Rottweilers Online Forums banner

New Rotty nipped my friend unprovoked

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RottNDave 
#1 ·
Hi there, Im new to the forum and want to say hello to everyone. Thanks for having me.

My wife and I have a pack of Rotties. We have 4. The first three are Female age 6, Male age 4, and Female aged 2. We just recently rescued a 2 year old Kennel Kept Male because it was either take him in or watch him get put down due to severe hip displaysia.

For the most part (weve had him 3 weeks now) hes a great boy. very grateful, happy and seemingly calm. I live on a big property (40+ acres) and have a firend living on my property with my self and my wife. He lives in his own cabin at the other side of our cleared out lot (about 3 acres).

Anyways...getting to the point. My friend (russel) was walking out the front door earlier this afternoon and as he approached the door, my new Kennel Male (Kush) was near the front door. As Russel got closer to the door Kush, from a sitting-leaning position nipped out at Russels leg.

No damage was done, no one was hurt. I dont know how to deal with the fall out here. I have three other super well adjusted awesome, non agressive dogs. I feel like Kush could upset that balance if he is going to have random unporvoked incidents. I hesitate to call it an attack, because I dont know exactly if was agression or fear based, or if was merely just playing (there was a ball laying close to Kush) beahviour from a Dog that has spent the last 2 years of his life with little interaction whilke living in a Kennel.

I am trying some training techniques with him (lots of positive re-enforcement with liver treats, hahaha) and have been for the time weve had him. I am concerned by this recent incident though.

I dont know what to do, going forward. ANy help or suggestion or advice would be read and appreciated. Thank you, any and all, for your time I know evreyone is running out of time these days it seems so any help would be most appreciated and absolutely respected.

Thank You
DJ

See less See more
#2 ·
Very rarely is any bite/nip unprovoked. That said, don't let Kush hang out near the door when people are entering or exiting. Since he is new to your home (3 weeks there is still very new), he should have very few privileges compared to the established dogs. Practice NILIF - he must earn everything (google it, too much to explain here <lol>)

In terms of his health, I'd make sure Kush is kept very lean and well muscled to support his weak hips, also keep him on a very good joint supplement and pain meds (and YES, HD is painful - every damned day). Metacam and Tramadol are excellent medications for pain relief. His hips could be painful - hence the incident. Make sure he's been thoroughly vetted to rule out anything other than the HD causing pain.

I'd also keep toys picked up unless you are actively playing with the dogs. In my own experience, even with dogs that have lived together for years, a certain toy can become something very valuable to a dog - so at least in my house, all toys are picked up unless I'm playing with the dogs. One of my dogs could really care less about toys, the other will play until she falls over - and tosses toys everywhere - not safe! Because my dogs are never loose together (they do not get along) I COULD leave toys around all the time, I choose not to.

#3 ·
Agree Ann, very good advice.
When I read the post I pretty much understood the dog, but did not understand the OP for being surprised. You have a male kennel dog for only 3 weeks and all ready has the run of your place? He has not had a chance to learn the ropes. Being a kennel dog he doesn't know whats good, whats bad, whats naughty or nice. These thing have to be taught. Did he nip because he wanted to play ball, or did he nip guarding his toy or the door, pain response? I don't know. Rotties love to play but they are also guard dogs. Did you have proper introduction with your tenet? HD is painful. Meds will help.
Toys at my house are brought out only when one of us can be there to join in the play time. Just like Ann's place, they are picked up and put away. Supervised play only. They have to earn the right to them (NILF). You might say I am controlling, but my rules not theirs.

Reactions: Sheera'smom
#4 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I am going to post on this thread because it seems BEHAVIOR related. I am new and just learned that leaving toys around is not a good idea. Little shocking for me because I always leave TWO huge bones around for the dogs to pick up and play with as they please. I have a Boxer (16 months) and a Rottweiler (12 months). Ive never had a confrontation with them. Sometimes it does become a game between them to go after each others toy and chase each other. Its amusing to watch because you will watch the Rotti chase the Boxer behind the garage and then when they emerge - you see the Boxer chasing the Rotti. (The Boxer is the Alpha dog). But - as they grow older it could be problematic so lesson learned there.

My BEHAVIOR question is regarding my Rotti. I have always raised Boxers. The Rotti was dumped on me by my ex-fiance. His dog passed over the course of our living together (3 years). He insisted on getting another dog and I already had the Boxer puppy as I had recently buried my 12 year old Boxer. He clearly won the battle. He has since left and Buddy (Rotti) is still with me. He is a GREAT dog! He is loving and a big ham. He likes to chew - hence why the bones are always there for him to use and he uses them well. I am happy to say no damaged furniture, socks, shoes - nothing. He is FRIENDLY with other people and dogs. He is not aggressive. But he is HUGE! He is weighing in at 98 pounds and has tons more growing to do.

My FEAR is that when I am out with him and he is being greeted by people, he will be wagging his tail, hair is not raised, and he could even be smothering someone with kisses - BUT he growls while doing this. I dont like that. He does not growl with me EVER! He used to as a small puppy and I would say "NO" and he would stop. Why is he growling when all other signs say GO? He never shows teeth. Although - with ONE girl who visits our neighbors, he even showed teeth. In her case I pulled him away and told her it was best she just ignore him. So long as she was not in his face - he paid her no mind. But when she would INSIST on hugging and kissing him - he would growl - with teeth. (I placed him inside. Clearly she had no sense).

My other behavior concern is that he often whimpers - especially at night. I take him out to see if he needs to go to the bathroom. I check to see if he is thirsty. I provide him his bone to chew on. Finally I get aggravated and harshly tell him "GO LIE DOWN" and sadly he will go to his spot and lie down and sleep. Why is he whimpering?

Finally - I tried to send him off to two great homes. BOTH occassions he came back after the weekend trials. Both families told me they were devastated it did not work out. But at both places, Buddy whimpered and howled non-stop. He was soacked in his own sweat at one home when they woke and took him out of the crate to let him outside. We think it was separation anxiety? He clearly did not want to leave either my home - or his pal (the Boxer). I once took the Boxer to the vet and when I returned, Buddy was crying/howling in his crate and soaked in sweat. As soon as DJ (Boxer) and I returned - he was so thrilled he calmed down immediately.

I think I am stuck with Buddy. I am having them both neutered in two weeks. I figure they can both recover at the same time. My concern is that I have been told that Rottweilers change at the age of 2-3 and become aggressive. Is this true and will this become problematic having to male dogs who currently idolize one another under the same roof? Its HARD to imagine them ever not getting along. They sleep together, they eat side by side and neither tries to take the others food. The play together. They run on a tethered leash with me 3 miles a day and are always in rhythm. It would be heart breaking to see this bond break-up because of Rotti's breed.

Any feedback from people who have owned Rottis for a long time?

#5 ·
First off, wagging tails do not mean happy, they mean involved and alert. Dogs can be wagging their tails while fighting as well as playing. So when he's growling, he's telling people to BACK OFF. Doesn't matter if he's wagging his tail and doesn't have his hackles up. My rottie used the "Kiss to Dismiss" defense all the time with people who got too up close and personal. Nothing backs off a little kid quicker than a big wet tongue in the face and/or ear! :)

I don't know where you heard rotties get aggressive at 2-3 years. If anything they mellow out as they mature, but if they haven't been properly trained and socialized they will take over the house since they won't trust you to do it properly :) He is still young, even if he's big. Rotties aren't considered physically mature till around 2 years old. He's in his angsty teenage phase right now and needs lots of mental training to tire him out. Too much physical work can be hard on their growing joints, bones and muscles.

This soaked in sweat thing, dogs don't sweat. Do you mean he's drooled all over himself? If he's drooling that heavily, he's probably upset and anxious. Maybe even in pain. It does sound like your rottie has anxiety problems. This could be why he doesn't like other people in his face. Get him to the vet and have him checked out!

Having the dogs neutered is a good idea. Hopefully they will stay friends as they mature.

I know there are people on this site who are way more knowledgeable than I am about training and behavior than I am. So hopefully they will chime in too. Check out other threads in the forum, lots of good info on this site! Hope everything goes well!

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback Sheera's mom. Like I mentioned, I have always raised Boxers so this Rotti experience is new. However, the combination of the wagging tail, body expanded to reach in to the person doing the patting and the lack of raised hairs I have always known are systems are Go. I do not like being licked - so my dogs know not to lick me. However, they will give me the cold nose touches sometimes. That is how Buddy always starts his "petting sessions". When the underneath and subtle growl starts is when I feel he is saying "okay - petting time is over". This perplexes me because that dog would have me pet him all day if I would allow it.

Dogs sweat through their mouths. Therefore, that is his sweat and drool all over him when he is left alone - such as the vet incident. So that is what I meant. Sorry I did not clarify this.

Various people (and one who claimed to have raised Rottis) have stated they get dominant at the age of 2-3. I am thrilled if that is not the case - that was part of my reason to reach out on this forum - to clarify if this is true or not.

Buddy is very well socialized. He and DJ have their little click of friends at the dog park they see on a daily. He starts his training sessions on Monday as I have hired a professional to come to the house and work with the two of us - and DJ. So that should stimulate his mental capacity. As for physical - are you saying that I should not run him every morning for 3 miles with the Boxer and I? He enjoys it very much and returns home and the two of them sleep for a good 2 hours after our morning runs. (More like a fast walk - slow jog). I am not an avid runner by any means.

He sees a vet routinely who has declared that his conformation, disposition and hips, and overall health are all A's! (So it is not a pain thing for sure). Unless he is like my Boxer who ripped off a dew-calw running through the woods. That dog had NO IDEA he tore it off and didnt even try to lick it. It was the Rotti who would try to lick it. The Boxer could have care less. Some anti biotics and unneeded pain meds later - he is healed beautifully. Maybe my Rotti has same pain threshold?

He is very fit. I have him on an expensive raw diet. But the vet is also aware of the attempts to relocate Buddy and concurs that Buddy has unusually attached himself to me. He is a COMPLETELY different dog when I am in the room. He will sit and lift his paw for his shots if I am standing in the room with him. If I am not there - he will pull back. If they want him on the scale he will walk over and sit on it happily in one spot if I am there. When I am not - he will constantly move or walk off it. I give him instruction one time and he responds. It takes my sons 2-3 for him to listen. Not always - but when he is being playful. (So yes, the boys will work with Buddy too).

So - the professional expense it seems will be worth the investment - and keep ramoving Buddy from the petting situation - seem to be the right course of action. Thrilled to hear I was misinformed about the 2-3 year old aggression issue - is this true for everyone else on this forum that I was misinformed? (And yes, I will take this all up with the pros too. Just performing due dilligence as I have never raised a Rottweiler before).

The two bully dogs breeds living beautifully side by side. I know Boxers are bombproof and very easy to anticipate and are consistent in their lifelong behavior and friendly ways - has anyone else had a Boxer and Rotti live a long and uneventlful life? If that were to change - I would be crushed if one had to go. Especially now that Buddy has grown on me.

#7 ·
Every dog I was every bitten by was wagging their tail. I'm not as concerned about the tail as I am about the front end of the dog ;)

As for the two dogs being friends forever, that very well may change if both have strong personalities (I refuse to say one is dominant, etc... because I just don't buy into that baloney). My two females were best buds for several years - until they were not. BOTH decided I was a resource that needed to be guarded from the other dog - and all three of us bear the battle scars. As for the 'aggressive at two years old' thing - that's a crock of crap on a cracker. My dogs are 8 and 9 years old and the ONLY aggression they have is for each other, my vacuum cleaner and the noise from the garbage truck.

Definitely neuter them, definitely work each of them separately from the other. Make sure you can take one dog out of the house without the other having a kinipshin fit. I worked for a vet that bred boxers - he's also a vet and many of his clients are boxer owners. The number of aggressive boxers versus aggressive rotties we saw at that vet hospital is about equal.

I don't think BREED, per se, has anything to do with aggression. People say South African Boerbel dogs are aggressive - I'm sure they can be - especially the ones who protect South African farms from lions, etc...but the ones I know are great big babies who think they are lap dogs - I have no qualms about getting on the floor with them and rough housing.

I believe every dog, regardless of breed, is a product of their breeding, but also a product of their environment. Get a dog that goes nowhere, and it'll fear everything other than it's own yard/house. Get a dog that goes everywhere, experiences everything safely, and you'll have a well rounded, social dog that is welcome pretty much everywhere.

Reactions: Sheera'smom
#8 ·
New rotty nipped my friend unprovoked

Thanks for the feedback. I will make sure the trainor works with them individually. My dogs go everywhere I do - so that part is well covered. I even work in a dog friendly environment where they love seeing my two pups show up regularly. I am relieved to hear that is crap about the 2-3 year old thing. I think the neuter will definitely work in the long run BEFORE they both realize they are males. Im actually a little shocked they have not tried humping each other or anything for that matter. LOL. But, they are reaching that age and I want to deal with it sooner then later.

As for the low growl while petting thing (with the Rotti) - I will stick to the routine I have which is to respect he is done being pet by a stranger as tell them kindly that it's time for them and Buddy to move on.

I have raised horses and boxers without any problems - so I guess a Rotti is doable. :cool:

#9 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I will make sure the trainor works with them individually. My dogs go everywhere I do - so that part is well covered. :
Why aren't YOU working the dogs individually? If they go everywhere with you, then you should be the one working with them WITH the assistance of a trainer.

#10 ·
New rotty nipped my friend unprovoked

RottiMomCT: This is why I need to stay off these threads! Everyone makes assumptions. You do know the baseword for assumption is ASSUME and what it stands for right????

WHY would you ASSUME I am not ALREADY working with them individually?

I hired a trainor for the Rotti MERELY because I am not familiar with that breed. Boxers on the other hand - I could advise all day.

Maybe if you start this thread at the begginning you would see that I INHERITED this Rotti. I did not want him but it was a battle lost with my ex fiance who is now gone. I am a single mother. I am FORTUNATE that I am a web developer and can work from home. But maybe - instead of the quick jump to criticize (which by the way offers NO USEFUL FEEDBACK whatsoever) - just maybe you should be paying attention.

Here is a woman whose struggling to make ends meet, yet willling to make the investment of raising a Rottweiler (which I am sure you know is no inexpensive task). I am doing everything and anything I can that is RIGHT by him - by virtue that I love animals. This Rottweiler did not ask to be taken into my home - so as a RESPONSIBLE person - I am getting him trained, he is healthy, he is up-to-date with ALL vaccinations - he is loved, he is fed, he is sheltered, he is getting training - and he will be neutured. How about some recognition about ALL that . . . no I get "why aren't YOU doing such and such?" AMAZING

I have gone to classes with the TWO dogs with a lot of success for my walking purposes. It is just me and the two dogs on that bike trail every day and I want bomb proof dogs as they are both very large dogs. But someone suggested when the trainor come to my home next week that I should work with the dogs individually - so I was heeding THAT advice.

#11 · (Edited)
There is no specific type of training for any breed of dog - obedience training is obedience training. Raising any breed of dog is expensive, not just rotties. My former boss breeds boxers - I know what he's spent on dogs - breeding, showing, training, not to mention daily expenses. I am also pretty familiar with the Boxer breed because of the number of "Boxer people" that came to see him at his veterinary practice where I worked for 7 years. I saw some pretty hard to handle boxers and some really sweet ones, just like I saw many hard to handle rotties and very sweet ones...I never judged a dog based on breed, but I did judge alot of dogs based on their owners, because I was proven correct in that 'assumption'.

YOU stated the following: "I will make sure the trainor works with them individually." Which to me, tells me the trainer works with the dogs.

I have a full time job, two dogs that hate each other but get a ton of one on one time with me, I take them to training classes individually twice a week and teach classes once a week (five nights out of seven I am in class or teaching). I know how hard it is to have dogs (of any breed) that need attention and training. Ten years in rescue, fostering the tough dogs, which I accepted without complaint because I was comfortable working with them.

I never assumed anything - I replied to your quote noted above that you will make sure the trainer works with them individually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.