Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. I spend the majority of the time with Creasey. She is 10 weeks and we've had her for two. My husband works two jobs. When he comes home she licks him to death and listens to him for the most part. It is obvious why. But, she is pretty brutal with me. I have open cuts on my hands and arms from her teeth when she comes at me.It is usuallyafter a few minutes ofplaying or when my husband gets up after playing with her...shewill actually come over andbite at me! Why is she so aggressive towards me? She's biting the hand that feeds her, pets her, loves her, bathes her, blah, blah, blah....please help.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Your husband is the boss and you are not that is why she is biting you.You have a puppy out of high drive parents you need to get a handle on her now.

I will find you some stuff to read.Get her to class as soon as possible.

http://www.animalforum.com/dpuppy101.htm

Also read the stuff on the bottom.You are the boss the puppy is little take control now.You don't want an 80lb dog doing this to you.

Donna

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
as always great article for the puppy people ....

those lil teeth are sharp ...

just wait till you get to hand to hand combat training ..... my boy busted

my nose .... and at almost three y/o i have to wrap my self with

thick padding i use towels ...

you should take the ALPHA role quickly ..... dont let him be your husbands

dog ..... if you are the one home all the time with him ....

THE EASIEST WAY TO STOP SOMETHING IS TO NEVER START IT !!!

i know your baby is a lil young yet BUT a stern word from mom is

much more efective then a rolled up news paper ....

" rotts a ruck "

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone! I have a pretty high voice but I get it as stern as possible. I pin her when she bites. If ithappens again she goes into her crate forjust a few minutes. She's calm when she comes out. Problem...she goes outsideas soon as shecomes out of the crate (or else she pees in the house). When she comes back inshe's usually pretty rowdy (even if we do not play after she has gone to the bathroom). My husband has noticed the same thing. She's learning though. A week ago I was crying in pain and frustration. This week seems to be going a little more smoothly. I start back to work later this week so she will beon a definite schedule. She's on one now, but I'm home during the day so we play sometimes. I have to remember we've only had her two weeks.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Melanieu said:
If ithappens again she goes into her crate forjust a few minutes. She's calm when she comes out. Problem...she goes outsideas soon as shecomes out of the crate (or else she pees in the house). When she comes back inshe's usually pretty rowdy (even if we do not play after she has gone to the bathroom). My husband has noticed the same thing.

Can I ask you a few questions.

1) Do you train your puppy with a leash and collar, no matter where your located, inside and/or outside your home?

2) Do you do long sits/downs and stays with your dog?

3) Can you easily roll your dog over at any time without resistance?

4) Do you take your puppy out to go potty on a leash or just let her out in a fence?

5) Why do you useher crate for only a few minutes, when she's overly excited?

6) Can you take any item from your dog without resistance?

7) Have you gone to any formal obedience classes from a respectable and knowledgeable dog trainer familiar with our breed?

·
Registered
387 Posts
All I know is what I am going thought with Blu. He knows I am alfa, but still trys to play with his mouth. He will hold my arm and try to walk me. I always tell him no and he will release me. Nevr has he left a mark on me, he still trys from time to time.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Hey we are all about learning here.What good is knowledge if we don't pass it on?

If I find it surfing I'm posting it for all(and also if I need it on another list I know where I can find it)

Donna

·
Registered
144 Posts
rutylr said:
This is their first Rottweiler puppy.So they are learning.

Donna

Asking questions is a way for me tounderstand their situation over the Internetwithout personally seeing and knowing how the owners areinteracting with their dog.Am I out-of-line for trying to help?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
No just trying to let you know more about them.If you look under looking for a puppy.That will tell you more about them also.

Always could use more knowledge.

Donna

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1) Do you train your puppy with a leash and collar, no matter where your located, inside and/or outside your home? Yes. More outside than in.

2) Do you do long sits/downs and stays with your dog? Not long ones.

3) Can you easily roll your dog over at any time without resistance? Yes

4) Do you take your puppy out to go potty on a leash or just let her out in a fence? Yes on a leash.

5) Why do you useher crate for only a few minutes, when she's overly excited? I know it should not be used as punishment. We are working on that. Bad owners!

6) Can you take any item from your dog without resistance? Sometimes she tries to play tug of war. We use the work "break" and she lets go most of the time.

7) Have you gone to any formal obedience classes from a respectable and knowledgeable dog trainer familiar with our breed? Not yet. She is 10 1/2 weeks. All of the ones around our area say 12 weeks and older.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way, I got a bell last night for her housebreaking. It's just a desk-top bell like teachers use. She has rung it a couple of times already and went as soon as we went outside. If it catches her eye, she plays with it and carries it around the house! Good lord!!! Every time she goes near it I ring the bell and say "let's go outside" and "wanna go to the bathroom?", take her out and treat her when she goes.
We'll see how it works.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry it took so long getting back with you. I'm having some issues to deal with... and it takes me away from being able to relax some online.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to answer my questions. To refer to them...

1) You should try to also train inside with collar/lead, as well as outside. The reasoning behind this, if you have an inside dog, they need to learn proper manners inside just as much as outside. It gives you the edge and better control thatyou need, when you need it.

2) Since you don't do long sits and downs - knowing that you have a puppy - you should try to practice short and fun sessions each day several times a day with kindness, fairness, but firmness.Persistence will reward you in the end! These are vital and key obedience skills you need for a dog that will be as large as a Rottweiler. It teaches the dog, that you as the owner, is in control and can give it permission when to "Get up". If most people would teach their young puppies long sits and downs early on, especially inside the home as well as inpublic places, many aggression problems do go away on there own when your in control.

3) Continue to periodically roll your dog over in this fashion. If you have any trouble, at that moment, nip it in the bud!

4) Glad too hear you use a leash for a young pup. What you need to start doing is some short and fun sessions of proper leash training. Don't let the pup forge ahead of you or bully you in any fashion. If you do this with great gusto, you will have years of enjoyment down the road, and this will also give you some control over your dog, before it gets way too big.

5) First off, don't say your a bad owner... you're seeking advice and care about your dog! Bad owner's don't do that!!!

What you need to do is make the puppy go in a down/stay when getting out of control or overly excited. This is why I mentioned using training inside as well as out. I don't necessarily care for leaving collars on a dog all day, but if you get a clasp break-away nylon collar with no tags on it, the pup should be safe in most daily circumstances, and it will give you a way to grab your pup when it gets into these situations with biting you... but also grabbing the fleshy throat area when needed, works wonders!

You need to teach the dog not to bite no matter what! You should be able to place your whole hand in your dog's mouth and it not to bite down. You should also teach the word "Ouch"! Any teeth on any part of the skin - you scream it loud, clear, with meaning. You should only have to do this once.

Use your crateas a tool to keep the dog out of trouble before it learns, is fine, so long as you're doing it in a way that doesn't make it hate the crate. You need to be smarter and faster thinking then your dog... fool them into something, and you get what you need done.

6) I see you use break - I use "Aus" or 'out' and even "leave it". Whatever works for you is great! You should be able to get something from your dog without the tug going on - this is big time problems down the road if you don't get a hold of it now. You need to take all toys away - put them in a place the pup can't get to - and then give them only after a short training session as a reward. Let the pup know these are your items and so is everything else in your household, and the pup will learn to ask to use them... Masters own everything in the wild - so dogs feel that any possession is dominance. Down the road - after much training and the dog is under control - you can then usually introduce items back to the dog without a problem.

When you do some training on leash, teach your pup to "leave it". Walk by the pups favorite toy, treat, etc. and give a correction if it goes near it. Teach the pup it can only have something if you say so! Also, reward heavily with play times, etc. for a job well done. Make your training fun, but firm. When you get into training, you should be able to place your dog in a long stay, put a piece of treat in front of its nose on the ground, leave the room, come back - the dog better still be there and so should the treat! You will learn great things in class!!!

7) Thank you for letting me know what age your pup is - this is the perfect time to be training it at home before you go to class. Training starts immediately when you bring a pup home.

May I suggest you get 1 very good basic obedience book that has pictures and instructions to show you how to train a puppy with positive reinforcement and rewards, but also firmness - take that book and learn from it - then try to teach your puppy, as your learning. Each member of the household should do the same.

Best of luck too you - Donna posted some good sites for you to learn from, as well!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much for ALL of your time and advice. You guys are amazing on this site. It's obvious that you care for these animals dearly. She is getting slightly better. She will sit/down/stay briefly. We are working on longer ones. She's been under the weather lately so I've let her be. She on her way back so the training will begin again soon. She is still biting pretty badly. We are looking into obedience classes. We'll see. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Glad to hear she is getting a bit better.Hopefully going to class will help both of you.She comes from a high drive back ground and needs to be kept busy.

Donna

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, we had our first health scare. Creasey Bear is what you would call a "grazer". She will eat everything and anything you put in frontof her, including grass, rocks, and her favorite- sticks! She has apparently been picking up small pieces of concrete off of our driveway (we live in a new development and they are still building). She was lethargic and had diarhea only when taken outside.One set of x-raysshowedthe pieces. The next day she had another set taken and they are on their way out. Thank god! Her appetite never changed, but we had her on white rice and boiled chicken for a week to help, as well as two prescriptions for upset stomach and diarhea. Activity wise she is back to normal. We have to buy a cage muzzle until she (hoopefully) grows outof this. Mommy(and even Daddy) were very upset and really scared. All's well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts