Rottweilers Online Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts
Yes, she’s taken heartguard for heart worms her entire life without issue (per her prior owners), so we are going to continue that, but after her NexGard reaction (which was a new product for her) we are going to try the more alternative/natural options for fleas and ticks. Of course we live in a super wooded area with a lot of deer, so I am sure it will be a trial and error to find something that actually works against the ticks!
I just came from the vets office and they are really pushing the NexGard. I said "no"...I want Heartgard. It's1/3 of the price also...and I agree with you, way less problems with Heartgard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just came from the vets office and they are really pushing the NexGard. I said "no"...I want Heartgard. It's1/3 of the price also...and I agree with you, way less problems with Heartgard.
They were very pushy with us too! The vet insisted that we needed to do both (HeartGuard for heart worms and NexGard for ticks and fleas). I’m sure it works for many dogs, but it was pretty disastrous for our pup. At the very least, I wish we’d been given more information about the NexGard side effects (GI and seizures). I’ll definitely be asking more questions of our vet going forward, just to be safe!

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts
It was NexGard Spectra that the vet was pushing...it's for heartworms, worms, and flea and tick preventative all rolled into one pill every month. Sounds "fully loaded". 😕

·
Registered
4 Posts
I keep flea pressure off my guy with a teaspoon of dried, minced garlic in his raw food each day. Fir Meadow D-Wormer every six months, and that is good for heartworm. Used that with my goats before I used it with the dogs. My current dog has never had chemical flea treatment at 15 months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Somewhat of an old thread but my last Rotti had 13 seizures in 12 hours less than 1 month after taking NexGard. His attending Neurologist was the one that pointed the correlation out to me and I never used another flea/tick medication on him again for the rest of his life. I will also never administer that poison to any of my dogs ever again.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts