Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im new to the forum and wanted to say hello! And so does my 11 week old rotty, Frankie!

I have had dogs growing up, but after moving out from the family home, I haven’t had a dog for 25 years! I’ve finally got our baby boy, but looking for a bit of advice as his first night last night was a nightmare. He’s friendly and inquisitive, but did not like the crate one bit, and I had to sleep with him downstairs all night out of the crate as he messed in his crate.
Any advice ?

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Rottweiler

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts
Welcome to you and Frankie!! What a sweet looking pup. Hard to believe so much noise can come out of such a little pup...especially the first night.

This is all normal. Frankie has been taken away from his littermates and his home...and now he is with strangers and alone. He will eventually get used to the crate. I had a smaller crate for my pups beside my bed. This way I could hear them whimper and could get them out for poop/pee during the night. If they became restless in the crate and I knew they did not have to relieve themselves...I put my finger through the crate and reassured them. I kept a bigger crate downstairs to be used during the day. Eventually in a few weeks the pup got to sleep downstairs in the bigger crate.

There are lots of videos explaining crate training on youtube. It does take time and you will eventually be able to sleep...but he is very much a baby right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to you and Frankie!! What a sweet looking pup. Hard to believe so much noise can come out of such a little pup...especially the first night.

This is all normal. Frankie has been taken away from his littermates and his home...and now he is with strangers and alone. He will eventually get used to the crate. I had a smaller crate for my pups beside my bed. This way I could hear them whimper and could get them out for poop/pee during the night. If they became restless in the crate and I knew they did not have to relieve themselves...I put my finger through the crate and reassured them. I kept a bigger crate downstairs to be used during the day. Eventually in a few weeks the pup got to sleep downstairs in the bigger crate.

There are lots of videos explaining crate training on youtube. It does take time and you will eventually be able to sleep...but he is very much a baby right now.
Thank you for the advice! I was thinking the same have him in with us in a smaller crate and a bigger crate downstairs. Just have to persevere I suppose. I don’t want him getting in the habit of getting his own way, so will take a look at those vids, so thank you!

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome mate
My method some may find harsh, but I left mine all night downstairs in a crate and after a few nights they learnt that's how it was. I did take a week off work to settle and bond etc and was training small intervals incorporating into games at that age, bonding, making everything fun and most importantly tooling out religiously to potty every 30mins whether they looked like they wanted to or not. Loads of praise when they did go and if not 30mins later all day everyday until they went to bed. My latest pup Ralph was trained in 3days (my quickest) but my other took a few months. Best of luck and he looks great

1 - 6 of 6 Posts