart problem), etc. Don't become a BYB. If you like your dog so much , then buy a pup from the breeder you got your pup from...they should have the same bloodlines to carry on.
Great info! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll take a look at the flowchart and if it makes sense, get to work on proper documentation. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you discussed your desire to breed with your dogs breeder?
Only briefly about a year ago. She lives in Aurora, Colorado and I have moved to southern Utah. I am still in contact with her, so I can definitely reach out to her again. Thanks for the tip and the reminder!

·
Super Moderator
1,686 Posts
Only briefly about a year ago. She lives in Aurora, Colorado and I have moved to southern Utah. I am still in contact with her, so I can definitely reach out to her again. Thanks for the tip and the reminder!
Was he sold on full registration?? Any decent ethical breeder that sold you a pup with full registration would usually have it in the contract that your pup would need to be titled and have all of the health certifications before being used as a stud dog. I have a feeling you bought your pup from a BYB, and they did not care. On his AKC papers what is his registered name? what are the sire and dams name? Someone on this forum can look them up to see the pedigree and if there have been any titles or health certs on your dogs pedigree recently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was he sold on full registration?? Any decent ethical breeder that sold you a pup with full registration would usually have it in the contract that your pup would need to be titled and have all of the health certifications before being used as a stud dog. I have a feeling you bought your pup from a BYB, and they did not care. On his AKC papers what is his registered name? what are the sire and dams name? Someone on this forum can look them up to see the pedigree and if there have been any titles or health certs on your dogs pedigree recently.
Thanks for the comment. I'll look for his AKC papers this weekend and post the names.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts