Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2 year old male rottweiler, he is very calm, and neutral towards strangers (neither friendly nor aggressive). He is very well trained and walks off-leach perfectly, even in crowded areas. I often take him to dog events and let him loose between other dogs and people. Three weeks ago, he mated for the first time. I took him yesterday to a dog event and he was a totally different dog. He was trying to hump every dog regardless of breed, size, or gender. He attacked every person trying to greet him. He also was very stubborn in commands; I had to pull him hard for him to focus. I asked few people around my area who knows about dogs; most said that its a result of sexual disturbance and will go soon, and he is bullying after mating. A trainer at the event recommended that I get him a muzzle for a short term period, and socialize him with people till his issue has ended. What do you recommend me to do??

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Neuter him, and discuss his issues with the breeder you got him from - ask if any of his littermates have similar temperament issues. I know many intact male dogs that have no problems with anything before or after breeding a female.

If that were my dog, I'd have put him back in the car and gone home after the FIRST rude greeting. Last thing you, or the the breed in general, needs is a rottweiler attacking a person or another dog. But, I don't go to dog parks, and I am very selective of whom my dogs interact with - two AND four legged - to ensure happy and safe greetings for all.

Reactions: Sheera'smom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't buy him from a breeder, I got him as a gift since he was 3 months old. He never showed any signs of aggression until yesterday. I will not neuter him if the was another solution or an error correction as the trainer recommend to socialize with muzzle for a temporary period. I would also add that I have female German Shepherd and he didn't hump her or show any sign of aggression towards her. I would like to know if any had faced the same issue, and what he/she had done to solve it.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
A muzzle takes away a means of defense for your dog - thus causing more stress - and an off leash muzzled dog WILL get attacked because dogs will know he can't use his teeth to defend himself. Neutering will help with the aggression - testosterone is causing the outbursts.

Perhaps ask whomever bought him for you where the dog came from - although no reputable breeder will sell a dog that is a gift for someone - so again, I recommend neutering him. He is familiar with the GSD so probably won't have any issues with her - but unfamiliar people and dogs will be a problem.

An intact male rottweiler showing aggression (regardless of WHEN it starts) should not pass on his genes to future generations...he should be neutered. I know of an impeccably bred male rottie who was FINE with anyone two and four legged until he reached sexual maturity - and then the hormones started surging and he became very picky as to whom he liked. He was neutered once he finished in Championship and while he's not back to what he was, he's a dog that his people can live with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The muzzle should be put when the dog is around people not dogs, and instantly removed right after the person, or group, touches the dog and realize that they aren't a threat. He wasn't acting aggressive towards dogs after all, only around people. I asked his vet and another trainer today, they told me that he is passing through a normal temporary state and there are many females in heat around because it's mating season. I knew today that there were my females in heat at the event and that may be the cause of such actions. The vet suggested that I monitor him for the time being and see if he will improve before going to neutering, and predicted that his aggressiveness and stubbourness will not be present after the season ends.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I asked his vet and another trainer today, they told me that he is passing through a normal temporary state and there are many females in heat around because it's mating season.
Your vet is a bit of an idiot. There is no 'mating season' in dogs - well, actually there is - but it is the entire year. Dogs come into season throughout the year - which is why dogs are born every day, all year. Most female dogs come into heat every 6 months - but that varies depending on the breed and when the dog was born - a dog born January first will likely come into heat for the first time at about 9 months, so about Sept 1st, while a dog born Sept 1st won't come into heat until about June. Dogs born in June won't come into season until about March...

See where this is going...? After first heat cycle, the next one is about 6-7 months later - so 'mating season' happens all year round - so your dog will be like this all the time if he's around female in season. Have fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh okay I get it. I will give him some time for now. I will try to muzzle him around people for a short period, and I will give him some training session around other dogs and see how will he behave and improve. I have been training him since day one and he never showed bad attitude till that day so I'm not going to give up on him that easy. There is another dog event at the end of the month so I'll see how he'll wind up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I sure as heck hope when I go to dog events with mine, there aren't any "off leash" dogs roaming around.

Reactions: RottiMomCT

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I sure as heck hope when I go to dog events with mine, there aren't any "off leash" dogs roaming around.
No kidding, eh!?!?!?! At every dog friendly event I've ever attended there were signs clearly stating that all dogs must be on leash - and a few have even stated that Flexi-Leads were not allowed (LOVE to attend and support those events!).

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
hi shadi,

i'm too much of a noob to offer any advice, but it's an interesting issue. please post how you managed to solve the problem when the time comes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, problem is solved :)

The humping issue just stopped by its own as the trainer suggested.
As for aggression towards people, I muzzled him around strangers and removed it instantly after he got used to them. Last week I tried to socialize him without a muzzle and he didn't show any sign of aggression :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts