Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I hope everyone is healthy and well. My wife and I live in Boulder, Colorado and are looking to purchase another Rottie. This will be our 3rd and first in 10 years. Our male came down with bone cancer and had to be put down in 2010. We both miss the breed very much and have decided its time again. It is just the two of us with no plans of kids. I am 50 and my wife is 44. With that said, I have heard of some breeders here in Colorado and came across a breeder north of me. I was about to put down a non-refundable deposit today but did one last search. Turns out I am lucky I did that last search. I will leave you to guess who the man is but the amount of negative feedback all over google and in this forum is a bit daunting.

I come to you for advice. Can/Will you recommend a breeder within Colorado or a state away? I don't like the idea of having a dog shipped but if that is what it takes to get the dog we want then so be it. Any and all help is welcomed.

Basics:
- Female
- Limited or Full AKC registration
- Agility and companion dog (Trail running, camping, etc....)
- Willing to pay the money for a dog from a breeder that does something with their dogs (Not just a breeder solely)

Look forward to the feedback
Best-
Sean Callahan

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
Welcome! Glad that you did more research and did not put a deposit down on a puppy and saved yourself years of heartbreak.
You need to look at your states breed club. You need to find a breeder that is ethical and breeds the right way first....then a puppy. The breeder should have health certs/scores that are all verified on the OFA website www.offa.org That means for Rottweilers hips/elbows/eyes and heart (by a cardiologist vet), and JLPP If they have a website...the dogs registered names should be on the website, and links directly to OFA.

The breeder should do something with their dogs to prove that they are biddable and have the right temperament....That means conformation titles, and obedience or working titles.

I must say forget about getting full registration from an ethical breeder. No good breeder would hand you breeding rights to one of their pups without going through hoops. They do not want one of their dogs landing as a BYB dog.

With the way things that are going on now with the virus, many breeders are not breeding, or maybe plan on breeding in the fall. Are you willing to wait for 8 months to a year for a puppy?

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
I just did a quick google search for Rottweiler breeders in Colorado...and found a few worth getting in touch with.
www.cornerstonerottweilers.com also Home - Rottweiler vom Lauffeuer and Home Page Not sure where they are located in Colorado. ?...but from what I could see of their websites it looks like they are doing everything right.

Cornerstone Rottweilers Wildfire Rottweiler TCB Rottweilers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Sean - I am in a similar situation and would be interested in the route you ended up taking. My rottweiler passed away recently, and we're looking for a reputable breeder in Colorado. Would be great to hear how your experience was.

Thanks,

Chuck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts