Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Administrator
Welcome to the forums!! What a cutie. Start working on clipping those nails. It's best to start when they are young...clip a little each time...but clip often. Rottweilers seem to have a "thing" for nail clipping and having their feet touched. Make sure that is part of your training routine.

Administrator
Thanks so much for the feedback! I've ordered one that runs fairly quiet. Hoping we can make him comfortable. They certainly need to be filed down.
What did you order?? As he grows his nails will get stronger and harder to cut. I use a scissor type of sturdy nail clippers and then use a cordless Dremel to smooth the nails out. Just clip the very ends for now.... using lots of treats and praise. Try to get another pair of hands to help you for now. Mine got so used to it...they would just lay on the sofa and hold up their paws. I always got out a kraft cheese slice, and broke it into tiny bits. After each paw they got a piece, and after each paw dremeled ,they got a piece of cheese. At the same time I always brushed their teeth, and checked out their ears. It's usually a once a week or every 10 days ritual. If I have cheese left over...we do a few obedience exercises. One slice of cheese goes a long way!!! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did you order?? As he grows his nails will get stronger and harder to cut. I use a scissor type of sturdy nail clippers and then use a cordless Dremel to smooth the nails out. Just clip the very ends for now.... using lots of treats and praise. Try to get another pair of hands to help you for now. Mine got so used to it...they would just lay on the sofa and hold up their paws. I always got out a kraft cheese slice, and broke it into tiny bits. After each paw they got a piece, and after each paw dremeled ,they got a piece of cheese. At the same time I always brushed their teeth, and checked out their ears. It's usually a once a week or every 10 days ritual. If I have cheese left over...we do a few obedience exercises. One slice of cheese goes a long way!!! :)
I ordered a cordless Dremel. I was afraid of using scissors. His nails are black.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't order the Dremel brand but it is a quiet running drill. I was afraid to nail clip due to his black nails. Thanks for the feedback!:giggle:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts