Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New user here and wanted to get some feedback from the community. Recently picked up our new rottie girl. When we picked her up at 9 weeks she was only about 7 lbs. our vet confirmed she had giardia, so we have since treated that. She’s 14 weeks and now 16 lbs. still smaller than the “averages” you see listed online.
Sire was 126 and dam was about 85. Litter of 8 and all of the pups were about the same size when they went home. I’m thinking the giardia may have impacted her original puppy growth. She seems to be averaging about 2 lbs per week now.
I’m trying not to get caught up in the “averages”, but wondered if anyone had any experience with a smaller pup and if they caught up? I read that they can grow at different rates. Don’t get me wrong, I’m fine with whatever size she ends up being. My last rottie girl was 84 lbs and was perfect.
We’re feeding eukanuba large breed puppy food. Open to suggestions on alternative food if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! Giardia will set a pup back in growth and gaining weight, till they get rid of it out of their system. Did you let the breeder know that your pup was sent home with giardia?? 16 lbs at 14 weeks is on the smaller size...but female pups are often smaller. Most healthy Rottweiler male pups usually gain about 10 lbs per month. A female pup at that age should be around 20-25 lbs ...so she is not off by that much. Just make sure she keeps clear of re-infecting herself with giardia.

There are better quality foods then Eukanuba, but if she is doing well on it, leave her on it for now. You can add some fresh food to her diet....scramble an egg and add it to a meal, give her a few sardines in water to a meal, add a spoonful of plain yogurt to a meal, add some lean meat leftovers to a meal, add a few blueberries, or melon....just start slowly and watch her tummie. Be careful with treats and chews. Avoid rawhide and pig ears...they often upset puppy tummies.

Reactions: Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely look to add some of the extras you mentioned to her diet. I was considering changing her food and was looking into the orijen puppy large breed after reading some info online. Any thoughts on doing that? It looks like it doesn’t have the fillers that other foods do.

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
Orijen Large Breed Puppy is a great food, and will be a step up to what you are feeding. It's a meat based food. Just change over slowly. You do not want to cause tummy problems. It's a rich food and you don't want to overfeed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My pup is in the same boat. She will be 16 weeks on Tuesday. I weighed her a few days back at 18.4 pounds. Diagnosed with giardia after second trip to the vet. Hoping once that's cleared she can get back on track. I'm not interested in having a massive rottweiler but hope she grows to at least the minimum for a girl. How is your pup doing now? Would love an update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on your new pup! They are awesome dogs. So here’s the update: my girl has been growing pretty consistently since we got her home and finally rid her of the giardia. She was at the vet recently and at 6 months her official weight was 52 lbs. I measure her at about 21.5 inches tall. The vet said he anticipates her to be at least 80 lbs. so sounds like she is catching up and will be well within the breed standards. Let me know if you want any more info. I kept a weight along the way and she’s been pretty consistent

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrats on your new pup! They are awesome dogs. So here’s the update: my girl has been growing pretty consistently since we got her home and finally rid her of the giardia. She was at the vet recently and at 6 months her official weight was 52 lbs. I measure her at about 21.5 inches tall. The vet said he anticipates her to be at least 80 lbs. so sounds like she is catching up and will be well within the breed standards. Let me know if you want any more info. I kept a weight along the way and she’s been pretty consistent
That's wonderful news! Thank you for updating. I'm so glad to hear of a good outcome. So many of the small puppy stories are initial posts and then no follow up and I always fear the worst. I am hoping we can get rid of the giardia quickly, no telling how long she had it. But she has also been growing steadily as well, she's just behind. Really hoping this issue will be put behind us and we can just enjoy watching her grow. She's a sweet girl and we are all so in love with her, we just want her to be healthy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts