Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They talk a good talk,but first off all the dogs are kenneled.A good breeder has all their dogs as part of the family,not part of the scenery.They talk about good working lines yet none of the dogs they breed have any working titles.

Just an other puppy machine.To bad people fall for breeders like this who think they are helping the breed.

Donna

·
Registered
387 Posts
why some many breed in one kennel? I thought if you are ging to breed and show you should only have one breed.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have more breeds you can make more money.

If you are going to try and do it right then you should only be breeding one breed,and not so many.How can you train that many dogs,and put titles on them all before breeding them?

I din't see any health clearences either.

Donna

·
Registered
235 Posts
They are near me, I wouldn't buy a pup, dog or chew toy from them. The set-up they have is not very pet friendly. The dogs are kept in small kennels and I really don't car efor the look they produce. They also tend to get irritated when you start to ask a lot of questions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought my third Rottie from Schomberg kennel'sprior to this purchase I did some research on them. I contacted the local better business bureau. Not a single complaint. I know a little bit about the breed but do not have extensive knowelge. I do not believe they breed just for the money. They recently lost one of there prize studs (shakespare) and they had a grave with headstone in the backyard. I get an occassional email from them asking how the Rottie is doing that I purchased. WhenI came to pick up thepuppytheyhave a small book with all there dog pedigrees and titles. I do have a couple small issues. One, he did have worms (taken care of now) the paperwork I got from them showed three de-worming treatments were completed. Second,she made some claims against Iams (causing tumors in dogs) (I believe this problem with tumors is not specific to one manufacturer of dog food but to all dry dog food brands). I am thrilled at the quality of Rott that I got and will purchase my next one from them.

Pete

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They do not health test all their dogs.Some of their dogs have hips done but not all.Their dogs have no titles,but have titles in the back ground big deal all dogs do.

I have been in contact with people in that area and next time they try to get bigger I will be there fighting for the breed I love.

Having more then one litter In MY opinion constitutes a puppy mill.They do not breed to improve butjust for the money.If they really cared about the breed they would title their dogs and breed to the standard not over sized.

If they cared for the breed they would sell pups on a spay neuter contract,instaed of selling people dogs they can breed and be like them.

One loss to them is a great gain for the breed

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
rutylr said:
They do not health test all their dogs.Some of their dogs have hips done but not all.Their dogs have no titles,but have titles in the back ground big deal all dogs do.

I have been in contact with people in that area and next time they try to get bigger I will be there fighting for the breed I love.

Having more then one litter In MY opinion constitutes a puppy mill.They do not breed to improve butjust for the money.If they really cared about the breed they would title their dogs and breed to the standard not over sized.

If they cared for the breed they would sell pups on a spay neuter contract,instaed of selling people dogs they can breed and be like them.

One loss to them is a great gain for the breed
Wow, that was kinda cruel. Not a lot of " dog dealers " would go through the trouble of a grave with headstone. Never will every breeder see eye to eye. I try to stay away from topics like this. I guess it all comes down to how you are treated, how healthy the pup was that you bought, and how well they stand behind what they sell. I guess all that really matters is how the buyer feels about their prrchase.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This breder is here in WI I see what crap they produce everyday.I have tried to help people train some of theses dogs with bad temperments.And I was being nice.They were trying to get over 100 Rottweilers so they could breed them like the pigs they use to breed.Puppy mill non the same.

Their dogs are not part of the family.If you have so many dogs they have to be kenneled away from you and not in the home you should not own them.

[url]http://www.co.la-crosse.wi.us/Minutes%20and%20Agendas/Minute s/2003/Standing%20Committees/PRD102703PubHrMin.htm [/url]

[url]http://www.sunshineband.org/forums/showthread.php?s=af6e6d6a ffb7b0ba26e15dfc6cf003bf&p=188#post188 [/url]

These are not people who should be breeding dogs.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
OH MY ! That first one was a LOT of reading and I read every word. I am going to have to rest now so I can come back and read the second one. I never realized reading was so tiring

The first one was interesting reading. I will read the other before the day is over. Thanks for the links

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Well, the 2nd one was much shorter.

Very interesting reading BUT I can't pass judgement on anyone without first hand knowledge. 200 puppies is a LOT of puppies to pump out in a years time BUT if the people do as they say they will do they may be able to produce some quality pups. I highly doubt that they WILL produce 200 puppies every year but I guess that is a possibility. They say they don't sell off a whole litter at a time and that is usually what a puppy mill would do. They say they try to educate people interested in a pup BUT , I don't know first hand if they do that or not. They have a regular vet who gives them a good reference and that counts for something. If you go to a dog rescue... one of their biggest concerns / references is what your vet tells them about how you treat your dogs / pets in the past. They KEEP their old dogs or home them with a pup, that says something about their character.

I can't begin to imagine what it is like to try and keep 100 dogs at a time. I won't evenpretend to know. Member rottnbul has told me in the past that that state is a kind of poor state and that MOST jobs only pay $7 per hour. IF that is the case maybe the people really need to run a money making business to save the farm so to speak and support a family with 5 children. Again, I don't know their situation. I read both articles and the one person who turns up in protest of these people is a back yard breeder himself Reed Pomeroy ( a hobbiest who only has two litters per year ) , they should have thrown him right out of there, who is he to pass judgment. I guess he is a registered kennel but so what, he says he does it as a hobby.

THANK YOU DONNA for starting this thread. Threads like these are what makes people think about what is really going on. I don't want to take sides but I enjoy a good educational conversation

·
Registered
223 Posts
Donna, isn't the one dog, Gustav I think it said, the one whose picture was posted in a thread about dogs with roach backs? Either way his conformation is very bad. There's one of their dogs that shouldn't be bred.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He is what they call high in the rear.he has a dip in the shoulders and his rear is higher then the shoulders.He's front is also bad(in that picture)not straight.

When you breed for size,and moneyit doesn't matter if they are correct or meet the standard.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
To tell the truth some of the dogs are not very good looking. I wouldn't want a Gustov on my home page with his butt up in the air like that and no fore-chest. His head is very wet looking too. I would imagine ( hope ) people know what they are looking at. In this country everyone has the right to own a business. I think that a breeders home page says a lot about what they are selling. I sure hope they don't make 200 puppies because ... well I'd rather not say that they have ugly parents

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
This subject makes me so furious and sad at the same time . I think there should be a law specifying how many dog's you can have at one time ( that are ofbreeding age andNOT spayed ) and how many litters one dog can have in a specified period of time !I know there are many pro's and con's on the subject andeveryone's civil rights and all ......butI feel a dog should be a part of the family , whether it be a show dog or just a loving family pet ! People who have 200 or more dogs are a Puppy Mill and nothing more they are in it for the MONEYplain and simple ! I wish I could put any person that does thisto any kind of animal in their shoes just for ...oh let see ....a couple of weeks or so, just so they can see how it feels ? Which is just a fraction of some poor dogs time in that situation,many dogs live their whole life treated this way !!!With no human contact ! No interaction of any kind ! It's so sad ...
Just my 2 cents !!!

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Kitty said:
This subject makes me so furious and sad at the same time . I think there should be a law specifying how many dog's you can have at one time ( that are ofbreeding age andNOT spayed ) and how many litters one dog can have in a specified period of time !I know there are many pro's and con's on the subject andeveryone's civil rights and all ......butI feel a dog should be a part of the family , whether it be a show dog or just a loving family pet ! People who have 200 or more dogs are a Puppy Mill and nothing more they are in it for the MONEYplain and simple ! I wish I could put any person that does thisto any kind of animal in their shoes just for ...oh let see ....a couple of weeks or so, just so they can see how it feels ? Which is just a fraction of some poor dogs time in that situation,many dogs live their whole life treated this way !!!With no human contact ! No interaction of any kind ! It's so sad ...
Just my 2 cents !!!

have you even looked at his web site ???????

this guy has some big clientel

if i was closer to ohio i sure would buy one of those k9 miltary dogs

you should check out his web site and all the certificates and letters

there before jumping on the band wagon

not everyone likes the way everyone else breed THEIR dogs

this is still america

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are looking at the first link everyone else is commenting on the second.

It's not hard to have a dog with all those titles if you buy them that way and then breed the crap out of them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
...and I wouldn't care if they titled all 200 dogs themselves! That's still far too many dogs for ANYONE to breed, no matter HOW good they are. Too many dogs are put to sleep every day for one breeder to pump puppies out like that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Before I get into this conversion..2bad Not all of Wisc is in proverty level. The larger cities have industry tomaintain a healthy lifestyle. I live in Adams County,this area of Wi is lacking theeconomics of industry.

The newer Rottweiler owners need to learn from the past!

This kennel..pig farm.. Schmobergs had it's start from many of the KIMBERTAL KENNELS breedings.In reading this forum..many of you also do visit other rottie sites. Doa search on KIMBERTAL on some of those forums! You will then know why some of us owners of Rottweilers cringe when KIMBERTAL/Schombergis brought up.

As for the new owner of a Schomberg pup. I sincerely hope your baby will stay healthy!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
rutylr said:
It's not hard to have a dog with all those titles if you buy them that way and then breed the crap out of them.

I read both of the articles and I agree with Donna . It's a shame that there are places like this ......as Donna said they breed the crap out of them !!! Those poor dogs my heart goes out to them !!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts