Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I am new here to this site and also a new dad of a 12wk old rottie. I am trying to find out some information. We have had xena for about 6wks now and she is wonderful. She is learning so quickly but the poor thing has some very loose stoles. The person we bought her from told us that he was feeding the puppies pedigree adult hard food and pedigree lamb puppy soft food and then putting can milk on the food. He said he was doing this on the advice of a vet. I talked to my vet today and he told me to take her completely off the milk products that they were what is makeing her have the squirts. I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice. I am not used to feeding a rotti I have only had border collies and chihuahuas. Big difference in dogs. Xena is learning to go to the bathroom outside and I think she would make it all the way through the night if she didn't have the squirts. So I am open to any advice I figure someone out there has had more experience with this breed then I have. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey Xenasdad,

Have you had your vet do a fecal exam? They can tell lots of stuff going on with that. She could have a bug, like Giarda, or Coccidia. It's always a good place to start regarding loose bowel movements. It's so easy for them to lose weight and dehydrate. We battled an imbalance of bacteria and giardia and finally got it beat. So far so good. Are you still feeding Pedigree? Might consider a change there. Sadie was on some mix they were feeding her and it was upsetting her something fierce. I made a change my vet suggested and it helped alot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will look into that. We have feed all my dogs pedigree for along time my vet recommended a science diet puppy food that he sales and I read the ingredients and percentages and it was exactly that same as the pedigree so I am not convince that his profit is worth my expense. We have taken her off of the can milk and are going to see if that makes a difference or not and then I will take it from there. Thanks for the advice New dog needs different things. still got alot to learn. Thanks

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hi, welcome aboard. Over on the left side of the page are some helpful links under link directory. Like this page ... [url]http://www.rottweilersonline.com/GL_SubDirectory.asp?sec=3&a mp;CatID=8[/url]

Good articals on food and health isues. I'd stay away from the milk also and I know you can find much better food. I wish I could help out more. Be careful changing foods too often because that in itself will give her the runs. Nerves will do it to so maybe you have a mixture of little things going on. Good luck with your pup and again, welcome aboard !

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Science diet is not a better food,the vet tells you that because they get a kick back on drugs (since the same people that make the dog drugs also make the dog food),

There are alot better food out there for your puppy.Look to see if Corn in one of the top ingredents in the food.If you find it anywhere in the food it is not good food.

I like Canidae I have been feeding it for years and never had a problem.

Hopefully taking your puppy off the milk and can food will help.Use the caned as a treat once in a while.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi xenasdad, welcome ! you've come to the right place to ask questions and not get chewed out ! We are all here to help you raise your little girl with good health and to be a great Rottie ! Please check into the post 2bad posted for you about food , there are allot out there I wouldn't feed a rat ! I feed Canidea and Dick Van Patten - venison and rice .

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have a 13 week old male..Bodacious.....this is from experience.....do not give him milk...i tried it once with the same result...squirt squirt...that was the last time

i feed him Nutro Natural Choice large breed puppycontrolled growth formula....mixed in with the same canned food occasionally to give him something new..peanut butter on my finger...and Yogurt...he is 35 lbs happy and healthy with solid stool

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I have always fed my dogs Nutro and when I got Gretchen I fed her the controlled growth puppy. At 8 months and 2 weeks old she weighted 70 pounds... a little skinny. A girl at the pet store said she took special classes and really did her work on food and I listened to her. Seems the Nutro was going in one end and out the other and her system never really had a chance to absorb the nutrients in the food. She never had the runs but her piles were large and the girl said it is because it isn't being used up ( the food ) in her system. She highly reccomended Canidae and I swithed over in hope that she would put on some weight before the dog show. 2 1/2 weeks later ... 81 pounds !!! That is 11 pounds in 2 weeks
. It may have been just time for a growth spurt but maybe the food change did help. I am going to really keep track. I changed ALL of my dogs over. The only problem I have had since is their farts REALLY STINK

·
Registered
67 Posts
2bad said:
I have always fed my dogs Nutro and when I got Gretchen I fed her the controlled growth puppy. At 8 months and 2 weeks old she weighted 70 pounds... a little skinny. A girl at the pet store said she took special classes and really did her work on food and I listened to her. Seems the Nutro was going in one end and out the other and her system never really had a chance to absorb the nutrients in the food. She never had the runs but her piles were large and the girl said it is because it isn't being used up ( the food ) in her system. She highly reccomended Canidae and I swithed over in hope that she would put on some weight before the dog show. 2 1/2 weeks later ... 81 pounds !!! That is 11 pounds in 2 weeks
. It may have been just time for a growth spurt but maybe the food change did help. I am going to really keep track. I changed ALL of my dogs over. The only problem I have had since is their farts REALLY STINK

i think thats what "control growth formula" is supposed to do...give them what they need not what they want,since growing too fast is not the best thing for a rott puppy,or any large breed for that matter...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice, I did some more research and we have switched over to Innova puppie food. She seems to like it and stools are a little more solid I am hoping it will make a difference. We also give her a little turkeyburger mixed with rice in the mornings. I was wondering though at 12 wks old and weighing roughly 20-25lbs how much food should she have? We have been giving here about 2.5 cups a day spread out through the day and she seems to leave a little at each serving but always cleans it up at the end of the day. Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The Innova is pretty good stuff. I am mixing that with my dogs food. The bag says 3-4 cups per day for a 12 week old pup weighing 20 - 30 lbs. I'm using the Innova EVO which may be different than their puppy food. They do put feeding instructions on the back of bag.

Just be careful changing them from one food to another in a hurry. Wean them over from one to the next over a week or two. The boiled burger and rice can't hurt either ! Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts