Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of advice. I have a 22 mo old unaltered male that I got when he was 7 weeks old from a reputable breeder. He has been socialized with people and other dogs but in the last 12 months we have had 5 episodes of aggression towards myself and my husband. He has bit me twice and my husband 3 times and it has been out of the blue for no reason and unprovoked.This last episode was yesterday. We took him with us to do laundry and my husband took him for a walk and they came across an electrical box in the ground and of course our boy was curious and my dog got shocked. My husband was furious because it should not have been hot. My husband checked him over to make sure he was ok and then they walked back to our vehicle and our pup just out of the blue growled his hair stood up and just bit my husband on the hand pretty good. He is a very sweet and loving boy and we just don't know what to do. It's very scary. We absolutely love this dog but we can not have this unexpected behavior. We do have a female rottie that we rescued and they both get along very well. He is our 4th rottie and we have never had this issue with the other three. We have read several things stating that it can be a medical issue or a sudden burst of testosterone. Will getting him altered help with this? And possibly more training?

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!! This is not normal! I have had Rottweilers for many years....my own, and fosters and have never been bitten, or even attempted to have one bite myself, or my husband, or family. There is either something wrong in the relationship you have with your dog (lack of training, lack of respect, etc.) or he is not wired right?? :(

How much training has he had? Any formal training? What is his day like? How much exercise does he get? How much time training per day does he get??
Look up NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) and start implementing it into his life. Get him off the sofas, off of the bed...and make him work for everything that he needs or wants. You tell him to "sit" and he sits right away, you tell him to "down" and he hits the floor, etc. This is a non confrontational way of getting him back in line and showing him that you are the leaders...and that he is not in charge.

I would start by having him neutered. He's old enough now to have all the growth he needs for the testosterone needed for his development. Over load of testosterone does not help, and it may be easier to work on training and getting him back to respect you. It will take about 6 weeks for the hormones to be out of his system.

I would also look for a trainer...someone that works with working breeds, a balanced trainer. A pet trainer is not going to do much good at this stage.:( If there is Schutzhund clubs around...that's where I would ask.

Once a dog has learned to bite....he knows that he can now. Be careful!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. I did look up NILIF and will start implementing this.
The only training he has had is from my husband and I. No other training. We live in the country and I work from home and have since I got him.
A typical day for him starts at 5am. He goes out to go potty then I feed them in his kennel and they are in the kennel until about 10 am. They come in the house until noon and then we take a 15 min walk. He comes back in until I get off work at 2:30. We take another walk around the property and play ball for about 20 min. Then my husband comes home and he becomes daddy's boy. They are working on fetching right now. Then he pretty much follows my husband around until we go to bed. That's pretty much his day.
I am going to make an appointment with the vet and get him neutered asap. We love this boy and don't want to get rid of him. I'm willing to do whatever it takes.
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I am not as experienced as BBD (by a long shot) but I would suggest he needs a lot more exercise.

Can you do longer walks? Start running with him? (You could start together if you don't already run) Are there any trails/parks nearby you could hike with him on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
All subject literature states that a future owner of a Rottweiler must be the dominant one in the rottie's life. Must be the boss. If you're having trouble let your puppy hear in no uncertain terms who is the boss. Be the one with the loudest bark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts