Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - I am new here, and also a fairly new rottie owner. My wife and I adopted our 8 year rottie about 6 months ago, after one of her owners passed and the surviving spouse was too elderly to care for her. Her name is Honey Bee and we are absolutely smitten with her. The first 5 months with her were fantastic - no health issues, and no history of health issues per her prior owners. We started walking more (she did not walk much in her prior home), transitioned her over to a better quality food (from Rachel Ray to Wellness), and added a few supplements to her diet (Dasequin and an allergy/probiotic supplement). She did just fine with all of these changes. However, over the past few weeks she has developed a few health issues and I would love input from more experienced dog/rottie owners. Sorry this is a bit long, but to summarize:

In February, we started her on NexGard because we live in a wooded area with many ticks. Within 12 hours of her first dose, she had some diarrhea. It cleared on its own very quickly. About 3 weeks later, she started having these odd episodes where she would seem absolutely exhausted after our short morning walk, and she would refuse breakfast when we got home. Mind you, this is a dog who LIVES for food and treats. Around the same time, she had a few bouts of diarrhea with blood and mucus. We chalked it up to eating something she shouldn't have (she does not do this often, but she did help herself to a few mouthfuls of potting soil a few days earlier). This eventually cleared on its own too. A week later, we administered her second NexGard dose. About 3-4 days later, she started having markedly less endurance on walks, refusing food and just seeming generally uncomfortable and lethargic. This morning she had another bout of diarrhea with blood and mucus and was refusing food and treats. I am unsure if this is related to the NexGard because the onset of symptoms was not immediately after administration, but it does seem odd that the timing coincides and she did not have any issues prior to starting NexGard. Our other guesses are bad arthritis or hip dysplasia (but not sure that would develop so quickly and causes GI issues) or IBS. Of course there are other worse possibilities but we are trying not to focus on those yet. Our vet hasn't taken our concerns very seriously due to her age, but I am going to call them again today and insist on another appointment. I just hate to see our poor girl so uncomfortable and not herself.

If anyone has any thoughts, tips or experiences (including with NexGard side effects), I would love to hear them. Thank you so much!

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! I'm so sorry to hear that you are having health problems with Honey Bee. I would stop using the NexGard ASAP and try to use something like Heartgard Plus and Advantix on different days. I have used a combo of these two for many years with no problems.
The first thing that came up when I googled side effects for NexGard is this:

Since the release of NexGard, adverse events that have been reported for dogs are listed here in decreasing order of reporting frequency: Vomiting, pruritus, lethargy, diarrhea (with and without blood), anorexia, seizure, hyperactivity/ restlessness, panting, erythema, ataxia, dermatitis (including rash, papules), ...Sept 21, 2018

At 8 years of age she is a young senior....but the only way to know if it's the NexGard causing the problems is to stop using it on her. If the symptoms do not go away gradually....then you will have to delve deeper into her health problems. Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

Thank-you for adopting her.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums!! I'm so sorry to hear that you are having health problems with Honey Bee. I would stop using the NexGard ASAP and try to use something like Heartgard Plus and Advantix on different days. I have used a combo of these two for many years with no problems.
The first thing that came up when I googled side effects for NexGard is this:

Since the release of NexGard, adverse events that have been reported for dogs are listed here in decreasing order of reporting frequency: Vomiting, pruritus, lethargy, diarrhea (with and without blood), anorexia, seizure, hyperactivity/ restlessness, panting, erythema, ataxia, dermatitis (including rash, papules), ...Sept 21, 2018

At 8 years of age she is a young senior....but the only way to know if it's the NexGard causing the problems is to stop using it on her. If the symptoms do not go away gradually....then you will have to delve deeper into her health problems. Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

Thank-you for adopting her.
Thank you so much for the response! We are not planning to give her the NexGard again, but it will take a few weeks to run through her system. I am kicking myself for giving her the second dose! The vet pushed it as a very safe solution for ticks, and I am not particularly earthy-crunchy so I didn't do much research or look at more mild alternatives. Lesson learned.

We had a vet appointment this morning and the vet and tech were very dismissive of my suspicions about the NexGard. They did bloodwork (results tomorrow) and took a few x-rays of her abdomen. The x-rays didn't show anything too concerning (just a gas pocket/bubble near her tummy), so she received fluids and prescription ant-nausea and anti-diarrhea medicines. I'm planning to follow-up with the vet tomorrow and crossing my fingers that she perks up and regains some interest in her food. Our poor girl, it is hard to understand how she went from an energetic food-hound to a lethargic pup with no interest in breakfast or dinner, just within a few days. :cry:

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts
Vets seem to push certain things and don't really want to admit that certain drugs do have negative results in some dogs. I would also suspect that she had a reaction from NexGard. Glad that you had her checked out and fingers crossed that in a few days she will be feeling better. I'm with you....if my food hound Rottweiler had missed a meal....I would have been plenty worried.

Let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Everyone - I am new here, and also a fairly new rottie owner. My wife and I adopted our 8 year rottie about 6 months ago, after one of her owners passed and the surviving spouse was too elderly to care for her. Her name is Honey Bee and we are absolutely smitten with her. The first 5 months with her were fantastic - no health issues, and no history of health issues per her prior owners. We started walking more (she did not walk much in her prior home), transitioned her over to a better quality food (from Rachel Ray to Wellness), and added a few supplements to her diet (Dasequin and an allergy/probiotic supplement). She did just fine with all of these changes. However, over the past few weeks she has developed a few health issues and I would love input from more experienced dog/rottie owners. Sorry this is a bit long, but to summarize:

In February, we started her on NexGard because we live in a wooded area with many ticks. Within 12 hours of her first dose, she had some diarrhea. It cleared on its own very quickly. About 3 weeks later, she started having these odd episodes where she would seem absolutely exhausted after our short morning walk, and she would refuse breakfast when we got home. Mind you, this is a dog who LIVES for food and treats. Around the same time, she had a few bouts of diarrhea with blood and mucus. We chalked it up to eating something she shouldn't have (she does not do this often, but she did help herself to a few mouthfuls of potting soil a few days earlier). This eventually cleared on its own too. A week later, we administered her second NexGard dose. About 3-4 days later, she started having markedly less endurance on walks, refusing food and just seeming generally uncomfortable and lethargic. This morning she had another bout of diarrhea with blood and mucus and was refusing food and treats. I am unsure if this is related to the NexGard because the onset of symptoms was not immediately after administration, but it does seem odd that the timing coincides and she did not have any issues prior to starting NexGard. Our other guesses are bad arthritis or hip dysplasia (but not sure that would develop so quickly and causes GI issues) or IBS. Of course there are other worse possibilities but we are trying not to focus on those yet. Our vet hasn't taken our concerns very seriously due to her age, but I am going to call them again today and insist on another appointment. I just hate to see our poor girl so uncomfortable and not herself.

If anyone has any thoughts, tips or experiences (including with NexGard side effects), I would love to hear them. Thank you so much!
Check the inside of her mouth gums and cheeks. Should be a nice pink color. If that looks faded or light take her to the vet immediately. This is important.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts and insight! This forum is such a valuable resource for new rottie (and dog) owners.

Bloodwork came back completely normal this morning, so the vets are stumped. We started her on metronidazole and sucralfate yesterday, and they want us to finish both 7-day cycles. I insisted on a follow-up appointment tomorrow, just to be safe, since the regular vet will be closed for the weekend.

She perked up a bit today and is keeping down small meals of the canned GI food. Her poo is still super soft and has some mucus, but no more blood. Hoping for an even better day tomorrow. I still suspect the NexGard, but who knows.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just to give a final update: After my last post her lethargy got worse and she was vomiting to the point where she could not keep down more than 1-2 tablespoons of food. The regular vet did a barium X-ray study that was not conclusive, but he suspected a partial blockage in her stomach. We transferred her to our local veterinary hospital for an ultrasound, which showed no blockage. She is going on her second night at the hospital on fluids and GI meds. The best explanation we got is that she ate something “bad.” At this point, we are fairly certain it was the NexGard and I will make a point of warning anyone I speak to in the future about this. We are hoping that our sweet girl can come home tomorrow and does not have any lasting damage/effects. It is certainly not the same without her here!

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts
How scary for you!! Sorry that she took a turn for the worse. I hope she is feeling better tomorrow and can go home?
I hope the vet also puts in their opinion about the NexGard to the company about the side effects. The company should pay the vet bill.

Let us know how things are going.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a couple of days at the veterinary hospital, Bee came home on Sunday night! Her GI issues are finally on the mend, and we are in the process of transitioning her back to a regular diet.

The hospital kennel was not kind to her arthritis and she had some significant swelling and pain from her IV bandage, so we are slowly working to get back to her usual strength and comfort level.

We unfortunately still don’t have any clear diagnosis and the vets seemed hesitant to blame her NexGard, but that was the only change in her diet so we suspect it was the cause.

They did find some unrelated issues during her abdominal ultrasound (mass on her adrenal gland and an “oddly shaped” spleen) but they vets did not believe those were related and we are going to just monitor her for now and recheck in the future if she develops any symptoms. The hospital vet and our regular vet did not seem terribly concerned about these findings.

Thank you, everyone, for your well wishes and advice.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Such a brave beautiful girl.

I am so glad she's with people who take such good care of her. With you caring for her I am sure she will recover. I have to agree that it seems likely it was the Nexguard. It may be rare, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there, first give your beautiful girl a hug from me. Regarding Nexguard and similar products. PLEASE DON'T use the liquid or pill forms of these toxic products - it also cause seizures. I lost my beautiful GSD because of Nexguard. She was 5 years old when she died. I now only use Karbadust on my Rotties.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi there, first give your beautiful girl a hug from me. Regarding Nexguard and similar products. PLEASE DON'T use the liquid or pill forms of these toxic products - it also cause seizures. I lost my beautiful GSD because of Nexguard. She was 5 years old when she died. I now only use Karbadust on my Rotties.
I’m so sorry for your loss. I wish I knew more about NexGard before we started giving it to our rottie. We will never give NexGard or any similar products to our pets again. We are currently trying a natural supplement (garlic and brewers yeast) and a natural spray (wondercide) to see if that keeps the ticks under control on our walks. I hadn’t heard of Karbadust but I will check it out and see if it’s available where I live!

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts
I've had really good luck for many years, with multiple Rottweilers, and foster dogs using Heartgard Plus (it's Ivermectin) chewable, and I usually have a supply of Advantix. I start the Heartgard in May and give till Oct. We live in a colder area...and often have snow by Oct. We can have snow and cool temperatures till May also. Fleas and ticks are not a huge problem here...so I use it sparingly often just for July and August....and have leftover doses for the next year. I have never had any of my own dogs or any foster dogs every have any problems with the Heartgard Plus or the Advantage/Advantix. I do the Heartgard the first of the month and the Advantix (if I think it may be needed) in the middle of the month. Not everything together.

Ivermectin has been used to prevent heartworms for most probably 30 years? and has a good track record for safety.

If you live in an area with mosquitoes around, garlic and brewers yeast are not going to prevent heartworms....no natural products will.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m so sorry for your loss. I wish I knew more about NexGard before we started giving it to our rottie. We will never give NexGard or any similar products to our pets again. We are currently trying a natural supplement (garlic and brewers yeast) and a natural spray (wondercide) to see if that keeps the ticks under control on our walks. I hadn’t heard of Karbadust but I will check it out and see if it’s available where I live!
Thank you and yes it was a hard lesson to learn. I don't know if Karbadust is available in your country, but see if you can find something similar? Or alternatively you can also use diatomaceous earth♥ Much love to you♥

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I've had really good luck for many years, with multiple Rottweilers, and foster dogs using Heartgard Plus (it's Ivermectin) chewable, and I usually have a supply of Advantix. I start the Heartgard in May and give till Oct. We live in a colder area...and often have snow by Oct. We can have snow and cool temperatures till May also. Fleas and ticks are not a huge problem here...so I use it sparingly often just for July and August....and have leftover doses for the next year. I have never had any of my own dogs or any foster dogs every have any problems with the Heartgard Plus or the Advantage/Advantix. I do the Heartgard the first of the month and the Advantix (if I think it may be needed) in the middle of the month. Not everything together.

Ivermectin has been used to prevent heartworms for most probably 30 years? and has a good track record for safety.

If you live in an area with mosquitoes around, garlic and brewers yeast are not going to prevent heartworms....no natural products will.
Yes, she’s taken heartguard for heart worms her entire life without issue (per her prior owners), so we are going to continue that, but after her NexGard reaction (which was a new product for her) we are going to try the more alternative/natural options for fleas and ticks. Of course we live in a super wooded area with a lot of deer, so I am sure it will be a trial and error to find something that actually works against the ticks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts