Rottweilers Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner of a beautiful 6 week old baby girl Rottweiler and I know very little about these animals. I have heard alot about the aggression and other things, but my sister-in-law has a1 1/2 yr old male and he is the biggest baby. Don't get me wrong he would protect when needed but never offers to bite my 3 year old son or our new pup. My question is are they hard to train? How long does the chewing last, if any? Are the females harder to have than the males?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also the new owner of a, now 3 month old female rott, and she is the best. Within 2 days of having her home I had her trained to sit, watch me, lay down, go potty (outside!), stay, come, and sit to a open hand of food until she hears the words "take it". They are extremely smart dogs and learn very quickly if you spend the time with them. I am a mother of three young children and we also have 1 turtle, 1 rabbit, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 2 rats, 5 hermit crabs, 5 hamsters and 3 fish....am I forgetting anything? They call me Mrs. Doolittle at Petsmart. Our puppy gets along with all of them, especially the children, is very gentle and loving. She did the playful chewing and snipping for a couple of days but we trained her not to do that also. You have gotten yourself a really terrific dog...just love it and spend time with it and work on training while she is young. She'll do great and everybody will be happy in the long run.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Hi and welcome,it's kind of slow here.It's hard to say which sex is harder to be around,it depends on the dog .Some chew some don't.I my self love training the boys,they are such big duffs.I have a puppy that is 8 weeks old .He is my 5th generation.I can't wait to start taking him to class and start getting him ready to show.

Do you keep your girl in a crate when you are not around.If not you should really look into getting one.They really work.

Donna

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Delana, I have a 16 month old female. She loves eveyone she meets. I have to agree with rutlyr on the crate. Dallas was never crate trained, I got her when she was 9 months. But she learned fast to what her kennel is for. Trainning, trainning trainning. Is all I can say. I have had alot of things to go though with Dallas do to the age I got her at.

Shell

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I am thinking of getting a rottweiler mix from a lady who had an accidental litter and needs the puppies to go to good homes. I heard that the male rottweilers are much harder to train than the females due to their dominance and independence. Most of my experience has been with male dogs and (in other breeds) have found them to more easy going and friendly. So now im utterly confused on which sex I should get. I would still prefer a male if there wasnt much of a difference in training but would get a female if it was the right thing to do. Has anyone had or known of anyone with experience traning both sexes of this breed.? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I have both and train both for Obed.I do like training the boys better.Once you get past the puppy issues then you will have a great dog.Boys are big duffes and girls are so busy tring to see what all the other girls are doing.They don't acall them bitches for nothing.

You can show mix breeds in Obed and Agility,and weight pullin UKC.It might be fun for you and your dog would love it.

Donna

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didnt know you could show mix breeds. I just came back from seeing the puppies and I have decided to pick a girl because the boy was HUUUUGE! I just didnt know how big he was going to get and I didnt want to take that chance. The girl is big and chubby and perfect. How do I get involved in such mix breed showing?? (The ONLY sign of her being part-Husky is that she has beautiful blue eyes...otherwise everthing about her looks like a rottweiler. )

Thanks,

Lindsay

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
To show a mix breed dog it must first be neutered,then you must down load a registration form from www.ukcdogs.com you will need to fill out form and mail it in and send proff of neutering to UKC.

On the web page it also tells you when obed and agility shows are coming up.

Donna

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.